rusty little gas tank

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an old Sears 7hp motor with an air-cooled Tecumseh (lawnmower type) powerhead. The steel gas tank is moderately rusty on the inside and even though I have flushed it out several times I still get lots of little flaky particles that clog the fuel line and fuel filter that I installed. I have 2 questions: 1. Is there anything I can flush this tank with that will loosen this stuff up so it can be flushed out? 2. When you add the fuel mixture to a rusty tank does the rusting continue or is is it stopped by the oily gas? Would appreciate any advice.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: rusty little gas tank

Go to WalMart and get a plastic tank. They're < $20.

coot10185

Recruit

I had the same problem, and I agree with the previous response GO GET SOME PLASTIC TANKS. They don't rust.

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replys guys. Unfortunately this is a built-in tank that also acts as part of the cooling shroud for the powerhead, plus it is gravity feed. If I added a fuel pump, I could use a plastic tank. Not sure how to add a fuel pump to this engine. Great running little motor when it isn't crapping out due to clogged fuel filter. I may try to figure out how to add a small sediment bowl filter instead of the in-line type.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

I repaired a few tanks in this manner: I bought some fuel tank sealer specifically made for sealing gas tanks from JC Whitney Co. It's called U.S. Standard POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer. It's resistant to everything including alcohols. It seals pinholes and seams, locks in rust, and chemically bonds to the metal. If there's just light rust, you need by nothing else but the sealer (it says this on the can), but it can be a three-part system. If there is a lot of rust or varnish, then you should clean the tank. They suggest (on the can) using POR-15 Marine-Clean to clean the tank then POR-15 Metal-Ready (basically acid) to clean more rust. But you don't need the other two parts, just use the loose nuts method (lots of screws, nuts, bolts, etc. shaken real good around the tank to get the rust chunks out). Could use chain, too. I used a handfull of assorted hardware from a hardware can. If there's a lot of rust, no need to buy anything special, you can get a bottle of rust remover (acid, too) and pour that into your tank with some water, enough to cover well. Let that sit overnight. After you rinse out the tank, you must get it bone dry before the sealer goes in. You slosh the sealer around, covering all surfaces. Pour out the excess and save it for another project. It will air cure in 96 hours (4 days).<br />I used the POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer on an AC generator, two tractors, a lawn edger, and I'm about to use it on my boat's tank too.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, here in the states a person can buy the stuff that turns rust into a black (primer) surface. You could do that, THEN use the gas tank sealer. The tank sealer I'm talking about it absoulutely impervious to anything that could be in the fuel, including alcohol. There is more than one brand. You can also get some from a motorcycle shop. It's used in bikes a lot to seal their tanks.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

In the motorcycle shops, it's called Kreem. Works great, but the fumes are pretty intense when you use it. Lots of ventilation required!

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the good info guys. I'll run down to the bike shop and check this stuff out. Sounds like what I'm looking for. The tank doesn't leak (yet) and the amount of rust flakes in the fuel is getting less but I'd to put an end to this irritating problem.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fuel tank sealer will difinitely seal in any rust that doesn't come out after the nuts & bolts treatment. If you don't want to use the stuff that turns rust into a black (primer) surface, pour in some cheap Home Depot rust remover and a little water enough to cover the rusted areas. Let that sit overnight, drain, rinse, dry thoroughly BONE dry, then seal.