Rydlyme flush questions

wild.coast

Cadet
Trying to get a new to me motor up to snuff with maintenance. Got a sense that the previous owner might not have been doing much in the way of post-use water flushes so wanted to get the cooling system cleaned up.

Got some Rydlyme and set up a flush cycle using a sump pump. 1:1 mix of water and Rydlyme. Solution started foaming, which apparently should be expected. However, after 2hrs it was STILL foaming...

1663612579291.png

At 2.5hrs... still foaming:
1663612606841.png

Apparently, according to Rydlyme instructions you know the lyme and contaminantes are cleaned out when the foaming stops. However, in my case after 2.5hrs it was still foaming lots so I did just turn it off.

I also noticed after the bucket sat for a bit that the solution turned red/pink!
1663612678652.png

Curious about others' experience with Rydlyme, is what I'm seeing expected? Any ideas about the red color??

Max

topgun3690

Ensign
Had thought about doing something similar on mine but was worried about damage to seals and gaskets....so I never did it. Might not hurt anything, IDK.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
"Some adverse reactions may occur with some aluminum alloys, magnesium, zinc and/or other sacrificial/inferior metallurgy."

Some Yamaha's have zinc anodes in the cooling circuit. Did you check to make sure they where removed is so equipped?

item#18

1663618630529.png

Last edited:

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
"Some adverse reactions may occur with some aluminum alloys, magnesium, zinc and/or other sacrificial/inferior metallurgy."

Some Yamaha's have zinc anodes in the cooling circuit. Did you check to make sure they where removed is so equipped?

item#18

View attachment 370554
Good point. I saw one bolted to the inside of a thermostat cover once. If that was the case it would fiz until the zink was gone.

Gaskets and seals should not be affected.

topgun3690

Ensign
"Gaskets and seals should not be affected." Good to know....then I was wondering about the cast aluminum parts of the PH....especially on older motors....would it fizz away like an alka-seltzer (inferior metallurgy) ?

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Can you run fresh water thru it then try the magic potion again? After you check the zincs.

wild.coast

Cadet
Interestingly enough, the engine block anodes were indeed very corroded after the flush!
There are actually 5. One at the bottom near the engine oil filter and 4 adjacent to each spark plug. I checked them before the flush and they were barely corroded, and after the flush they looked like this:
1663622428903.png

Going to replace the anod bolts with anodes removed and try the flush again and see what happens!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
inferior metallurgy) ?
No such thing…..a CYA statement

A ladle (elemental) analyst done on every heat to confirm adherence to the alloy specification of which there are literally 1,000s.

I’ve seen ladle analyst with abnormalities or omissions, which were found during downstream processing, but certainly nothing goes out the door w/o supporting quality documentation and certification on a per plate or coil basis.

topgun3690

Ensign
"CYA"....got it, thanks.
No such thing…..a CYA statement

A ladle (elemental) analyst done on every heat to confirm adherence to the alloy specification of which there are literally 1,000s.

I’ve seen ladle analyst with abnormalities or omissions, which were found during downstream processing, but certainly nothing goes out the door w/o supporting quality documentation and certification on a per plate or coil basis.
"CYA".....got it, thanks.....