Running 5.7 without choke on quadrajet?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yes. It might be a bit more difficult to keep running right after start up, but copious amounts of Priming prior to starting, will help. but expect a few stalls

Well, you were right on the money. I did have to adjust idle and air mix but she ran great after that!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Was your auto choke not opening?
Here I would keep the choke for reliable starts in cooler weather but yes you can run a Q jet with no choke.
These old style divorced chokes seldom need anything more than a good cleaning of the choke valve and shaft and choke linkage. After many years you MAY have to replace the thermostatic spring.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yes. Loads of us do this here in Scotland locally. Most in my marina have had them jammed full off, just with the hassle they can cause. Just need to pump the throttle a good few times to start and catch her as she fires. Let her warm up at a slightly high idle for a minute or so.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Yes. Loads of us do this here in Scotland locally. Most in my marina have had them jammed full off, just with the hassle they can cause. Just need to pump the throttle a good few times to start and catch her as she fires. Let her warm up at a slightly high idle for a minute or so.

Gee, that's kind how my engine starts, without having to do any pumping of the Throttle, just move it enough, to set the Choke and Fast Idle Cam. After 20 seconds, reduce idle speed, and you are goods to go. Just stay below 2000 till the Engine Temp comes up.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Gee, that's kind how my engine starts, without having to do any pumping of the Throttle, just move it enough, to set the Choke and Fast Idle Cam. After 20 seconds, reduce idle speed, and you are goods to go. Just stay below 2000 till the Engine Temp comes up.
Standard procedure with these things, I’d say. Most of them stick half way or anything in between I’d think. Famous for it

Was your auto choke not opening?
Here I would keep the choke for reliable starts in cooler weather but yes you can run a Q jet with no choke.
These old style divorced chokes seldom need anything more than a good cleaning of the choke valve and shaft and choke linkage. After many years you MAY have to replace the thermostatic spring.
No, it is just really difficult to get it reinstalled. I did it first time, but this time I was just over it. Today, a push on the start button and she fired right up and ran great without it. I will definitely keep it nearby though, thanks Lou!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
My 4.3L Mercruiser is real difficult to start without the choke, even in scorching hot weather.

My choke was out of adjustment. It wasn't closing and it was a real problem starting. It was a real stress for the starting battery.
Adjusted it and now it fires right up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I havent had a choke on the boat for two years. then again, the temperature is between 75 and 95 all year round except for a few non-boating days.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’ve never had a problem with the ancient divorced choke on my QJet. Just like my ‘72 Chevy!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
GM autochokes were always, at least the ones on my Buicks, Olds, and Cadillacs, reliable. The Old Man, had a Dodge, and it would start fine when cold, and would drive away, but as you came to the first Stop Sign, it would stall, and he could grind on the Starter all Day, foot to the Floor, and no Joy. So reach into the Glove Box to retrieve Choke unloader , pop the Hood, remove Air Cleaner Lid, and drop Specialty Tool(Screwdriver) between Air Horn and Choke Plate. Everybody we knew who had a Chrysler product, kept a Screwdriver handy.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I havent had a choke on the boat for two years. then again, the temperature is between 75 and 95 all year round except for a few non-boating days.
Is it hard to start?

Like said, my 4.3 would crank and crank and crank before it would fire up. This was in the hot summer heat.

In fact, It was so bad that it would sometimes trip the 100 amp breaker I have mounted on the battery.

The choke plate wasn't closing. I adjusted it and now it fires up immediately.

That was my engine. I would guess they all act differently considering how several people said their choke has been disconnected or not functioning without any problems.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
pop the Hood, remove Air Cleaner Lid, and drop Specialty Tool(Screwdriver) between Air Horn and Choke Plate. Everybody we knew who had a Chrysler product, kept a Screwdriver handy.
That story reminded me of my first car, a 1969 Pontiac Tempest.
It wasn't the choke that gave me problems, it was the shifter for the "3 on the tree". It was a standard transmission with the column shifter (3 on the tree).
The linkage would jamb up. I had to get out, open the hood and giggle the linkage that was on the firewall.
That was fun at a stop light, especially on a steep hill!
Fun times!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Is it hard to start?
No.

Pump throttle once, set to 1/4 throttle, turn key and it's running. Back RPM to 1000. Wait 2 minutes go boating.

The Holley HP850 carb I am running never had a choke horn or provision for one

Then again I grew up running Holley carbs without chokes in Wisconsin.