Scam or not? (OBJ?)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Anyone heard of the guy from Indonesia that has a bait and tackle shop that is in need of quality fishing supplies and wants to buy them with a credit card and have them sent via a priority courier to him?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Re: Scam or not? (OBJ?)

This is the jest of the email.<br /><br />Dear Sir,<br /><br />My Name Markus from Country Indonesia, And now I have<br />a store sell Fishing Reel Equipment,Navigation and<br />Accesories, but in my country Indonesia, it's very<br />difficult to get a high quality Fishing Reel<br />Equipment, Navigation and the price more expensive in<br />my country, and I looking in your site that you can<br />suppply a Fishing Reel Equipment, Navigation and<br />Accesories, So I'm interest to order from you.<br /> <br />I'm looking for Fishing Reel Equipment, Navigation and<br />Accesories Such as below:<br /> <br />- Daiwa Fishing Reel :<br /> .Daiwa Saltiga Z-6500EXP<br /> .Daiwa Saltiga Z-5000<br /> .Daiwa Saltiga Z-6000<br /> .Daiwa Saltiga Z-6000GT<br /><br />- Shimano Fishing Reel :<br /> .Shimano Stella 10000FA<br /> .Shimano Stella 20000FA<br /> .Shimano Stella SW 8000PG<br /> .Shimano Stella SW 10000HG <br /> .Shimano Stella SW 20000PG<br /><br />- Penn Internasional Fishing Reel :<br /> .Penn International 30VSW.<br /> .Penn International 50VSW.<br /><br />- Fishing Rod :<br /> .Smith WRC-TOKARA60 Spinning rods<br /> .Smith GTK-77BG KEYOLHU Spinning rods<br /> .Fisherman GIANT SERIES GIANT 7 Fishing rods<br /> .TENRYU Grand Marshal Series GM561S-3 Spinning rods<br /> .TENRYU Grand Marshal Series GM571S-4 Spinning rods<br /> .TENRYU Grand Marshal Series GM571S-6 Spinning rods<br /> .SHIMANO Blue Rose S551S Spinning rods<br /> .SHIMANO Blue Rose S602R Spinning rods<br /> .SHIMANO Blue Rose S553F Spinning rods<br /><br />- Fishing Rule /Jig:<br /> .RAPALA MAGNUMS CD 14 Colors SH,RH,PIM,GM,SM,BTO<br /> .RAPALA Saltwater Skitter Pop Item: IF-315725 <br /> .Storm Rattlin Chug Bug Item:IE-313067<br /> .Storm Rattlin Big Bug Item:IE-313068 <br /> .River 2 Sea Bubble Pop 150mm Item: lu37-48<br /> .River 2 Sea Knife Jig 180gram Rrigged Item: lu37-31<br /> .River 2 Sea Sea Rock 200grm Rigged Item: lu37-14<br /> <br />- Garmin GPS :<br /> . Etrex Etrex Vista and Vista Colors.<br /> . Garmin GPS V Duluxe Package.<br /> . Garmin GPS Map 76C.<br /> . Garmin GPS Map 76CS. <br /> . Garmin GPS MAP 60C.<br /> . Garmin GPSmap 60CS. <br /><br />- FISH FINDER :<br /> . GARMIN Fishfinder 320C .<br /> . Garmin GPSMAP 178c Sounder <br /> . Garmin Fishfinder 250 C <br /> . JRC JFV-250 Colour Sounder.<br /> . Furuno FCV-1200LM BB complete with Thru-Hull <br /> transducer.<br /> . Furuno GP1650F/ 1650DF 5.6"Color TFT LCD GPS/<br />DGPS/<br /> Chart Plotter/ Fish Finder.<br /> . Humminbird SmartCast RF15 Mobile Fishfinder<br /> . Humminbird SmartCast RF25 Rod Mount Fishfinder <br /> . Humminbird SmartCast RF35 Wrist Mount Fishfinder<br /> . Raymarine C120 Multifunction Display.<br /> . Raymarine DS600X Digital Fishfinder.<br /><br />- Underwater Viewing Camera :<br /> .Aqua-Vu "Quad 360"<br /> .Aqua-Vu "DT Series"<br /> .Aqua-Vu "Spool SC-100 Series"<br /><br />Or do you have another Fishing equipment,Navigation<br />and Accesories with a high quality you can supply??<br />Please give me a information for equipment you can<br />supply to me!!<br /><br />.I wanna know about the payment. Would You like to <br />accepts the credit card(Visa/Mastercard) payment??<br /><br />.For Shipping method,can you send my order via FedEx <br />Priority Courier to my country Indonesia??<br /><br />Have a nice days!!<br /><br />Thank for your bussiness cooperation and really need<br />your information ASAP . <br /><br />Best Regard,<br />Markus

Ralph 123

Captain

SBN - is this unsolicited or do you have a F&T business and this is an inquiry to your business?<br /><br />So much of this equipment is made in Asia that I find it hard to believe this guy needs to buy from a US supplier...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Ralph, it's an inquiry to a business, yes.<br />Yea, that's what struck me odd when I seen his list. I would think that this would be available to him to buy.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It'd be interesting to try to get CC approval on the value of that laundry list. Probably a stolen high limit card along with identity theft.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Scam. He can buy anything we can buy. If he can recieved shipped goods from you, why can't he just order from anywhere he wants? <br /><br />My mother tried to sell an antique clock on Ebay, it did not sell. She recieved an email from some dude in Norway (supposedly) saying he'll buy the clock for $1500. He will arrange shipping, but he wanted to send her the $1500 plus shipping costs, and have her send the shipping amount back to him. She recieved a cashiers check for $5000. He wanted her to keep the $1500 and send the rest back. The way the scam works is that the check is a very accurate forgeray, and the bank will deposit it. By the time the bank figures out it is a forgery, the scam artist has their money and the victim is screwed because they sent the $3500 to someone. They are now in the hole. Anything unsolicited just can't be trust anymore, especially if it is from Central Asia, Eastern Asia, anywhere over there. It is all Russian mob stuff, very ugly.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea tha's what I figures for sure. Been there, done that, only I was lucky. It was a cashiers check on a local bank here at home and they checked it and said it was ok and cashed it, then 5 days later they call me to tell me that it was no good and that the home office had not notified them. <br /><br />Well to make a long story short, they said I would have to pay them back, but guess what, my lawyer said different, case dis-missed.<br /><br />Thanks for the replies.

Ralph 123

Captain

Well, you can give him a quote and tell him wire tranfer only before ship.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

IN Thailand this stuff IS hard to come by. Indonesia is probably the same.<br /><br />You never see anyone fishsing with this equpment, they use nets or cane poles.<br /><br />I had to bring my own rods and reels over to Tthailand cause stuff is so expensive there.<br /><br />Just because it is made there doenst mean they can get it there, or it is cheaper.<br /><br />Different markets get different prices for stuff.<br /><br />If he has a credit card, then he can get a cash advance, then wire you the cash.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You may have a problem with the GPS, they may not let him import those, but it will be his problem if customs seizes them.<br /><br />He only asks you if credit card is OK. Tell him no, the only way is wire transfer.<br /><br />You could make a pretty penny from this if it is legit.<br /><br />Does Bass Pro Shops not ship over there?<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Thanks Ken, I sent him an email asking about other ways of paying and if they would be ok. I will wait for his response.<br /><br />Don't know if Bass Pro does or not, will check and see.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Unusual for someone opening a business overseas to ask for private help. The most direct route is to ask the wholesalers for what they need. And he sure ain't gonna get a wholesale price from a Bait & Tackle shop like mine. Even though the prices are elevated over there as compared to here in the States, he'd still be better off going through wholesalers.<br /><br />I think it's a scam like those emails ya' get from 3rd world countries asking you to provide a place to xfer some exorborant amount of money to....Oh yea, you'd get a cut.....right round the throat line.....<br /><br />I ain't seen this one yet Les but I'll keep my eyes open for it.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

How to tell an internet scam:<br /><br /><br />Does it concern any of these countries ?:<br /><br /><br />1. Indonesia<br />2. Romania<br />3. Any country that ends in -stan <br />4. Serbia<br />5. Croatia<br />6. Russia<br />7. Nigeria<br />8. Kenya<br />9. And just about any 3rd world country<br /><br />Answer yes?<br /><br />IT'S A SCAM!<br /><br />Don't bother reading any of the thieve's emails, just delete.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

it may be but maybe not. while I was in Venezuela I could not find 20lb test mono, top water baits or plain hooks. the few rod a reel combos I found were 4 times the cost in the states. I did find one 6" rapala for 22 dollars US. a lot of what we take for granted is just plain not avalible there. I have a friend that fishs indonesia twice a year and he tells me if the boat floats and only has to be bailed every hour or so your doing good,but other than that they have nothing in the way of tackle for sale.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I dont know much about the ins and outs of fishing supplies, but he may not have enough volume for a wholesaler.<br /><br />Only accept a wire transfer and you are safe.<br />Western Union is also pretty safe.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well, with the earthquake, I guess I will miss out on that big sale. :D <br /><br />Hope all is well over there.

Admin5

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here is a quick way to get 100% secure payment from an overseas transaction - bank wire transfer into your account. Once the money is in, there is NO way the person can get it back. That is the only way iboats accepts payments from overseas. Works great also in weeding out the serious buyers from the scammers/dreamers.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Thanks Admin5, he has made no contact back with me since I emailed him my conditions, so I guess they were not acceptable to him. :rolleyes:

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by bomar76:<br /> How to tell an internet scam:<br /><br /><br />Does it concern any of these countries ?:<br /><br /><br />1. Indonesia<br />2. Romania<br />3. Any country that ends in -stan <br />4. Serbia<br />5. Croatia<br />6. Russia<br />7. Nigeria<br />8. Kenya<br />9. And just about any 3rd world country<br /><br />Answer yes?<br /><br />IT'S A SCAM!<br /><br />Don't bother reading any of the thieve's emails, just delete.
That is a FACT.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

On every forum/newsgroup I frequent the same question is asked over and over.... "I got an offer to sell XYZ to a guy in - insert country from above list here- and he is gonna pay me with a (pick one) credit card - cashiers check- wire transfer (which CAN be bogus...it's not 100% fraud free). Is this deal legit?<br /><br />OF COURSE it's not!<br />Why on earth do you think they would pick YOU to buy this stuff from over the 100,000's of other sources out there?<br /><br />Because it's a scam.<br />And they are preying on your greed.<br /><br />The "buyer" (who has a stolen credit card) could have emailed Jerry's Sport Center or any one of a boatload of tackle dealers and had the stuff wholesale next day if it was legit.