Saturn vs Mercury

erider81

Seaman Apprentice
would a saturn airfloor pvc be anywhere near comparable to a Mercury 340 airdeck Hypalon? Especially if the mercury is only a few hundred more then the saturn? Yeah i know the hypalon is supposed to be much better, but are the mercury boats themselves worth it? I'd prefer the saturn 12' because of space and motor capacity, but if the 11.2' Merc is a much better boat then I'll deal with quality over a few inches of capacity and half the motor handling. Can anyone share any info? I've had a hard time finding many reviews on the Mercury.

Thanks,
Glen

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Saturn vs Mercury

Mercury Hypalon is as good as any other portable Hypalon fabric boat on the market. The Saturn has it's place in the market too, but does not have a warranty.(Advertised warranty is useless if you have to return the boat to the distributor).

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I have to say that I am very pleased with the customer services at the Saturn dealer(Boatstogo) I have a 2008 saturn that the plywood floor is absorbing water I think it is a bad quality marine boards and they ordered a new marine play wood floor boards for me and I only have to pay $39 for the shipping and I get to keep the old floor too I think that speaks volume about the Saturn warranty!!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Actually I think you just made my point for me. Whether the boat is okay or horrible isn't really the issue. They are cheap enough so that you can throw them away every few years and replace them and as long as someone knows that before they buy them....Great. But, the complete lack of service stations is a problem if you have a problem with the boat itself. Floor boards aside, spending $80.00 to $120.00 to ship the boat back to where it came from will quickly turn into a money pit. Even having to plop out $40.00 for boards would bother me as I think warranty should equal free...Not free, but you have to pay shipping. But, I could be wrong. You warmongering Yankee's have so much more money than we poor southern freedom fighters that sometimes I forget how different we really are:)

Last edited:

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

You warmongering Yankee's have so much more money than we poor southern freedom fighters that sometimes I forget how different we really are
What are you talking about?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It was a little esoteric. It was a reference to the "War of Yankee Aggression"/the availability of assets to Yankees=industrialized north/your not minding spending the money on shipping/your being in Maryland. It was a reach:) But, I'll go as far as I can to TRY to be humorous. Obviously not as funny as I thought it was when I wrote it:)

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciated it Elvin, I've been saving my Dixie cups for years!

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Elvin I know what it means I was just pulling your leg thanks for all your help BTW:)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Mercury Hypalon is as good as any other portable Hypalon fabric boat on the market. The Saturn has it's place in the market too, but does not have a warranty.(Advertised warranty is useless if you have to return the boat to the distributor).

It would be advisable for any new customer/purchaser of any brands inflatable sib/rib boat to ask the local dealer in case the warranty is needed, if he provides warranty locally or not and what does the warranty covers. Most inflatable boats are made in China, Korea and would be a crime to have them shipped backwards to be repaired/exchanged, etc. So purchase from a reputed boat dealer, one that can provide total warranty locally would be my advise.

Happy Boating