running lean? carb adjustment?

lowshovel1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: running lean? carb adjustment?

may be picking up your leak at intake to heads,try testing there.3 turns sounds a bit rich on carb try 1/2 that.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

lowshovel.. thanks for the feedback.. mercruiser manual says 2-3.. i was sooo lean before with low fuel pressure might be shooting a bit too rich now..<br /><br />i think ill try to isolate that vacuum leak again.. i didnt have any luck last time around.. will focus on intake to heads like you suggest..<br /><br />thanks<br />Rob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I still cant get in there and adjust the mixture with the carb on and engine running.. i bought that flexi thing.. it just doesnt fit.. so I pulled off the carb and set them both at 3 turns
You can't even come close to adjusting a carb like that, and if you didn't replace the carb base gasket each time, then you probably caused more problems than you cured.<br />Things mechanical have to be done in the proper order and set to the proper specs to get right outputs from the engine.<br />If you don't do all the steps and do them in the proper order, you will be fighting your problem forever.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don,<br /><br />dont mean to misrepresent things here..<br /><br />my only goal for the day was pinpointing my low fuel situation.. which appears to be the anti syphon valve.. <br /><br />i am fully aware that you cant even come close to adjusting a carb that way.. <br /><br />and yes i am full aware that i should get a new gasket.. <br /><br />i am taking this one step at a time..<br /><br />thanks thou..

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh.. and i didnt pull the carb off just to do the adjustment.. thou i can see how that reads now that i look back.. <br /><br />i pulled it off because the taps the rebuild guys put in the manifold were stripped.. <br /><br />so part of my one step at a time was to fix the stripped taps situation.. and yes while i had the carb off i did set the screws within the mercruiser specs.. so the stripped tabs situation is fixed.. and now yes i will get a new anti-syphon valve and a new gasket..<br /><br />the current gasket did not appear to have anything sealing it to the intake manifold.. should there have been some sort of gasket seal applied before putting the gasket on? it came off perfectly clean.. <br /><br />learning as I go hear.. <br /><br />thanks