Sea Dek or the equivalent

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 18ft Jon boat, currently i have carpet down that i got from Lowes as to keep the heat off my girls' feet and legs when they are moving about the boat, i like the carpet but it's hard as heck to clean sometimes. My question is due to how i have the carpet in the boat (stainless steel snaps) can i do the same with the seadek or the equivalent from amazon? I'd like to know before I get any ordered. Thanks in advance!!!

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If i were to use the EVA foam from amazon could i use the snaps for it?

briangcc

Commander
SeaDek uses 3M adhesive tape on the back of its product to adhere to the deck. It's peel & stick. Same for the Amazon stuff.

I will say after following their installation instructions, the SeaDek swim pad is still stuck - installed in 2018 - and hasn't had any issues with corners peeling. This is on my current boat in my sig which has non-skid cast into the swim platform.

I can't speak to the amazon product although a few here have used it.

**I have snap in carpet in the cockpit. To clean it, I remove it, stretch it out on the driveway and clean it there. Let it bake in the sun to dry then reinstall. For tough stains, we've used TuffStuff upholstery cleaner - available at WallyWorld.

zool

Captain
I've got the Amazon eva on my baitwell lids and gunnel step pads over diamond non skid, Holding up well going on second season. I did use 3m spray adhesive to assist the peal and stick.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If i were to use the EVA foam from amazon could i use the snaps for it?
Not unless you glue it to a layer of fiberglass and mount the snaps to that

EVA foam (same stuff that makes crocks and flip flops) has nowhere near the strength of carpet

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
right on, thanks!! i kinda of figured that would be the case, i love the fact i can pull my carpet out and was it off, dont do it often unless the kids get sand on it from the beach. the platform if it has sand and its dry it doesnt feel good hitting you in the face going 35 mph!

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Careful squirrels like it for making nests. . ask me how I know :)
oh wow! haven't ever seen many squrrels on our dock where the boat sits all spring/summer. Good thing it will be tarped! I will more then likely stick with carpet since i can use snaps to take it out easy enough. Although i like it enough to maybe just glue it down lol! anyone have any suggestions on good outdoor carpet? I currently use the stuff from lowes

todhunter

Canoeist
I have been happy with the carpet I purchased from Sparta Carpets. I went with the 20 oz cut pile

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not unless you glue it to a layer of fiberglass and mount the snaps to that

EVA foam (same stuff that makes crocks and flip flops) has nowhere near the strength of carpet
Scott, by chance have you tried this? I'm thinking about purchasing SeaDek or some brand of EVA foam and creating snap in panels out of the EVA foam to replicate my current snap in carpet. I was trying to think what would make a good backer and am interested in the fiberglass cloth option, or another option that would accommodate snaps. Thx