Running costs for a 35 footer

Blake01

Recruit
Hi again.....I wonder if anyone can help with the running costs (estimated) and fuel consumptions for a 35 foot cruiser similar to made from plywood and Dynel coated with all up weight of about 6 tons. My mate and I are thinking of buying the vessel from a bloke who reckons it uses about 26 litres of diesel at 12 knots per hour in calm to medium seas and just steady cruising. Fuel costs in Australia are $A 1.00 per litre at present for marine diesel.....what's the American cost currently????<br /><br />thanks ....BLAKE01 :)

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Running costs for a 35 footer

sounds like 1.5 miles per gallon, or a buck a mile here in america ... if yer clever you can get an old heating oil tank and mount it in a pickup, pay much less for heating oil ... which is what gypsies use in their diesel tractor trailers<br /><br />Illegal for road use, but ummm, why pay road taxes on fuel meant for a boat?<br /><br />(this should get a few posts going, lol)

ZmOz

Captain

Heating oil is the same as diesel? Anybody know any creative ways of getting gasoline for your boat without paying all those **** road taxes? :D

ndemge

Commander

ZmOz... Buy your gas at a station close to water or boatramp... <br /><br />Here in MO... gas stations that cater to boaters have tax forms (has to have their name on it).. they fill it out when you get gas.. when you do taxes at the end of the year, you get the road tax back... can't just have receipts .. has to be the form...

ZmOz

Captain

The only stations around here that cater to boaters are the ones on the water...no taxes but they charge $3 a gallon to make up for it... :D :rolleyes:

mattttt25

Commander

several states give you the money back. deleware has you just send in the receipts each year and you get up to a certain amount back. fun.

Blake01

Recruit

Thanks for the suggestions you guys re using heating oil etc ....however I should have asked the question....."what do you think of this fuel consumption figure for a 35 footer and how do others with similar boats compare".<br />Any offers??<br /><br />Blake01

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

My experience of 10 years with a 35 footer was 10gph at optimum cruise (16knots). <br /><br />Hope that helps!

Link

Rear Admiral

I hope this helps out a little. We were visiting<br />a friend who deals in larger boats and he was<br />Showing us two similar 38 footers the one with<br />twin gas engines burned 18 gallons an hour and<br />the one with twin diesels burned 8 gallons a<br />hour. They were both about ten years old with<br />fly bridges etc<br /><br />Link