Saturn FB365 or FB385? New heat welded seams and fiberglass transom models

SoCalPescador

Seaman
Considering these two boats. Primary (95%) uses will be lakes rivers, and some occasional harbor cruises inshore fishing (5%).

Anyone own any of these two boats? Care to comment on it?

I will be taking this with me in my travel trailer to use/access water (river/lakes) in the Southwest/West (CA, AZ, NV, NM, UT, ID, OR, CO).

I plan to fish with my 17yo son who has Autism but loves going everywhere with me! He loves camping and boating!!! Auto-inflate vest for him 100% of the time and we never go out in questionable weather.

I plan on using a Viking products hitch winch for loading raft and motor.

I will be fishing and sight seeing...primarily fishing.
2-3 passengers 90% of time and the occasional 4th person.

I like the 18" pontoon size of the FB385, but prefer the 12' size for my uses but it has the 16.5" pontoon.

Is the 18" pontoon much more preferable for my uses or is the 16.5" plenty sufficient?
I don't need to plane and not looking for speed as I am fishing....
what motor size is preferable?

Thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If had to choose, I would go for the 385, it's only 20 cm larger than the 365, has slight more deck space which is something to count with, as the boat increases in size so does the lateral tubes diameter, the 385 will float tad higher on water than the 365. A small portable motor say a 4 stroke 9.8 Tohatsu/Merc will slide and power much better a larger size sib than a shorter one. Invest wise, for just $ 100 more go for the larger 385 eyes closed...

Happy Boating

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ive had both... Having recently moved up to the 385 from 365s ive had in the past. With the air floor its a no brainer. It rides so much nicer. Those 12 inches make a difference. I have a suzuki 20 hanging on back and i do 24mph all day in flat or light chop and ive hit 25.7 gps verified. Very nice set upIMG_66881.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Before importing air deck sibs, tested a 360 for several days, the only down issues I sees is that the air floor rigidity varies too much as the day passes by due to holding a very reduced air volume. What was top inflated to in the morning will not stay the same in the afternoon, much worse during winter time, so need to carry a foot or hand pump along a pressure gauge to reinflate the whole sib again to their factory recommended working pressure to achieve a more rigid structure if powering it with a larger and heavier HP motor.

The air floor can puncture very easily with pointy or sharp objects, fish hooks that's why is recommended to place a shaped carpet around the air deck's contour to protect it from any unexpected doom. If plan going for a trailer and keep a sib inflated all year round an alum pannel floor sib it's a much better water performer option at around the same price as an air deck sib. A matter of personal tastes and preferences...

Happy Boating

We bought the SD365 5 years ago and love it!! This boat replaced a Zodiac inflatable I had for over 20 years this is a case where the motor outlasted the boat. The Saturn is easy to inflate and use, The hand pump works well and with the one-way valves pressure does not escape when you remove the air hose. We upgraded last year and bought the electric air pump total time from pulling out of the minivan to the water is 20 minutes Powered by a 1984 Mercury 25XD we fly at 26.5 mph with 2 adults wicked fun!! We covered the air floor with marine carpet, used 2 sided velcro to attach the boat registration to the side and used stencil and permanent marker for the registration numbers. I found that using an extension handle on the tiller handle helps move body weight further up reducing time to plane. I already had a fin on the motor , We bought the optional wheels and makes easy transport from the garage to the lake. Easy to pack in the minivan with motor on top. We took the boat out to the Wisconsin Dells and boated on the upper and lower dells, lots of compliments from people in the Duck Boats,

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Tiller extensions once fully attached on the grip flexes too much when steering, adding a SS bridle as seen in pic cancels the unwanted flexing.

3-Tach & Tiller Extender.JPG

For top steering, turn the nut located on the swivel bracket's side, the one that controls the steering shaft load to minimum. Both suggestions will assure fast response steering with min hand effort...

Happy Boating