Run to Bimini

studlymandingo

Commander
Anyone made the trip to Bimini from Florida?<br /><br />I'm considering making the run and was just wondering if anyone here has done it, how long it takes, etc. I can cruise at 35-40.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: Run to Bimini

Trailer Boats Magazine did an article called "bimini fling" a few years ago. Try looking for that. <br /><br />They said there are organzied groups of boaters you can hook with and make the passage.<br /><br />They also had info on the legalities. You need some kind of port pass to stay overnight.

studlymandingo

Commander

Thanks for the info. That will be a good starting place, thinking of making the trip in a month or two.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I would love to do that some year. It really sounded like a lot of fun.

BillP

Captain

Depends on where you leave from but it's about 50 miles from Fowey Rocks at Key Biscayne. Speed is relative to sea conditions. You won't avg 40 mph in a small boat unless the seas are really calm. Check the NOAA web for sea bouy info that gives offshore conditions before crossing. On any calm weekend day there are plenty of small outboards doing the crossing. No big deal once you've done it.<br /><br />Seach the site. They have a dial a bouy program where you can get the info from a phone.<br /><br /> http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=FWYF1 <br /><br /> http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/Florida.shtml

studlymandingo

Commander

Thanks Bill. I think I will definitely do the run this year. May be a good iboats group trip.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I crossed from Haulover with a fleet of small fishermen and a big charterboat as shepherd and pathfinder twice. Once in my '66 Boston Whaler Sakonnet 16 and once in my '83 Boston Whaler Outrage 18. <br /><br />Took about 5 hours each way the first time, 5 hours out and 9 hours back the second time (a Scout with twins lost one engine). In those days no paperwork was required, but we all carried weapons aboard to repel pirates that were a scourge in the Bahamas. We didn't see any pirates. :) <br /><br />I don't think I would try it in anything under 20' that wasn't a Boston Whaler.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I've heard that run is regularly made several times a year on jet skis. It’s done much the way JB described, making the crossing in groups with a couple of larger vessels for safety purposes. Seems to me there is a certain time of year when the winds die down and the water lays flatter than normal.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BillP: Thanks for the NOAA sites. Added them to the favorites. Probably the same weather info as from others, but the furthur out I go from my home port the more info I like to have.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Log Entry -- FL to Bimini in 18' boat <br /><br />
biminitrack.jpg

studlymandingo

Commander

All of the info here is great. RubberFrog, I found the article in the TrailerBoating Mag. That was pretty informative. JB, why a Whaler only? Because of the floatation, or because of personal preference?

studlymandingo

Commander

All of the info here is great. RubberFrog, I found the article in the TrailerBoating Mag. That was pretty informative. JB, why a Whaler only? Because of the floatation, or because of personal preference?

JB

On the first trip I buried the bow of my 16 in green water, studley. My fuel tanks were afloat and I had water halfway up my shins. I stood her up and dumped most of the water over the transom, then pulled the plug and drove her dry.<br /><br />There may be other boats that can do that, but I haven't seen one.<br /><br />But, yes. Personal preference would be a lot of it. Personal preference based on personal experience. :)

studlymandingo

Commander

Gotcha JB! I understand you have a new whaler; so when do you want to go to Bimini??!!

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

A run to Bimini would be the ultimate iboats get together!

JB

My "new" Whaler is a Striper 15, studley. It is a sit down boat and I am 25 years older than I was when I took the Sakonnet to Bimini.<br /><br />I think I will pass. :)

BillP

Captain

The amount of discomfort you can tolerate is how small the boat can be. My last run to and from the Abacos was from Ft.Pierce to Marsh Harbor. Seas were so smooth a 10' john boat could have done it. If you are willing to travel at trolling speeds it can be done in rough conditions in a 17' skiff.<br /><br />Most of the 18' center console boats built today will shed green water the same way as a BW...or better. The ones with euro transoms do it best. I did it in a 20' SeaRay Laguna...stuffed the bow in an inlet with green water shin high in the cockpit. It ran out the euro transom quickly without pulling plugs. So little water got down below through hatch cracks it wasn't a consideration. That's why I always run with the transom doors open when doing rough inlets.

studlymandingo

Commander

I went diving about 22 miles offshore this weekend. It was pretty windy so the swells were pretty high. Boat handled it pretty well, and it doesn't really bother me. I am going to plan to make the run later this year. Love to get an iboats trip together.

JB

Nice to know, BillP. <br /><br />As ugly as I think those Euro-transoms are it is good to know they have a practical side. :)