Scooters anyone ?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok , went camping over the weekend and me my son and sil rented scooters to ride around town and the state park .
I have been wanting to rent one for a while just to see if I liked it before I get one for the camper ..
I rented a 50cc one .. It was a blast ! I think though if I get one I want a 125/150 cc instead .. My wife does not feel comfortable driving one so I figure she could ride on the back ..
Any of you all have or have owned a scooter ? I think I want a new one with warranty . I dont want to fork out the bucks for a Vespa so been looking at the better Chinese brands .. The Lance Cali Classic 125 is one I have liked so far .. I like the retro look .. Dont care much for the ones that look like Transformers . LOL..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
so been looking at the better Chinese brands .. .

they dont exist. no such thing as a "better Chinese brand" if you buy one, you better buy another for parts.

seriously, there are hundreds of 2-3 year old ones on the market down here in Bradenton and St Pete that need something to allow them to run and there are no parts available.

you would be better off with a 20 year old Japanese brand. heck, i myself own 4. 3 honda expresses and a Motron Medalist. the newest I have is the Motron which is now 40 years old (1981). The bright orange 1978 Honda Express is the one the wife loves. I am currently looking for a pair of Honda Metropolitans so I can refresh the fleet

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have thought about one for a while. But knowing nothing about them in general or part availability, I haven't moved towards one... I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I didn’t see the Honda Metro having one over 50 cc .. Idk
From what I have read the Lance brand is made by SYM which from searching the web seems supported well ..
I guess like anything you get what you pay for .. I’d like to stay under 2500 bucks if possible ..Just not ready to throw 5 grand down on a scooter ..

Scott Danforth

Staff member
on my old scooters/mopeds, I use both the honda dealers and Treatland for parts http://treatland.tv/

I try to keep my scooter purchases under $500.

the Honda Metro is a 49CC, however its list price is only $2500. if you pick up a 10 year old one, your in the $500 range if you look around. usually its one that was bought for someone in college or HS, and the kid went on to a job.

they will go for over 10,000 miles without a problem with regular oil changes, and with the variable speed trans they will do a good 40mph with my fat butt on them, where my fixed gear scooters are 25mph stock and about 32mph max with an over-bore kit.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
My bud bought a 2005 Metro for $450 last year. it was at a garage sale and didnt run. the fuel had long turned to terpentine.

took about $100 in parts and incidentals to get running. His fleet is a 1980 Honda express, a 1978 Honda Hobbit, a 1996 Honda spree, a 1999 Suzuki and now the 2005 Honda metropolitan

Here is a pic of his 1980 and my 1979 (other side of the '47)

IMG-20110704-00195.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
1978 Honda Hobbit,
I have a hobbit. Needs a bit of tlc, one of these days I'm going to fix her up and hang it on the back of my 1977 dodge motterette motor home so I have something to buzz around with when camping.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I got a buddy done in the keys that soups those little ones up. His nice one will do 90 quick. I think its like 49cc. Or at least thats what it started out as.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
1978 Honda Hobbit,
I have a hobbit. Needs a bit of tlc, one of these days I'm going to fix her up and hang it on the back of my 1977 dodge motterette motor home so I have something to buzz around with when camping.

remember its 2-stroke mix....... apparently I'm going to be putting a a new set of crank bearings and a new jug/piston on the hobbit the next time im in Door County Wisco....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I got a buddy done in the keys that soups those little ones up. His nice one will do 90 quick. I think its like 49cc. Or at least thats what it started out as.

I have a buddy that for years worked at a harley dealership. his boss's daughter had a 49cc puch that he was asked to upgrade back about 1990 with a 74cc big jug kit and a tuned pipe, 30mm carb, etc and would go when Robert was done with it...... the cop clocked him at 57 in a 25..... on a pink puch

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I know he does a lot of port timing, eyebrowing, and such. He's also a master with those types of clutches. Absolutely meticulous in his note keeping and time trials as he adjusts weights and ramps and such. Those clutches are nothing new to us snowmobile types. Keep it in the curve all the time.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been looking at mostly used Vespa’s
Seems like a lot of those are down SF
Im not looking to go super fast but would like to be able to keep up with traffic on back roads . Not planning on scooting any freeways . I also want something ready to ride . If I gotta turn a wrench then forget it . LOL !
Im gunna have to do the motorcycle classes and get a license. 150 cc or bigger ..
Still looking !

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
remember its 2-stroke mix....... apparently I'm going to be putting a a new set of crank bearings and a new jug/piston on the hobbit the next time im in Door County Wisco....

Yes sir! I know that. It will need crank bearings already, even though I haven't run it. Might need more parts. It makes a rough sound when turning it by hand. But the compression is good.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Yes sir! I know that. It will need crank bearings already, even though I haven't run it. Might need more parts. It makes a rough sound when turning it by hand. But the compression is good.

Here is my go-to place besides on-line honda shops for old hobbit/express parts. https://www.treatland.tv

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It seems the newer Vespas have been having a rust problem on the bottom . That may steer my search somewhat ..
I have my etec in the shop getting serviced so once I get that back then I will speed up the search for a scoot ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Well I’m a Vespa 150 owner now .
2013 with less than 300 miles on it .
Super fun to drive ! Came with E2553A7C-A37C-426B-8D24-002C0A672F94.jpegE2553A7C-A37C-426B-8D24-002C0A672F94.jpeg the bike carrier . Windshield , back compartment, and 2 nice almost new Helmets ..

Attachments

• D1D7BB24-0132-4B24-939C-38F01BE798C6.jpeg
    D1D7BB24-0132-4B24-939C-38F01BE798C6.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 2

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No rust other than a little chrome pitting I think I can polish out .