Salt water buildup 9.9 / 15

Chief Petty Officer
Recently acquired a 2001 9.9 and swapped the carb (15hp) , prop, impeller, plugs, gear oil, and link & synced everything back to factory settings.

While examining the thermostat I noticed it a lot of salt build up. Contacted the seller , and he mentioned the previous owners were from the US , and fished the Mississippi for channel cats.

Is there a correct procedure to remove decades of internal salt buildup. C.L.R

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I don't seem to remember channel cats living in salt water. I also don't recall the Mississippi being salty. Are you sure it's not calcium build up.

Chief Petty Officer
The river is fresh but leads into the ocean where areas are brackish but you're right it could possibly calcium. Hopefully you're right

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The river is fresh but leads into the ocean where areas are brackish but you're right it could possibly calcium. Hopefully you're right
Yea but your way out to get into salt. I grew up on the coast there were salt water cats too. I don't think with a motor that small they left the Mississippi from fresh and went to the salt way out there

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Yea but your way out to get into salt. I grew up on the coast there were salt water cats too. I don't think with a motor that small they left the Mississippi from fresh and went to the salt way out there
I don't think those catfish were channel cats.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I don't seem to remember channel cats living in salt water.
You may be surprised.
We have Blue and Channel cats showing up in pretty good numbers in the Chesapeake these days.
Don't know what's changed....never caught catfish Striper fishing in the past.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don't think those catfish were channel cats.
I think some people called them channel cats. Certainly not saying there the same ones. Common names are all over the place too. Someone may just have started that cause they looked like the fresh water channel cat