Sea Ray 220 BR Remodel

SeaRay220Aric

Recruit
So after 40 years of boating, I decided to do a complete remodel of a 1993 Sea Ray 220 BR. I purchased this boat this past August knowing I was going to take this on over the winter. I did use this boat to finish out the season. It runs and drives great. I have started removing everything from the boat and I just need to pull the engine and transom plate to remove the remaining decking and stringers. I will then begin the daunting task of grinding the fiberglass where the old stringers were. So I just have a few questions for right now: 1. Can I just chip away the "butter" used to seat the stringers to the fiberglass with a scrapper and light tapping with a hammer? 2. What should I use to grind down the high spots left over? 3. Is it possible to actually get the stringer drawings/templates of the stringers? Thanks for reading and any advice will be greatly appreciated...

alldodge

Staff member
1. You can but your going to need more tools. I would suggest a vibrating saw, with a lot of blades. I use the half moon bi-metal ones

2. Either a sander, grinder and a vibrating saw

3. There is a possibility to get drawings from Searay, but most just save what they can of the stringer, lay it out to make their own template

jbcurt00

Staff member
3. There is a possibility to get drawings from Searay, but most just save what they can of the stringer, lay it out to make their own template
Really? Never heard that before. Interesting.

Else, AllDodge gave great advice. A Multi-tool w a half moon blade is an awesome stringer removal tool.... plus it can get down close to the hull w minimal highs left behind.

tpenfield

Staff member
Answers . . .

1) Are you sure you will run into 'butter' between the stringers and the hull? Production boats may not really do much to isolate the stringer. I would use a cutting tool to get as close to the hull without cutting into the hull.

2) Grind off any high spots with a 36 grit (or rougher) sanding wheel.

3) Contact Sea Ray for drawings of the stringer layout. There was a fellow on here @drewm3i a while back who was doing stringer work on a Sea Ray 270 and he was able to get drawings from Sea Ray.

SeaRay220Aric

Recruit
1. You can but your going to need more tools. I would suggest a vibrating saw, with a lot of blades. I use the half moon bi-metal ones

2. Either a sander, grinder and a vibrating saw

Thank you for the response. I will be purchasing a bunch of blades tonight for my oscillating saw. I have sent a request to Sea Ray for the drawings but have not heard back as of yet.

SeaRay220Aric

Recruit
Answers . . .

1) Are you sure you will run into 'butter' between the stringers and the hull? Production boats may not really do much to isolate the stringer. I would use a cutting tool to get as close to the hull without cutting into the hull.

2) Grind off any high spots with a 36 grit (or rougher) sanding wheel.

3) Contact Sea Ray for drawings of the stringer layout. There was a fellow on here @drewm3i a while back who was doing stringer work on a Sea Ray 270 and he was able to get drawings from Sea Ray.
I assume this "blob" of beige coloredIMG_0662B.jpg stuff is what people refer to as "butter".

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup . . . some sort of adhesive. Hopefully you have taken lots of measurements to refer to when you rebuild the structure.