screwed by ebay

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am (or was )a seller on ebay . I have only 1 negitive and a rating 442 (99.8%positive) . I had several items listed on a few weeks back when my computers harddrive fried. So I call up a friend to use his computer while mine is in the shop to send invoices.<br />This friend had bid on a couple of my items (boat stuff) as well as a friend of his using the same computer under a different account.heres where it goes down hill.....<br /> I get a email from a nonpaying bidder saying ive been running up my auctions and hes gonna contact my customers, so I contact ebay and conplain. They suspened me indifenitly for shill bidding along with my friends so I send appeal and havent heard anything for 2 weeks.They says I should get a responds in 2-4 days -live help say just wait!<br /> <br /> My question is has anybody eles had this problem? any advice?

ndemge

Commander
Re: screwed by ebay

From what you have written, it sounds like they WERE shill bidding for you, is this the case?

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

No ,<br />heres the thing .The friend of mine was interested in a boat of mine and had made a offer . Because I had already listed it I told him he would had to take his chances on ebay because I thought I could get more for the boat online(I did) . The other person (friend of friend) had bid on a old outboard that needed work - he only bid 10 bucks and it sold for $127.<br />The other problem is he had bid on a auction of my friend a while back so I does appear to be shill bidding but I assure you I dont allow or do that. These guys wanted to buy my items.

ndemge

Commander

So one winning bid from the past, with a new bid now, I can see where this shill bid thought would come to play. VERY seldom do people have repeat business that is not at the same time, but it does happen.<br /><br />Were you using this friend's email or ebay account to contact your customers, or using your own account? If you used someone elses account, I would see it as very fishy and as if someone is trying to faud me.<br /><br />Assuming everything is on the up, good luck with the ebay folks. They do have a phone # to talk to a real person.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ive been told there is no phone number for ebayfor customer service. <br />I used the friends computer and logged in my email and email accounts to get my invoices out while my computer was down. <br />The 1 friend had bid on a item or 2 a long time ago .<br />I was told they know if your using a different ip address or a computer logging in several id,s .This is I guess where the problem starts.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seller Email and bids coming from the same IP is gonna be very hard evidence to disprove, Reddog.<br /><br />If you were eBay, what would you think? I think that it would be very negligent of them not to bust you.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bust me? I didnt break any rules.<br />What I am mad about is they dont have a phone number to let me state my case and they wont reply to appeals in the time they original state (36 to 48 hrs.). <br />As for using my friends computer - I had no choice, but to send my invoices through another computer or face angry buyers a week later.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

IP addresses are tracked, or able to be tracked, by most sites. I suspect the iboats administrators can tell what IP I'm using as I write this. With that in mind, one would have several options; <br />- ask the repair shop for a loaner<br />- buy a beater from pawn shop etc. and use one of those AOL freebie cd's for access<br />- use the computer at the library(most have them)<br />- the local hospital here has computer(s) for general use<br />- spoof the IP address (I'm not going there)<br /><br />However, this is all after-the-fact. The way to prevent the problem is easy but I can see how the mistake could be made. If it hadn't happened to you, it might have happened to me.<br /><br />Good luck with the resolution.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did use the computer at the repair shop twice to answer questions from bidders but its a long drive so when the items ended I just used my friends computer to send invoices.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Just a question. Was it the bidders on your auction that raised the attention of the one that complained? I ask that because ebay bidders don't have access to the IP addresses of other bidders.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

I assume because I complained a nonpaying bidder sayed he was going to contact my customers and I fwd the email to ebay they looked into it.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Your screwed! The complaint you sent is just a formality. I had a complaint about a nonpaying bidder that had 10 Negatives and private (Hidden) feedback, He sent a retaliatory neg. feedback to me ruining an otherwise perfect record. Ebay basically said Tough luck. Not saying you guys were shill bidding but it sure looks like a blatant case of it. From my experience I doubt they will buy any kind of explanation you will give.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

The thing that kills me is I just relisted a item that sold for $100(nonpaying bidder) and the relisted winning bid won it for $26. If I was shill bidding I would have run that up not lose $74.If I lose my account because of 1 nonpaying user with a feedback of 7 im gonna be mad.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

reddog, they can and at certain times do track ips to check up on shilling.<br />You did business from a computer under your name that had under a different name, bid on your items.<br />In ebay's eyes, this is shilling, sorry.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

TXSWINNER ,SBN - i DIDNOT BID ON MY ITEMS and I never broke (nor bent) a single ebay rule therefore I desevere them to at least answer my appeal in the time they stated.<br /> Chris- maybe you dont understand thats against the rules- I worked hard to build that account and its good feedback - besides i fell like ive been screwed on the deal for doing nothing wrong.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I would have contacted Ebay about my situation up front & they probably would have suspended your items from auction until your computer woes were resolved...Regerdless if it was inentional or not you look like you broke the rules.....If I were reviewing your appeal/complaint, I would say "Guilty as charged", because that's the way it looks. And if my buddy needed a part I'm sure I would have sold it to him at a fair price, not to the highest bidder....But that's me....JK

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didnt understand the deal with ip addresses at the time and I didnt know the other guy had even bid on my items or his user name (he just got it).As far as my buddy he had offer cash but never paid so I listed it then he offered again and I told him to bid.Besided the computers woes began when some items had just ended.

ndemge

Commander

Local phone # for Ebay Administrative Contact:<br />Phone: 408 376 7400