Salute America's Heroes

txswinner

Banned
Just opened my office mail and got the saddest of sad letters. Many of you know I am, always have been and will continue to be anti-war in Iraq. Todays mail is from a group called "Salute America's Heroes, and their big name spokesperson is General Tommy Franks. I do not know if they are legitament or not. <br /><br />They are asking for donations to support the wounded troops. Legless, armless, blind, brain damaged, burned; all the horrible injuries of war. Now they can not fight, so out of the military they go, with no help from the government, to which they gave of their healthy bodies.<br /><br />If this is a true supportive charity, I will give. However, my anger with President Bush and his Congress in reducing support for veterans; while sending others to a fight, that they have and always will refuse to fight, is beyond description.<br /><br />Maybe Bush could quit playing tough guy warrior and send some of the money used to fly out to air craft carrier to support the over 17,500 troops who have been wounded.<br /><br />Guess this is a troll but I needed a release as I have lived this once before, seeing my generation and how the Vietnam vets have been forgotten by the government.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Salute America's Heroes

quote: by tsxwinner<br />_____________________________________________________________________<br />Now they cannot fight, so out of the military they go, with no help from the government, to which they gave of their healthy bodies.<br />____________________________________________________________________<br />Hey Tex that is not a true statement. <br />When a soldier is wounded in combat it largely depends on how severe the injury is. A minor injury the soldier will remain in country. I know several soldiers that received the purled hearty twice during the same rotation in Iraq. If is a severe injury the solder will be sent to a military hospital in Europe or the states to recover. After the soldier is able to leave the hospital some go to a medical holding company. And some will rejoin their rear detachment and rehabilitate there. If a soldier is medically discharged they will file a VA claims during out-processing and receive medical benefits and compensation. Some are medically retired and will receive a payment based on their rank and years of service and disability. If the Government did nothing do you think we would still have all voluntary Military? As for the "Salute America's Heroes" I haven’t herd of them so I don’t know may be a legitimate organization and may not be.

aspeck

Staff member

I know of a soldier whose household is recieving over $125,000 per year (his parents went to school, became nurses, and they are his principle caregivers - paid for by the US Armed Services) because he got drunk, pulled a soda machine over on himself and is paralized from the neck down. If our government pays that to a non-combat drunk, I am sure they would pay medical expenses and disability pay for combat service. I could be wrong, however, but I sure hope not!

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

My step-son wasn't in combat, but while he was in the Marines he liked to get buff and would lift too heavy of weights and guess what? He caused serious injury to his arms. He had surgery and now he gets $350 a month for the rest of his life for his carelessness. Some disability compensations are a good thing. I believe this one is not. He didn't earn it, but that's the way it goes I guess.<br />Bassy

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Can someone actually put a name on the injured that are getting nothing from the government????<br /><br />I keep hearing about these guys, but never a name.<br /><br />Ken

txswinner

Banned

I spoke in anger and nothing is not the proper word. Most of the injured are E-5 or less and their income is close to the poverty range so how much is the disability.<br /><br />The soldier getting $125,000 per year is really not. Yes they will pay for future medical under VA but that is for his medical. What about income to support a family.<br /><br />Also if you watch the news VA hospitals are being closed and benefits cut. Some care is outstanding as it should be.

oddjob

Commander

I salute all vets.....heros...and BUSH!....yeah baby....

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by oddjob:<br /> I salute all vets.....heros...and BUSH!....yeah baby....
Hooah! and ditto

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by txswinner:<br />The soldier getting $125,000 per year is really not. Yes they will pay for future medical under VA but that is for his medical. What about income to support a family.
You are right, HE is not, but he is getting some, and HIS parents are getting paid for the 24/7 care that HE requires. They took the classes and got the certification so they can do that. They are getting paid from the government to care for their son. Their pay, plus the disability pay of the son, equals a nice chunk of change going to his household because of a stupid, self inflicted stunt.

txswinner

Banned

I agree this sounds ugly because of how the injury occurred. There are exceptions just as there will be some mangled troops that will lead successful lives. I have the highest admiration for them.<br /><br />My concern is for those that can't do for themselves or that are so terribly injured. The blind, the quad, the brain damaged. We must support them and cutting VA hospitals and benefits is not the way!!

txswinner

Banned

OK Ken,<br /><br />"I have been denied certain jos because of my injuries and I am financially strugllin." Stanley K.<br /><br />"Our biggest problems are financial because my wife had to quit her job to take care of me." Trevor P. Wounded army veteran<br /><br />"We need a wheelchair accessible home. The process of building is overwhelming." Gene W.<br /><br />and on and on. Just like repeating a lie will not make it truth, ignoring reality by arguing show me will not make the problem disappear. <br /><br />These are a few of the examples in the SAH brochure, of course they could be all lies and General Franks could just be a con-artist.<br /><br />Thank God, I do not know anyone first hand from this stupid war. I guess if one is conservative enough they would just believe each family should take care of their own. Otherwise it would be left wing liberal ***** loving welfare supporting communism. I know I missed some of the names but I do not want to leave this people without support and hope.<br /><br />By the way Ken, know anyone exposed to Agent Orange that died or was disabled. How about some of my friends Ronald Karm, Ken Bittle, Jerry Smith, and this list goes on and on. <br /><br />Ken lost his job because his brain quit working properly. He was an IT guy. VA will put him away.<br /><br />Ronald is dead after 8 months with a brain tumor.<br /><br />Ken is dead, brain tumor.<br /><br />No I can not prove it was agent orange, but all were grunts exposed to the stuff.<br /><br />Just because you can not touch or see the problem first hand does not mean it does not exist.<br /><br />If more names are wanted, I would suggest you write to:<br />SAH<br />1360 Beverly Road<br />Suite 300<br />McLean, VA 22101<br /><br />Maybe they can get you some photos of limbs and burns. Oh by the way when are you going to Iraq to fight?

aspeck

Staff member

txswinner, the purpose of my post was not to rant on excessive VA benefits or downplay the additional need for same. I have the utmost respect for our armed service men and women and think they should be justly rewarded - especially when the horrors of war hit home and they come home wounded, crippled, maimed, whatever. I just wanted you to know that are bennys out there for the injured soldier. How to get them, I don't know. I am not, nor ever was, a soldier. Maybe it is not easy enough to get - maybe because of the idiot that I mentioned, or Bassy mentioned - but there are ways and means available.<br /><br />And yes, if it is a legit organization that doesn't spend most of the contributions made in administrative expenses, then we should all think about giving some extra to help those in need who stood up for us and freedom.

oddjob

Commander

From the "Halls of Montizuma"....To the shores of Tripoli...

D

DJ

We're forgetting one thing.<br /><br />This is an ALL VOLUNTEER force.<br /><br />I'm ALL FOR supporting those wounded/maimed.<br /><br />TXS, yes the family SHOULD provide the support. That is what families are for. But, we've spent 40 years of liberalism knocking down family and those values. We reap what we sow.<br /><br />With all that, I believe the government owes you, to a point. Human nature and liberalism tells you that you can never get enough.<br /><br />Remember, your DRIVE for success, is from the heart, not the brain. Being your own boss is one thing, over being an employee.

Link

Rear Admiral

TXS<br />I dont think you should donate to something like that. Looks more like scams and (or) people against President Bush to me.<br /><br />I'll use myself as a Example:<br />I served my country during Vietnam and do to severe back injuries I can not work and the Goverment is doing nothing to help me! <br />Link K<br />Link T<br />Link P<br />The statement is true. I was drafted in 71 and can show you the draft notice. I can show you my enlistment. I can show you my orders for Vietnam.<br />And my back injury is very real.<br /><br /> What isnt said , is that 4 days before shipping out to nam I got a second set of orders and went to another school and then jump school <br />training and woundup in the 82nd Airborne at Ft Bragg<br />As for the back injury it happened in 2000, so no the Goverment isnt helping.. :) <br />And<br />Link K<br />Link T<br />Link P<br /><br />No last names, ssn, or DD214 form? <br />I'd put that letter in file 13 and not worry about it.<br />Its good that you care and thanks but dont be scammed

D

DJ

Link,<br /><br />BIG DIFFERENCE. You were forced to go.<br /><br />We should take care for you. Vet, expenditures are not that of the President, IT'S CONGRESS. The Pres. can only approve what is sent to him.<br /><br />Blame your Congressman, not the Pres.<br /><br />Call him/her, write him/her (not e-amil, those are jokes in DC). Write a REAL letter, explaining your plight.<br /><br />You'll get action. Again, WRITE a real letter.

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey DJ<br />I just put in bold "What isnt said" to show TXS its pretty easy to hide the truth. Or make something look different than it is.<br />IE I was never in nam and my injury had nothing to do with the Military.<br />But thanks anyway.<br />Your correct on writing real letters and phone calls. And alway document every call with the name of the person you talked to,time of call and date. Let them know what your doing.<br />e-mails for the most part are a waste of time.

KRS

Banned

Send that same letter to your congressman in your state and your reps, and then send it to their DC address.