Saltwater in Gas Tank

Fester

Seaman
I need to know if there is something I can add or clean / wash out the tank with that will eliminate the possibility of corrosion due to saltwater in the tank. It currently has 10+ gallons of saltwater in the tank and I am pumping it out tonight and cleaning the outside of the tank. Can anyone advise?

3442146396_bbb1203f27.jpg

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Saltwater in Gas Tank

I need to know if there is something I can add or clean / wash out the tank with that will eliminate the possibility of corrosion due to saltwater in the tank. It currently has 10+ gallons of saltwater in the tank and I am pumping it out tonight and cleaning the outside of the tank. Can anyone advise?

3442146396_bbb1203f27.jpg

First, remove the batteries, you don't want any accidents.

Second, how long has the saltwater been in the tank?

Third, is there gas and oil in the tank with the salt water, how much?

Fourth, is this an aluminum tank or other, how many gallons?

Fifth, can the tank be easily removed from the boat?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

After the tank is pumped empty, the sender unit can be removed and that will let you get a good visual inspection of the inside of the tank.

Report back on what you find and what the tank is made from (I think it looks like aluminum, but can't tell from the photos) and more members will be able to give you the next steps to cleaning it up.

Fester

Seaman

First, remove the batteries, you don't want any accidents. REMOVED

Second, how long has the saltwater been in the tank? 5 WEEKS

Third, is there gas and oil in the tank with the salt water, how much? UNKNOWN MIXTURE 15 GALLONS TOTAL WATER/OIL/GAS

Fourth, is this an aluminum tank or other, how many gallons? ALUMINUM I THINK (30 GALLON TANK?0
Fifth, can the tank be easily removed from the boat? YES

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How on earth did it get full of saltwater? Did you sink it? Probably other problem to consider.

Fester

Seaman

I bought the boat off of a guy who sunk the boat. He went out on the banana river the weekend the footbal players went down and was not experienced enough to recover from his mistakes. The boat is in remarkable condition and the motor is almost complete. Any help would be great!:)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Was the motor started after being recovered? If not, how long has it sat without being run? I ask because depending on how quickly the motor was started directly affects the motors condition. Sitting with salt water in it for days or weeks will have ruined the motor (rings,bearings, reed valves, carbs all rusted). Starting and running right away will have dried and saved the motor.

Judging from the gas tank being full of water, my guess is the motor was not started yet. Is that correct?

Fester

Seaman

The motor was not started and has been sitting for 5 weeks. I was able to turn the flywheel and pickle the block with Marvell Mystery oil. The motor has no corrosion on or in it and looks to be in perfect condition. I am replacing all of the fuel lines and filters, just want to know if I need to coat or protect the tank

Bondo

Staff member

Third, is there gas and oil in the tank with the salt water, how much? UNKNOWN MIXTURE 15 GALLONS TOTAL WATER/OIL/GAS

Fourth, is this an aluminum tank or other, how many gallons? ALUMINUM I THINK (30 GALLON TANK?0
Fifth, can the tank be easily removed from the boat? YES

Ayuh,... So yank the tank Out,... Dump it,+ Flush it with Lots,+ Lots of Freshwater...
Then dry it out,+ Reinstall it....

Fester

Seaman

Thanks....is it that easy?.....there is no need to use a chemical wash?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Let us know when you're going to fire it up!

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Once you get the sending unit out you'll be able to get a good look round. As Bond-o already said, give it a good flush. If you're real careful about it, you can drop in a small, clean rag and use a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 copper tubing to push it around and wipe down the inside of the tank. I've done this a time or two with no problems. Just be sure you get all of the rag back out.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You should probably unscrew the pickup tube and clean the screen at the bottom.

Fester

Seaman

Thanks....I am going to remove the sending unit, all hoses, basically anything connected, get the corrosion off the outside, flush the inside and replace the hardware.....so you agree that should take care of it?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Remember this key piece of advice....... WD-40 which stands for Water Displacement......

WD-40 will be your friend is getting moisture out and will not harm anything...... use it on wires, sending unit and everything AFTER you have washed away the salt water with fresh water.

maxum247

Lieutenant

After flushing the gas tank good, I'd put a fuel/water seperator in the fuel line if the setup does'nt already have one, if it does install a new screw on filter before running the engine.
I picked up an attwood fuel/water seperator at Walmart for $24.96 plus tax.

Attachments

• Picture 183.jpg
    Picture 183.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

After flushing the gas tank good, I'd put a fuel/water seperator in the fuel line if the setup does'nt already have one, if it does install a new screw on filter before running the engine.
I picked up an attwood fuel/water seperator at Walmart for $24.96 plus tax.

Thats is a good and inexpensive water separating filter. Just remember to buy a few spare filters for it. Independent tests (I think by Continuous Wave) show that when water separating filters reach their water limit, they ALL start passing water. Be they Racor, Moeller, Attwood, or Marpac, so have spare filters and change frequently, especially when recovering from a submersion.