Running the Transducer cable on an I/O boat

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
2001 Sea Ray Sundeck 210. I bought a new GPS and it comes with a transducer. Though I do not fish, I thought it would be interested to see whats below the boat. I plan on getting marine adhesive and sticking a piece of Aztek board to the back and mounting with screws the transducer to that glued on board (Do not want to drill holes into my hull). I will, however need to drill one hole to run the cable into the engine compartment and I wanted to gather opinions on where to drill the hole. Here is a picture of the back of my boat; I was thinking of drilling it as high as possible in that cut out for the I/O; There is a bilge pump discharge there and I might try to put it near there. Thoughts?

Attachments

• photo327618.jpg
    photo327618.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
As AllDodge stated, drill the hole, run the cable, seal the hole well, and put a clamshell over the hole.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Xducer cable.jpg
Clampshell.jpg
Buy them from any decent marine shop.

Chris......

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would opt for shoot thru installation given the hull configuration.

A little more complicated install but no mounting plate and big hole (3/4” or larger) in the back of the boat

alldodge

Staff member
Could also mount inside against the hull, RTV it. The sonar will shoot thru the hull, and may have to find the right spot. Most the new transducers also are temp sensing, so the temp reading will be off

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Could also mount inside against the hull, RTV it. The sonar will shoot thru the hull, and may have to find the right spot. Most the new transducers also are temp sensing, so the temp reading will be off

I split mine. Depth xducer is in a wet box just in front of the engine, temp sensor and paddle-wheel for speed are screwed to the outside.

Chris......

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Could also mount inside against the hull, RTV it.
RTV (silicon) has horrible acoustic transmission properties.

You need something that will resonant the signal back to the transducer with the least amount of distortion / frequency shift.

A good 30 minute marine epoxy is the materiel of choice.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks all! Question, If I don't care about temp or speed, I can install it inside the engine bay? I will still get an accurate sonar (including side to side) reading? That is interesting, hadn't thought of that.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
OK, thanks, I will mount it outside then, no biggie...
There are fairly strict guidelines as to where and how a SV transducer can be located relative to the outdrive.

Getting good readings is going to be tough given the shape of the hull

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
There are fairly strict guidelines as to where and how a SV transducer can be located relative to the outdrive.

Getting good readings is going to be tough given the shape of the hull

OK, thanks for the information. Any advice on where to install it? farther away from the Outdrive?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
OK, thanks for the information. Any advice on where to install it? farther away from the Outdrive?
The transducer shoots signals out both sides of the transducer. Therefore, you have to position the transducer such that the beam can pass between the out drive and the transom. I want to say you have to stay within 15" of the center of the boat, but I could be wrong.

No mention of this issue in the installation docs. I had "shadowing", for lack of a better word, in side scan mode. Called tech support to troubleshoot. This is when they brought up the geometry of the side scan transducer and the lower unit. Moved the transducer closer to center line (~14") and everything is good.

I still get some shadowing if I widen the viewing angle too much which tells me I should have moved a bit closer to the drive. I would have gone closer but a second, thru hull transducer is mounted in front of that location. Would have caused too much turbulence in that area.

It can be tough finding a suitable location in hulls like yours. Might consider calling your boat's manufacturer to see if they can recommend a spot

Transducer installation instructions
https://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/S...llation_EN.pdf