Scraped thru Gel Coat

dk6164

Seaman
I had the misfortune of having my boat come off my trailer while pulling it out of the water (winch strap broke, forgot to hook up chain) and it scraped about a quarter sized mark on the keel. It took off about 1/4" of the glass. It's not thru or anything like that but I was wondering if anybody has a suggestion on how to seal the exposed glass. I'm guessing that if I leave it alone it will soak up water over time! LEARNED MY LESSON!!<br />Thanks.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Scraped thru Gel Coat

You can get a small fiberglass repair kit at any wal mart,follow the instructions to build it up some of the way to match the fiberglass level.From there you can get a gel coat repair kit at most boating stores,do as the instructions say for it.Its not that hard of a repair,just some sanding inbetween coats and it will be just as good as new.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Scraped thru Gel Coat

Sure,no problem.If you need more info,just ask.One other thing,pick up a qt. can of acetone at wal mart too!Use that to clean up the area after sanding each time and if you get any resin on you,you can use it to clean it off.Use some rubber gloves when using it.It is not the best to get it on you.Safteyglasses too!<br />The trick to help you out on the gelcoat is after you put it on,cover it with some clear plastic,type that is used to make those clear folders,ones that kids use for school.What that does is it spreads it out and gets air out from under the gelcoat and fiberglass,saves alot of time sanding too!Just cut it to size.Those small gelcoat kits has wax added to them already,so air is not a problem for the cure.<br />Another thing that will help is,after you do your first sanding before any fiberglassing,tape off the area,box it off,add some plastic to the tape and outward.Put down a drop cloth under your work area too!