Sea Ray 180 3.0 Prop

bebecker

Cadet
I just purchased a Sea Ray 180 with the Mercruiser 3.0. <br /><br />It runs 4300 rpm (max WOT is 4200-4600 for the 3.0) at 32.7 mph gps trimmed up for max rpms without ventilation with a 15.5 x 17 Black Max aluminum. This is with one person 12 gallons fuel with little gear.<br /><br />Time to plane is decent, but it has no bow lift.<br /><br />This prop seems too large as the zinc anode was cut to make the 15.5 fit, looks stupid! <br /><br />I know the standard rules for pitch 1" 200 rpm and so on. However, I can't seem to find a rule for drop in diameter and resulting increase in rpm. Can anyone help me here? In addition, how much difference will a vented (drilled) prop make in hole shot/rpm?<br /><br />The boat will be used for crusing and watersports. I don't really care about top speed as a 3.0 won't win any boat races. I am looking mainly for holeshot and ability to plane at slow speeds for wakeboarding.<br /><br />I would like to go SS, but I would buy the right alum. I know I will need to try props, but just looking for some ideas on where to start.<br /><br />Should I stick with a 3 blade or go 4? Is a 4 blade that much better for watersports? What brand/model line should I be looking at? (Mirage, Rapture, Tempest, etc)<br /><br />I was looking at a 14.25 x 15 SS Rapture vented. Do I need to stick with a 17P with an 1 drop in diameter?<br /><br />A lot of questions, and I am sure a lot more testing. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.<br /><br />Rubicon

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Sea Ray 180 3.0 Prop

4300 by yourself is not good...<br />The diameter of a given prop is not as important as pitch...other factors come into play for diameter, such as weight of boat, where larger blade area is helpful in the "Push" mode.<br />You're about 400rpm low of where you should be alone at the least. If you have less than 30-40 hours on this rig, it may gain a bit going through break-in.