Sea Doo Cavitation

outsick81

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so here is my issue. I have a 2000 Seadoo GTI with the 720 motor. Recently it began to cavitate. Visual inspection of the wear ring looks ok, but I have not measured the clearance. I also noticed water in the engine compartment. Could this be related? I am thinking maybe somehow air is being pulled in instead of water. Where might I check for this? If I don't nail the throttle, the ski comes up on plane and cruises to top speed. But if I hit the throttle hard, it will just barely push through the water without getting on plane and will hit the rev limiter. Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sea Doo Cavitation

with a 720 water can come from several places,, the carbon seal on the drive shaft, the exhaust system , or a bad hose,, you first need to place the ski in the water and remove the cover over the p t o so you can see if the carbon seal is leaking with the ski sitting in the water,, then drive the ski with the seat removed and look to see if water is leaking from the exhaust system,, you will usually see it spraying from the leak.
Cavitation could be from the pump bearings being bad,, the liner being worn or something in the impeller,, pull the pump off and you should find the problem with some close inspection,, and change the gear lube in the pump while you are at it.
Also do a close inspection of all the motor mounts since the engine can move with a broken mount and damage the carbon seal