school me on early johnson/evinrude v6 loopers

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
can someone summarize the history pros/cons of the early v6 looper models? i have figured out the xp is a crossflow, and that after about 1992 the looper v6 changes into the intruder/first strike model with a different cowl. but what about the 86-90 looper v6s? they seem to sell at a discount. are they good motors? pros and cons? are they a different powerhead from the 92+?

background is i am looking to repower with a 150-200 long leg and looking at bass boat donors where i can just swap the motors (and resell an underpowered bass boat). i have a 1985 johnson 120 looper on my boat right now that runs great with good compression but is just not getting the job done towing now that my kids (and their friends) are in their teens.

bimar21

Cadet
Re: school me on early johnson/evinrude v6 loopers

Have a 1990 200 (E200TXESM) and the only issues I have had, several times already, are regulator/rectifier failures. Have replaced the timer base (once), power pack (once), lower unit seals and tilt trim seals just once as well, but for a 20+ year old engine! No starter, VRO, or carb issues so far. And I replace the head gaskets every couple of years as a routine maintenance just to clean them up from saltwater deposits.