inflatable-catamaran-MC365-01.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 5
  • merc.JPG
    merc.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 5

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

With how many souls on board do you plan going boating with and which motor brand will be powering it ? Strange that a 12 footer will only hold just a 9.9 HP motor, that size usually holds 15-20 HP ones which should weight the same as a 9.9 depending on brand.

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
9.9 may be too much depending on conditions. The description includes a warning about the bow flipping up and over if air is caught.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Those cats needs to be powered while a boater sits way up front if not risk going airborne if encountering too much up wind while throttling too much. Cats as any other inflatable boat has their own learning curve till the beast is completely tamed and boater feels comfy running with. If going for a 9.9 HP better go for a 15 HP, both shares same CC and weights same, just throttle less. As the saying says : better is more than lesss specially when needing more...

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Then you need 3M + long arms if solo boating.
Over powering by 50%, especially a light boat subject to to instability, is never a good idea.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The OP has not responded yet what initially was inquired in post 2 which is key, why do you draw premature conclusions....

Happy Boating

62jmorse

Recruit
Mostly the boat will be used for two people. I was thinking of the 9.9 Mercury which weighs about 100 pounds. Not looking to race it, just cruise around. The boat has 1400 lb capacity.

GA_Boater

The OP has not responded yet what initially was inquired in post 2 which is key, why do you draw premature conclusions....

Happy Boating
You did, so I can. I stand by what I said about overpowering, even with two on board.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Mostly the boat will be used for two people. I was thinking of the 9.9 Mercury which weighs about 100 pounds. Not looking to race it, just cruise around. The boat has 1400 lb capacity.
OK, for such light application don't need a 15 HP motor. If by racing you mean speeding, you can race with a 9.9 HP motor, just need to prop it right to run towards max 6100 wot revs. Inflate all tubes and air deck to factory specs with a pressure gauge if wanting to have fun and get the max out of it.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you haven't purchased yet the flimsy first entry level 13 footer Saturn Catamarn will suggest skip that fne and go for this nice 13 footer traditional Sib ::

Has more tech advantages and better suited for most boating applications. Cost more but it's a much better build inflatable.

Saturn 365 Triton.JPG

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Saturn 365 Triton.JPG
    Saturn 365 Triton.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 0

62jmorse

Recruit
Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to go for a 9.9 Merc short shaft. I went back and forth with the cat and the tender but I think the cat will actually fit my needs better. I saw one and talked with the owner and it got very good recommendation.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to go for a 9.9 Merc short shaft. I went back and forth with the cat and the tender but I think the cat will actually fit my needs better. I saw one and talked with the owner and it got very good recommendation.
OK, post some nice pics when the combo package it's on the water. Would suggest to buy a pressure gauge and inflate all air chambers to their factory recommended working pressure for the cat to perform as expected...

Happy Boating

62jmorse

Recruit
I finally got to get the boat out on the water. After 4 weeks in Key Largo I can say that this boat is quite amazing. It is powered by a mercury 9.9 which is more than enough motor, and also has an SE Sport hydrofoil. With 2 people fully loaded it tops out at 15 mph. With one person the top was 17 mph.
I was a little concerned with water coming in with the open front, but the boat stayed very dry. Riding side by side with other inflatables our ride was just as good if not better than the ones with the enclosed front. I took on some 3+ ft waves and the boat did very well.
Very roomy boat, gets on plane fast, and can go all day on the 3 gallon fuel tank. IMG_1334.jpg

62jmorse

Recruit
The electric automatic pump is a must, I would never try inflating this without the electric pump.
The 9.9 Merc is more than enough motor for the boat. Max speed is 17 mph. It is a very fun boat and handles well. I was worried about the open front but it stays completely dry. The front makes it easy to get in and out of the boat for swimming or snorkeling.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Nice combo congrats!! Get yourself a 12V battery operated electric air pump to top tubes and deck to their factory recommended working presures. It's very uncomfy to re inflate both with a foot or manual pump while standing on an non rigid unstable surface. If wanting a better hole shot with slight top end encrease install one less pitch prop from the current factory delivered one which surely it's a 10 pitch ?

Happy Boating