SEA FOAM

muskytroller

Seaman Apprentice
I would like to give sea foam a try.<br /><br />Does anyone know were I can get it in the Toronto Canada area?<br /><br />Also, can sea foam be used in diesil engines?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: SEA FOAM

Sorry muskytroller, SeaFoam is currently not distributed in Canada, and cannot be shipped across the border. You may be able to hand carry it across the Canadian border, but ask before you try it.<br /><br />Yes SeaFoam can be used in gas or diesel, 2 stroke or 4 stroke engines.<br /><br />Every major outboard manufacturer has their own branded product. Check with your local outboard shop, or auto supply store.

KCLOST

Commander

Have you ever tried to replace your head gaskets?? ;) ;) :p

muskytroller

Seaman Apprentice

Too bad Sea Foam is not sold in Canada.<br /><br />Are you inplying that Sea Foam or Outboard Maufacturer's products may harm my head gaskets?<br /><br />If so, will it happen in all applications (2ST, 4ST and Diesels)?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

KCLOST had a head gasket incident that coincided with his use of SeaFoam. It occured withing minutes of him adding it to the gas tank. He is convinced that SeaFoam is the cause.<br /><br />I have read many many hundreds of testimonials of SeaFoam, and use it myself, on every engine I have, including my tow vehicles, lawn mowers, and generator, and transmissions. I have never heard of anyone else having a gasket failure linked to, real or imagined, the use of SeaFoam.<br /><br />It was developed by/or for OMC many (65) years ago, and every engine manufacturer has its own similar product that they recommend for maintaining and decarbing their engines.<br />Mercury has a product called Power Tune.<br />Yamaha's is called Ring Free.<br /><br />Decarbing is a very important maintenance procedure, needed to keep your rings free and carbon deposits down.<br /><br />Use the search feature at the top of the page and search for SeaFoam, and see the decarb posts on the FAQ forum page.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have used Seafoam many times and my end results have been no noticable improvement to some improvement. My usage has been on automotive engines only. I will be decarbing my Merc 1250 this spring and will probably use the Merc product, but have never heard of any bad things happening due to Seafoam.<br /><br />I once got drunk and was hung over really bad the next morning. I ate Cheez-it crackers and vomitted my brains out. This was a long time ago and I have not eaten Cheez-its since. It was not Cheez-its fault, it was because I was hung over and feeling queasy anyway. Moral of this story: Stuff happens as a coincedence and it is too easy to blame the closest product used before the event happened. It is not wise, as sometimes stuff just happens...

KCLOST

Commander

Guys, I'm just kind of kiddin about the stuff. I'm sure it was just a freak coincidence. Just can't help myself...<br />Don't let me cause a stir... :D :D <br /><br />BTW roscoe, take a look at my post on the repair forum, it has links to pics that show the surface of the heads... Let me know what you think...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

KCLOST, I got the feeling you were kidding from your earlier posts, and appreciate your sense of humor. But I didn't want muskytroller to get the wrong idea, and I didn't want to say anything nasty about you, like "he don't know ****.<br /><br />Jason-<br />Putting Seafoam in an auto engine crankcase is like the engine flush they offer at the quicklube oil shops. It will flush out the gunk in the oil passages. If you add it to your gastank, it will work like STP or similar fuel system cleaners. <br /><br />More noticable results are seen on 2 stroke engines because of the carbon buildup associated with these engines.

ZmOz

Captain

I've used Seafoam in my inline 6, and two Jeep's. Made a HUGE improvement in all of them. I've also used it in the lawnmower and chainsaw, made a marginal (but noticeable) improvement in both...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Roscoe, I usually just put the stuff in the gas tank and let it do its thing. I use it more as an injector cleaner than anything else. It isn't hurting anything that I know of.

bubbakat

Captain

I use it all the time in my personal vech. and all my farm equipment. <br />I was bragging about it to our chief deputy and he ordered a case and now all units are required to put a can in the tank every month, Keeps those injectors clean.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

roscoe....Does it actually work in the crankase of your car or will that harm anything? Is it the same as the stuff you put in the gas tank or is is specifically made for the oil and crankcase. Thanks.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by mmcpeck:<br />roscoe....Does it actually work in the crankase of your car or will that harm anything? Is it the same as the stuff you put in the gas tank or is is specifically made for the oil and crankcase. Thanks.
Same thing is good for crankcase, intake, and gas tank. :) Just follow the directions on the can...

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks ZmOz, I think I'll give that a try in my truck at the same time I'm decarbing my outboards this spring.

BillP

Captain

Snake oil...<br />When putting that stuff in your car gas be ready to plug up the catalytic converter. The additives may not do it but the chunks of unburnt crud that hit the converter can. Read up on converters and ask your local registered converter shop about it. They love to see people dump additives in the gas or spray it into the carb. Too much and it plugs everything up. It's your guess how much is ok.<br /><br />Also, there is no way thinning your crankcase oil with solvents is good for a motor under full time use. Do you want starved lubrication? It doesn't work both ways. You'll find this out when the motor reaches less miles than an engine that never used additives. My local auto mechanic's business is being warranty rep for Jasper and AutoZone engines. It's interesting to hear his stories about additives.