Running OMC Stringer drives on a hose

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer
There seems to have been several questions lately asking about how to run water to a Stringer drive while on the trailer. Here's a couple of pics to help those poor bast......er.....'vintage drive owners'. :D

The water pickup on the stringer drives is above the prop on the underside of the cavitation plate with a SS screen:

im000023.jpg

As you can see, muffs won't work with these drives. There was a hose/flush adapter available that allowed you to connect a garden hose directly to the drive for running/flushing while out of the water. It is a pivot cap with a garden hose fitting pressed into it as seen in these pics:

im000021.jpg

im000022.jpg

You just remove the cap and use a female-to-female garden hose adapter to connect your hose to the drive. If you don't have this adapter on your drive, you will need to find a bucket/drum deep enough to fill with enough water to cover the cavitation plate and keep the hose running into the bucket.

Hope this is useful to someone out there.

WHITE (anchor) POWER! :D

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Running OMC Stringer drives on a hose

To add to this gallery, below are pictures from a stringer (mine) that shows a slightly different water pickup. This particular pickup has a spot to place a 1/2" water hose. This water pickup is now white in color.

100_7420.jpg

100_7421.jpg

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

To add to this gallery, below are pictures from a stringer (mine) that shows a slightly different water pickup. This particular pickup has a spot to place a 1/2" water hose. This water pickup is now white in color.

In addition, I have added the adapter to my drive that RW Redneck mentions in his post.

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On my OMC Stringer (1978 HydroMechanical Shift 400) I believe the water pickups are in front of the propeller between the cavitation plate and the bullet, similar to a mercruiser Alpha 1..
Will the muffs not work on this model of OMC?

Thanks,

-Ryan

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

It had been suggested to me, even if you have and use the hose adapter on the pivot cap, that placing a cut down garbage can or something similar in NWR's post, under the dive and above the cav plate is a good practice. I figure it can't hurt anything.

WizeOne

Commander

It had been suggested to me, even if you have and use the hose adapter on the pivot cap, that placing a cut down garbage can or something similar in NWR's post, under the dive and above the cav plate is a good practice. I figure it can't hurt anything.

Can't hurt but IMHO it is certainly a waste of time and effort. The pivot cap supply point gives more than ample water both down into the impeller and up to the engine. In fact, you don't even need to turn the hose on very hard.

WizeOne

Commander

On my OMC Stringer (1978 HydroMechanical Shift 400) I believe the water pickups are in front of the propeller between the cavitation plate and the bullet, similar to a mercruiser Alpha 1..
Will the muffs not work on this model of OMC?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Perfectly well Ryan. They are just more of a PITA compared to the pivot cap connection.