Scope of Disaster

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Folks, just to help us gain some perspective, this is a much bigger disaster than 9/11 in terms of devastation and numbers of families affected, and loss of life will quite possibly surpass that of 9/11. It covers many million square miles along the coast from Louisiana to Alabama, many cities and towns were destroyed and tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of families are now homeless and jobless, and soon to be if not already penniless.<br /><br />It's not just the people who remained in New Orleans.<br /><br />Imagine packing up your family & going to a hotel a couple hundred miles away for a few days to wait out the hurricane.<br /><br />Then learning that you can't go home for months, maybe never. <br /><br />How long can you stay in the hotel until your credit cards are maxed out? How long til your savings is gone? <br /><br />Maybe you have relatives somewhere who'll take you in...if you can scrounge up enough gas money to get you there. You, the wife, the kids probably got some prescriptions need refilling. A pair of clean underwear would be nice.<br /><br />This picture taken August 30 appeared on page 2 of the Dallas Morning News on August 31:<br />
bush30aug.jpg
<br /><br />He apparently was in San Diego at a prescheduled trip to a military base. He was showing every one he’s "one of the guys," but he was a prisoner of the moment – instead of being in the Gulf Coast area and in our homes on TV being a leader in a time of great crisis. <br /><br />Of course we’re now hearing excuses about "these things take time." But last Friday morning, 7 DAYS AGO, we heard on the news that Hurricane Katrina had crossed Florida and was gaining strength in the Gulf. It was predicted at that time that it would hit New Orleans this Monday and that this would be a likely major disaster because of the fact that New Orleans is several feet below sea level and almost completely surrounded by water. <br /><br />Senator Mary Landrieu on August 30:<br />
senmarylandrieu.jpg
<br />Today we learn that George W. cut his 30-day "working vacation" 2 days short and flew over the disaster dropping to within 1700 feet and said something like "what a mess!" <br /><br />Later he gave a speech filled with platitudes, reassuring 100’s of thousands of victims – basically "we feel your pain" and "we’ll all end up stronger."<br /><br />Question: how long would it have taken the President to react if New Orleans had been hit by terrorists? (hint--answer in milliseconds)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Scope of Disaster

More bickering when there are so many that needs help.<br />This is really getting old on here. :rolleyes:

Ralph 123

Captain

Maybe you missed the fact that people were dancing on Bourbon street Monday after the storm talking about how they dodged the big one... These folks were told to evacuate and ignored the order.<br /><br />Maybe you've missed the fact that thousands and thousands have been rescued by the largest search and rescue operation I've ever seen.<br /><br />Maybe you don't understand that the primary responsibility lies with State and Local governments backed up by the Feds (remember the criticism Jeb got a few hears ago?) No one dare criticize a black mayor or a woman Governor (esp Democrats)<br /><br />Maybe you missed the fact that the people putting their lives on the line are being shot at by the people they are trying to help?<br /><br />Maybe you missed the fact that these people in such dire straights had no problem looting the place.<br /><br />The Feds did react instantly, maybe not fast enough for some who expect a magic wand to be waived and everything made better.<br /><br />Your inference that the President and the Feds could have done something and didn't is a slap in the face to all those putting their own lives on the line to save lives.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Ralph, I hear what you're saying; I didn't miss any of those facts, but I get your point - all of what you say is true.<br /><br />If your last statement is true then I need to apologize and find a better way to express my meaning, but I think that the President's absence is a slap in the face to all those putting their own lives on the line to save lives.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Ralph:<br /> Your inference that the President and the Feds could have done something and didn't
Didn't mean to imply anything...I meant to explicitly state that what the President could have done and didn't is to stop playing around, go onsite, make his presence known, act like a leader.

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ralph,<br /><br />Perhaps you are mistaken. I am listening to a radio station in New Orleans and one newscaster said that "we do not need the Guard here in New Orleans - they are drinking too much of the water". <br /><br />A TV anchor here in Mobile said that he wanted to correct the report that choppers were being shot at. He claims that was just an ugly rumor. At couple of minutes later the same man was griping that President Bush took a moment to be photographed with a local councilman. He said he should get his butt on the plane and get going. (We are talking about 30 seconds!) <br /><br />Of course we all know that if it was said on TV or radio then it must be true.<br /><br />Gold Bear

Ralph 123

Captain

The presence of the President detracts from the effort, as people have to stop what their doing not to mention the security required. Being there doesn't help. It hurts. All he needs to do is tell people to do their jobs, make sure he clears any roadblocks and stay out of their way. Unless of coarse you think Presidents are endowed with superhuman attributes and can somehow rescue more people quicker that all the people and agencies involved in the effort? Or maybe you think the rescuers are slacking and need the President around in order to be encouraged to do their jobs?<br /><br />Let me ask you, being right next door in Texas what are you doing to help?<br /><br />Too many people have no idea what real leadership is.

LadyFish

Admiral

Let me take a stab at that question Ralph. Texans are taking in over 100,000 refuges statewide and I'm sure that number will grow. <br /><br />Even here on the island our schools and churchs are housing over 1,000 families.<br /><br />Our animal shelters are taking in animals and asking us to foster them until people can get back on their feet.<br /><br />Our community has a 38% indigent level as it is and we still are giving everything we can.<br /><br />People are fostering families for as long as it takes.<br /><br />Us Texans are doing everything we can to ease the pain and suffering of our neighbors.

Ralph 123

Captain

Not asking about Texas LF, it was a personal question. My point is, unless you're in the game you should refrain from criticizing those trying to help. For the record, the Texas response has been outstanding!

LadyFish

Admiral

Thank you for clarifying that Ralph, I was fixin to come undone. ;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Ralph, I'm assuming that your statements genuinely reflect your opinions, and aren't just a "protect the President from all forms of critisism" reaction.<br /><br />I respectfully disagree that the President's role in the four days following the worst disaster in our lifetime is hands-off, stay on vacation then go play around in California.<br /><br />He leads the nation, not just the executive branch of the government. Behind the scenes making decisions is good, but appearance matters. This morning he apologized, calling the fed government's response "unacceptable." How's that for a slap in the face of workers who've been working while their boss is messing around?<br /><br />I don't think rescue workers are slacking, yet I think they would welcome encouragement from the President.<br /><br />BTW, our community is expecting another 25,000 evacuees from the Superdome, I'll be helping out.

Ralph 123

Captain

What are you talking about? He flew over the area and went to Washington to meet with his cabinet as soon as the scope of the disaster became clear.<br /><br />Of coarse he called it unacceptable, so would I. It's easier to not fight the media and play the role of dissatisfied outsider rather than defend the people putting their lives on the line to help.<br /><br />I think the rescuers would appreciate the press acknowledging their efforts and not criticizing them more than an atta-boy from the President.<br /><br />Where is your criticism for the Governor and Mayor? After all, they have the primary responsibility. Why lay it at the President's feet but for political bias?

LubeDude

Admiral

Why dont you just come out like others, and actually blame Bush for the storm.<br /><br />Im sure Clinton would have pulled himself away from Monica to run to New Orleans. :rolleyes:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

originally posted by Ralph:<br />Too many people have no idea what real leadership is.
originally posted by Ralph:<br />Of coarse he called it unacceptable, so would I. It's easier to not fight the media and play the role of dissatisfied outsider rather than defend the people putting their lives on the line to help.
You think he doesn't really find it unacceptable?<br /><br />Is that really your idea of "real leadership?" Lying to the public instead of defending your rank & file, because it's easy?<br /><br />
originally posted by Ralph:<br />...went to Washington...as soon as the scope of the disaster became clear.
see above photo of Senator Landrieu surveying the damage, taken while Bush was as far as you can get from Washington and still be in the lower 48, playing the guitar.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Ralph:<br /> <br />I think the rescuers would appreciate the press acknowledging their efforts and not criticizing them more than an atta-boy from the President.
Good idea, but doesn't excuse the President.<br /><br />
Originally posted by Ralph:<br /><br />Where is your criticism for the Governor and Mayor? After all, they have the primary responsibility. Why lay it at the President's feet but for political bias?
Doesn't excuse the President.<br /><br />The governor of Louisiana and Mississippi and Georgia and Alabama? They were there. <br /><br />The mayor of New Orleans and Metaire and Chalmette and Bay St. Louis and Biloxi and Slidell and Gulf Port and Ocean Springs and Pascagoula and countless other cities and towns? Some are dead, some are missing, the rest are there.<br /><br />I don't know how effective they were, but I doubt the mayors had any resources at all.

ehenry

Commander

only one i see in this thread thats been affected by this storm is Gold Bear...I think he's cutting up a tree this weekend.<br /><br />Instead of b i t c h i n about leadership, the president or whatever is on your mind and got the burr under your saddle.....step up to the plate and do something. Let some folks come stay in your home, have a cool bed to sleep, hot water to take a bath in. Thats what I'm doing. got two families staying with me.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

This actually has to be the most patheic post I have ever seen.<br /><br />The man could turn lead into gold and you would find something wrong with it.<br /><br />I dont even know why I bothered to reply.<br /><br />Ken

ColdFire

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've got to wonder why we all we have heard from the governor of LA and the mayor of NO is griping about the response from the fedral goverment when it was and is their job to take care of the people and to orginize any help and recovory as it became needed. We all know that NO was hit. But MS and AL also are severly in need of help, but we don't hear about their problems because I believe they seem to have some leadership in place and are handling the problems.<br /><br />I am just frustrated that all I see in LA is a lack of leadership from anyone local. MS and AL seem to have leadership in place and are doing their job and not making for good meda foder.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> This actually has to be the most patheic post I have ever seen.<br /><br />The man could turn lead into gold and you would find something wrong with it.<br /><br />I dont even know why I bothered to reply.<br /><br />Ken
C'mon Ken, we both know there have been way, way more pathetic posts than this one.<br /><br />What I'm thinking is, if the man turned gold into lead, you would criticize me for pointing out that he made it less valuable not more.

Ralph 123

Captain

Landrieu flew over it on the 30th and the President on the 31st, is that really the depth of your criticism? How shallow and petty in the midst of so much suffering...