Power Tilt and Trim Blowing Fluid

phisherman

Recruit
Have a 97' 115 Mercury O/B with power tilt and trim and has been blowing fluid from the unit when operating.. took it in to be looked at and was told to replace the entire unit as a whole because of a rot hole in the cylinder. But WOW did I get sticker shock on the new replacement price and hesitate to install a used unit for reliability sake. Before I lay-out big bucks on this for new is there any possibility to get these units rebuilt? Weighing out the possibilities of either rebuilding or entire new replacement... please advise if you have had experience on this... THX

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Power Tilt and Trim Blowing Fluid

The tilt ram should be replacable if that's where your leak is. If it's in the manifold, then you'll need a new unit. Sometimes they can be found used. Otherwise, yup, there mighty expensive.

phisherman

Recruit

Just so I could talk to the marine mechanic with some sort of knowledge... what is the difference btwn the tilt ram and manifold. Is the tilt ram the hydrolic cylinder and the manifold the motor and pump assembly? Is there someone out there that rebuilds these units instead of doing a total replacement? I've been quoted $500 if they could find a used unit and $900 bucks for new these prices do not include labor to install (pricing seems way crazy high to me). Your thoughts?

y not

Seaman Apprentice

From someone who has just pensioned off an old Jhonson with trim / tilt problems.<br /><br />These prices seem quite cheap!!!!!!!! try that on for scary.