s-10 blazer vs cherokee

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: s-10 blazer vs cherokee

Yes, I love new technology and kudos to GM.....BUT.....It is hard to give up on the simple and proven reliability of the the old Jeep (AMC) I-6. Just being able to see and having uncluttered access to the engine is a plus for me. NO timing belts,no complex valve-train and numerous stories of 300k trouble free miles is also a great engineering feat that originated in 1930!

Well I'd say the technololgy when it came out in 2001 for 2002 model year to me was just keeping up with the pack. The big issue with the 4.2 is the poor gas mileage they get in the 4800lb Trailblazer. The 5.3 liter V8 that came on certain models in the gmt360 family at different points was more powerful in every way and got the same mileage however it cost 2,000 more than the i6. Of course I expect poor mileage from a heavy body-on-frame suv but my issue was why spend a ton of money developing an I6 when the v8 was better in every way and much more venerable then to mothball the I6 after only 8 years.

i looked into trailblazers just way to much money. even for a 10 year old one. i think the 96-98 grand cherokee is what I'm going to get. much lighter then the blazer the solid i6 engine and its cheaper then the cherokees. i like the interior better too and the hatch that has a rear opening window.

Well, I hadn't thought about budget so good point. The Trailblazers are cheap but obviously not as cheap as the vehicle they replaced. In MN I rarely see even a 10 year old vehicle and when I do they are usually rusted well beyond what I'd be interested in and so my mindset out of practicality can't go that far back.