saltwater

knarrman

Cadet
again i seek expertise....have only used my boat in freshwater....going to use it in saltwater for the first time this summer in oc,md....just curious as is the procedure for properly accomplishing this task...for instance...do i launch the boat and keep it at the rental dock for the week...or keep it on the trailer and everytime i take it out get it to the car wash..any advice would be helpful..thanks

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: saltwater

I always wash my boat and outboard straight away after using it in the salt. Mainly for peace of mind after seeing a saltwater ravaged outboards insides!! Also, the option of a rental dock isnt one i have here!! As to how long a boat can last in salt with no ill effects, im not sure. Dont forget lots of boats spend their whole lives in the salt.

18rabbit

Captain

I don’t think it’s so much the salt itself as it is the secondary effects of the salt. Salt turns water into electrolyte for current to flow thru causing electrolysis. Salt crystals left on a surface will extract moisture from the air and cause galvanic corrosion. Same crystals on stainless steel can cause the water to be held in place and stagnate causing rust.<br /><br />Trailering vs mooring kind of depends on your commute to/from the boat launch and the hassle involved. My first thought is to trailer the critter, and when you’re done hose it down and flush the engine(s) at home. That’s how we do our trailered boat. But we’re only 10 min from the freebee launch. The nice thing (or not, depending on your perspective) about having the boat at home is there is always something you can tinker around with on it. Sure beats watching tv. :) <br /><br />Btw, by having the boat at home I was able to used the 115 Johnson Seahorse to train my neighbor. I really don’t like the new-age lounge-music jazz that’s popular. When he plays it and cranks up the volume with the window open, I play my Seahorse at 5000rpms. No one gets to hear much of anything … and can I help it if the exhaust pours out of the motor and into his window?!?!? He’s been trained.<br /> :D :D :D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

knarman, If you can afford the to rent the dock, do it. IMHO your vacation will be so much more enjoyable if you do not have to trailer the boat every day. As for the salt, it will not harm the fiberglass bottom, nor will it attract barnacles in a week. Hose the salt off the top of the boat after you have tied it up for the day. If you can flush the motor with the hose, do that as well at the end of the day. Even if you cannot flush it, a week of salt water is not going to harm the motor. I keep my 1977 outboard and my 1988 sterndrive in salt water seven months a year. <br /><br />Remember not to lay it up for any amount of time without flushing the motor with fresh water.

Bondo

Staff member

If this is Just a week of vacation,<br />Go Ahead,+ dock it.......<br /><br />After your vacation,<br />At your Earliest convenience, Splash your boat,+ Run it in Freshwater..........<br />Running the engine Good,+ Hard will Flush the system Much Better than with a Hose Flush.........<br />Getting the motor up to Temp,+ Flushing in a Freshwater lake IS the Best Way to Flush the Salt Away........<br /><br />Good Luck,+ Have Fun......

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

keep her docked, like i have said in other posts my 20 yr old sea ray 350 w/alpha one runs pretty good condidering the thing hasnt been taken care of in a while before I got it, 800 hrs raw water cooled and all, sat in the water for i dont know how long, ive replaced all the sacrificial anodes, once, probly a once a yaer thing if its in the water all the time, your not gonna have any problems. Biggest thing is not to let it get to ya to the point it ruins your fun, so have fun and fagetabboutit. just dont let water sit in the bilge at any cost! fresh or salty

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can put it in the water for a week. It really depends on access to the type of water use you want from where you can put it. Sometimes it can be a long run from where you are tied up to where you want to use the boat. Pirates Cove in Nag's Head is bad that way. If you want to fish off shore you first have to make a 10 mile run to the inlet, and of course back home at night too. <br /><br />I kept my boat in the water one year, I would never do it again. The boat aged more in that one year (9 months actually) than it has in the other 13 years of its life. It certainly hastened the boat's rewireing by a couple of years. On the other hand we put it in the water and stay on it for long weekends from time to time in the salt. Hatteras is real good for that.<br /><br />Most of the time we simply leave it on the trailer and leave the boat on the Outer Banks. Its a 450 commute from my home to where we park the boat. So I drive down (8 hours almost to the minute), pick up the boat, fish for a long weekend, and then I wash down the boat and take it back and park it. I give it a quick rinse down each day it's used as well, but I only really clean it at the end of the long weekend.<br /><br />With my last engine I quit flushing entirely sometime around 1996 or so. With the old engine we had to use earmuffs and run the engine to do the flush. I realized how bad an idea that was so I quit flushing all together. It never hurt the engine a bit and in fact that engine (1989 Suzuki DT-200) is still pushing around a Boston Whaler. Then I got the new engine and it has a flushing port that can be used without the engine running. So I piced up a washer hose to make the connection and now I flush again. The way its set up an a Suzuki I simply hook it up, turn on the water, and then go about my other business for a half hour or so. That's OK with me because there is no chance of doing damage to the engine. <br /><br />As far as the pumps and such, I don't worry about them. Our boat doesn't get all that dirty when we fish. We have a high pressure and high volume raw water washdown system (Groco C-60) so the boat gets an almost continous salt water wash all day long. Aside from hosing off anytime anything gets on the hull we usually mix up some soap and wash it down the cockpit on the ride back in from fishing anyway so the boat's clean, all we need to do is the quick fresh water rinse after its out of the water and don't worry about a full quarter-car-wash fresh water pressure washing until the last day.<br /><br />Been doing it that way for years and we don't have any particular corrosion issues.<br /><br />Oh, also, when I bring the boat home in the fall (sometimes its quite cold by the time I come home) I always at least back it into a local lake and run the engine for a bit. Most years I try to take it for a quick run (half hour or so) in the fresh water lake as well. If you have already added stabilizer for the winter before this little run it gets the treated gas into the injection system too. I guess that was off subject but worth mentioning.<br /><br />Thom

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Posting the same question/problem in two seperate sections of iboats gets some of us confused.