Sea King 9.6 Bogging Issue

I believe i have a 1970 (?) Sea King 9.6 HP in great shape. M/N is VWB27009A & S/N is 10643. Engines idles and revs fine in neutral and even seems to rev fine in gear while in a 55 gal drum of water. But on the boat in the lake under load, engine bogs badly until it dies. Removed the flywheel, cleaned the points (they were bad), regapped to .020. Everything else under there looks like new. Only carb adjustment i find is a screw on top the carb, parallel with intake throat. Regardless of screw position, engine runs the same. Not sure how entire fuel delivery system works. Not sure if throttle plate timing is 100% correct. All i know is it ran fine for years and 1 day started this BOGGING issue. Yes, the gas is fresh at 50:1 ratio. The fuel tank is even older with an adjustable vent in the cap. Should it be open or closed while operating. Any recommendations to end this mystery would be greatly appreciated. Also, i would love to find a manual for this engine. Tried Ken Cook's without luck & the closest i came on iboats is for a Chrysler but nobody listed a 9.6 that i saw. Sorry for the length of this post. Just trying to be as specific as possible. Thanks again, Jeff.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea King 9.6 Bogging Issue

Your motor is Chrysler just a derated 9.9.
See if a little choke helps.And try squeezing the primer bulb.
If the choke helps it indicates a carb rebuild with attention to good cleaning of asll passages and jets.If primer bulb helps it indicates a weak fuel pump or other problem in the fuel system.Is it cooling right and when did you last change the impeller?

Primer bulb squeezing does nothing (tried that before & forgot to mention). Will try the choke trick. I assume it's cooling as there is water coming out of the exhaust ports spitting into the lake. Never knew how that water was conveyed so for the impellor question im gonna go with never. Deffinately not after 1988 when I acquired it. That said, it has only been run a couple dozen times since then too. A few times a year is all it gets used. I hope to change that this year.
So, if it does need parts (carb rebuild kit, impellor, etc) where do I get them for this older motor?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Even though not much use an impeller change is in order.
There are impeller and carb and Fuel pump kits here at iboats.
Only a one type carb and fuel pump and they are listed under Chrysler 9.9.
the 9.6 seaking appears in 70-73.These kits cover lots and lots of Chryslers whether your Seaking is included I don't know.If iboats will let you return them give them a try.
You could also try the Chrysler Crew.
and Langs outboards.

Now that i know it exists, i agree. Cant find 1 on iboats. I will try 1 of your other suggestions. Had the carb off today. It's a Tillotson MD 144A. pretty basic setup so i dont know what would come in the kit other than gaskets. Flushed it all out (looked good to start with) and reassembled. Will try running tomorrow. Can a fuel pump diaphram be cut from stock if i need one and cant locate a replacement?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It takes the same 010790 like all the other Chrysler's. That was the nice thing about Chrysler's, a lot of interchange amongst models.

OK, call me stupid but i cant find this part # on iboats. I believe you are correct with the interchange, just cant find it. Help!