Salt buildup in cooling system Merc 45hp (1988)

fallautumn2

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
24
Hi guys,

during my recent replacement of the water pump (see earlier post) I noticed that the place where the copper water tube enters the power head was encrusted with salt crystals. I tried to mechanically poke it loose without success. When I stared the motor the pee hole was working well, however I would like to get rid of the buildup.
Is there any way to do this with out pulling the motor apart ???
I'm also concerned that there may be a buildup of salt in the water jacket, and if this is correct may eventually impede water circulation and thus lead to an ever increasing operating temperature.

PS I always flush the engine for at least 10 minutes afetr every trip without fail, so was surprised by the salt.

Any help wopuld be greatly appreciated.
 
Top