Scope of Disaster

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Scope of Disaster

Right on Coldfire........its there job to protect the people of their state and city so What have they done pre and post disaster except cry about the Gov not doing enough............

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Ralph:<br /> Landrieu flew over it on the 30th and the President on the 31st, is that really the depth of your criticism? How shallow and petty in the midst of so much suffering...
Diversionary tactics ("what about the governor and mayor") and personal insult ("shallow and petty") rather than substance.<br /><br />You said "Too many people have no idea what real leadership is." <br /><br />Then you accused the President of taking the easy way out "...rather than defend the people putting their lives on the line...."<br /><br />You said that's what you would do, too.<br /><br />So tell me, Ralph, do you know what real leadership is?

Ralph 123

Captain

Sometimes leadership is about picking your battles - he's clarified his statement since to limit it ot the lawlessness.<br /><br />Do I know what leadership is? Yes, I think I do. I have studied leaders and leadership my whole life and have practiced it even in public sector settings and I know first hand what it's like to have to have do-nothings and the press try to take pot shots at you without an ounce of understanding or ever having tried to accomplish anything real in their whole lives. Luckily I've always been prepared for it and have been able to show them up.<br /><br />So, I have a favorite quote:<br /><br />
It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."<br /><br />Theodore Roosevelt<br />"Citizenship in a Republic,"<br />Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910<br />

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

By the way, on the 30th, Landrieu visited the area, including a helicopter tour. A day later Bush flew by at 2000 feet and 300mph in a 747 on his way to Washington...but I don't want to confuse you with a comparison between Senator Landrieu and President Bush...the point is, the scope of the disaster was damn well known way before he ever left for Washington, and you know it.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Ralph:<br /> Sometimes leadership is about picking your battles -
<br /><br />when is it about throwing your rank & file under a bus because you don't have the guts to stand up for 'em.

Ralph 123

Captain

You are so right jt - what was I thinking? The President clearly does not care and the Feds are not doing everything the can. After all they are nasty Republicans who couldn't possibly care. It's all Bush's fault and he's totally and solely responsible. There now, feel better?<br /><br />"...at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat "

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Forget it Ralph, you are wasting your breath.<br />It's just another Bush is bad and it's all his fault thread. :rolleyes:

LadyFish

Admiral

The real scope of this disaster even as bad as it seems right now hasn't even come to light yet.<br /><br />I just heard on Fox that there are upwards of ten thousand dead bodies in those submerged homes. People's families, relatives. Isn't that what we should be concentrating on right now.<br /><br />Please, don't use this disaster as a catalyst to spew politcal BS and hatred for the current administration.<br /><br />Its out of place and extremely disrespectful at this time.<br /><br />Its way too soon to start pointing fingers at anyone.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> The real scope of this disaster even as bad as it seems right now hasn't even come to light yet.<br /><br />I just heard on Fox that there are thousands of dead bodies in those submerged homes. People's families, relatives. Isn't that what we should be concentrating on right now.<br /><br />Please, don't use this disaster as a catalyst to spew politcally BS and hatred for the current administration.<br /><br />Its out of place and extremely disrespectful at this time.<br /><br />Its way too soon to start pointing fingers at anyone.
Well said LF :) <br /><br />My view is if one is into the finger pointing and blame game, why not do so to the bringer of the bad omen :rolleyes:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The prez has a lot more to do than just deal with this disaster. While an appearance is nice, it is strictly symbolic, an expectation from us that really accomplishes little except to let those involved in the disaster know that the leadership cares. In all honesty, the Prez should be in Washington where he can guide the entire country, and ease the minds of the entire country. He has to not only deal with the disaster, but he still has a war to deal with, and he has the entire country stressing out over fears of what this disaster will do to the economy to deal with as well. Like he always says, "Its hard work", and it is. Lord knows I am not the quickest to defend the Prez, but in this particular circumstance I don't think there is much else he can do beyond what he is doing. <br /><br />I have this sneaking suspicion that the victims of this event would rather see Chinook helicopters filled with chow and water than Air Force One.

D

DJ

I don't think there is much else he can do beyond what he is doing. <br />
He can quiver his upper lip and shed a tear. That'll satisfy them. It did before. ;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Ralph:<br /> You are so right jt - what was I thinking? The President clearly does not care and the Feds are not doing everything the can. After all they are nasty Republicans who couldn't possibly care. It's all Bush's fault and he's totally and solely responsible. There now, feel better?<br /><br />"...at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat "
Actually Ralph, it was you that said it, not me. I didn't believe you, which is why I questioned you on it.<br /><br />remember typing this?
Originally posted by Ralph:<br />Of coarse he called it unacceptable, so would I. It's easier to not fight the media and play the role of dissatisfied outsider rather than defend the people putting their lives on the line to help.
Your words, not mine.<br /><br />Why the personal attacks on me? I have an opinion about the behavior of a public official, the leader of my country...a country in which every citizen has the right to express an opinion. <br /><br />I expressed my opinion about his behavior without questioning his motives or his politics. Read what I have written...I wouldn't say he doesn't care because I know that he does care.<br /><br />Furthermore, I have never expressed anything but support for the rank & file rescue workers. Yet you continue to say that I did. Why?<br /><br />He apologized for the poor response. I accept that. Unlike you, I take him at his word. I think it was a sincere apology. Do you honestly think he was just taking the easy way out?<br /><br />And why would you say <br />
Originally posted by Ralph:<br />It's all Bush's fault and he's totally and solely responsible.
I recognize it as sarcasm directed at me, and I know that sarcasm is aggression, but I don't know what I wrote that prompted it...you fabricated that out of whole cloth for reasons known only to you.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

by the way, doctors at Charity hospital (less than half a mile from the National Guard HQ) have had no food for four days...they are taking IV fluids in order to stay alive.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

One more thing, Ralphy...you challenged me about actually doing something (as though I am somehow "less American" than you). <br /><br />I spent a couple hours on the ramp Tuesday in 100* heat helping to load 8400 lbs of food & water onto a Boeing 757 for a relief flight into New Orleans. Today we've been preparing for the arrival of evacuees at my church.<br /><br />Tell me, hotshot, what are you doing? I mean, besides hurling insults my way?<br /><br />Be careful, don't break your arm reaching for the checkbook, or patting yourself on the back.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Wow the venom and sarcasm in these posts are a bit over the edge..........jt and Ralph you may not see eye to eye but in the last couple years I have been on this site you both have come accross to me as good guys.............Terrable things bring out bad reactions with everybody......lets just bring it down a notch..........

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> It's just another Bush is bad and it's all his fault thread. :rolleyes:
I just don't get this...only thing that's Bush's fault is that Bush decided to wait four days before visiting the site of the worst disaster of his lifetime. Whose fault is it that Bush decided to do that, SBN? Who's deciding what Bush will do? Are you saying that Bush's decisions are made by somebody else? <br /><br />I said I don't like it that he did that. That makes me a Bush-hater?<br /><br />What's with the personal attacks? <br /><br />If you think Bush did an outstanding job, why can't you just say so? <br /><br />If you agree he was dragging his feet, why can't you say that? Are you afraid he won't love you anymore if you don't approve of his every action? <br /><br />America didn't become what she is today by being afraid to call attention to the shortcomings of her elected officials.