Science Fair

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My daughter is working on her science fair project. She wanted to compare the salinity levels of ocean water from different locations. My wife and I were on a cruise in December so we were able to get some ocean water from Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. My nephew brought some from Oregon. We have actually found each location to be a little different. We would like to test some water from other locations. I thought of iboats. I wonder if anyone would be willing to collect an ocean water sample and ship it to me? We have been just getting 12 - 16 oz water bottles and filling them. <br />The tough part is we have to finish the tests in less than 2 weeks. I would prefer to not post my address for all the world. But I could post a hotmail email address I use sometimes to avoid Spam. If you wrote to that address I could send you my address. I would be happy to reimburse shipping of course. <br />I know that is a pretty big favor... if there are no takers I totally understand. <br />If you are willing to help us, let me know and I'll post the hotmail address.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Science Fair

How about the Great Salt Lake in Utah,and the Salton Sea in California? Would make for interesting comparisons. ;)

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes it would be. Her actual project is to see if there are significant differences in salinity in the oceans. But it might be a good comparison to show. The project won't be as good if she can't come up with a couple more samples.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Sailor, I can't help with the samples but I can tell you that because of the climate(faster evaporation) around the Mediterranean Sea that it has a higher level of salinity compared to the Atlantic. The Atlantic is just about the only outlet/inlet to the Med sea so this also makes a diff. If any help at all, I believe you will find different levels of salinity based on location as it relates to yearly climate and the waters ability to flow freely.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />CJY

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks CJY. That is good information. Makes sense to me. The tests she has done so far support exactly what you said too. The lowest level of salinity so far is the water off the coast of Oregon. The higest was Cozumel. Interestingly, the salinity slightly dropped moving south from Cozumel to Belieze and Roatan. That was not too significant but a fairly significant drop on the Oregon sample.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Man, I wish you would have posted this earlier, I just got back from the bay area, I could have got you some samples from the suisen(sp) bay, as well as sanfrancisco bay and the estuary between oakland and alameda. Good luck on the project, it sounds interesting!

heycods

Captain

As you probably know any kind of water is at a premium here in central tx. but I dont have any ocean water near me or I would send it gladly. If I was 100 miles or so further west I would send water from lake Spence , its pertty salty they say. How about salt water pumped from the earth as in an oil well? heycods1@yahoo.com

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I wish I had too. I have actually let my little girl down a little bit on this. I told her I would do this and I did not remember to do it. So now I'm trying to pull it out at the last minute. But being the sweet girl she is, she is looking at it all with a positive attitude.<br />Those would have been good samples wouldn't they?<br />It would have been interesting to compare them to the Oregon coast.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heycods:<br />I will write to your email address. I will just write from my wife's email account here at home.<br />Maybe the comparison of the water from a well would be a good addition to the project. We might even tweak the whole premise a little. <br />Interesting you mention Lake Spence, we did a little boating/skiing on Spence about 3 years ago and we actually remember commenting that it was pretty salty tasting. One of my good friends grew up in Robert Lee so we went down there with him.

Link

Rear Admiral

linkjackman1 AT hotmail.com<br />If you want some from the Puget Sound area.<br />Have empty bottle that could be mailed as early as tomorrow Jan 19th

BOBPELL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess if someone wanted to cheat on this a bit they could divide regular ocean water into several containers. Pick up a small bottle of sea salt from the health food store and add various small amounts to the bottles.<br /><br />Naaaaa... that just wouldn't be right!!!! Forget I said it.

SoulWinner

Commander

My address is toy4runr at mchsi dot com. Send me yor address and some water from the Gulf of Mexico is on it's way UPS overnight.

heycods

Captain

I e-mailed him last night and told him to check back in.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by heycods:<br /> I e-mailed him last night and told him to check back in.
Good deal.. if we can help GREAT! :)

aspeck

Staff member

Not much salt water here in Central PA. If we had more time I would have them send us some water from the Bay of Benin, Ghana - but it will take about a week and a half or more to get it there. If that would help, let me know and I will see what I can do.

heycods

Captain

I guess hes a busy man. heve to be in lubbock tx. fighting to keep the sand out of his eyes. :D

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, here I am.<br />I was in Dallas all day. My wife called me while I was in a meeting to tell me heycods had emailed me and that we received his bottle of water. Thank you SO much heycods.<br />And to make it easy, I am just going to put my home address here on iboats. <br />Jerry Shelton<br />4914 61st Street<br />Lubbock TX 79414<br />Link, Toyota (Soul Winner), aspeck and all who are willing to help I am grateful.<br />BTW - I have been absent from iboats for a month or two - SW, I'm sure you have addressed this - but why the screen name change?<br />When you send the water, let me know where it is from. (City, and if it is from the shore or offshore for example)<br />Thanks again to all of you!<br /><br />Sailor

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My wife just had a good idea. We will post the results of the test when we are finished.