rude boat dealers in my area

envy83

Seaman
Re: rude boat dealers in my area

In my area, that's all there is. The big place in town is the absolute worst, but for a lot of things you don't have a choice. But the best is their service department. I recently (mostly) put on a new-to-me 150 hp outboard. And while I got all the mechanical stuff put together, I was lost on the electrical. I call them up and tell them I want to bring it in to have them wire it up. The guy tells me any idiot can wire boats and I must be a real dumbf***, he thens puts me on speakerphone so the guys in the shop can tell me what an idiot I am.<br />Well now I'm all psyched to do it myself, but I was amazed. NO other business in the world would ever pull that with a prospective customer, but for the marine industry it seems to be par for the course.

Ralph 123

Captain

The more I think about and the more I hear these stories the more I am convinced that they simply do not want DIYers business. They must figure they are to difficult and too expensive to serve. They don't care when you walk out, in fact, that's exactly they want.<br /><br />As for future sales, they must figure any guy doing it himself has no money to buy a new boat and/or would be a pain of a customer.<br /><br />There will be exceptions, no doubt, but I bet it's the general concensus.<br /><br />The funny thing is, they may be right. After all, the don't seem to be going under...

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow.....I thought things were tough here, as we have only a few dealers to choose from. My experiance was the opposite though...I bought a boat (privately) and then wandered into Rond's Marine (on the opposite side of the city) with a perplexed look on my face since I didn't even know what I needed to get the boat underway. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful and made numerous suggestions (polite ones!!) about what I needed and even how to do some of the work. I left spending only $60; thats insignificant to them but tough to part with for me and I gained new respect for the dealership (and they gained a happy customer...look at me blither on about them!)....However except for a short wait while they cleared out customers who want to pay for something they spent their non-productive time educating me about my o/b.................so it isn't everywhere, keep looking and you'll find a decent dealer.<br /><br />Tim

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

Here on long island most of the boat dealer have the same sh-- attitude I was in the market for a new boat so I took a chance and went out of state to va. The service was great the deal was super and the workers there could not do enough for you and I am very happy with the boat.<br />The marina name <br />ED'S SUPER STORE IN ASLAND VA<br />2003 180 CC SEA PRO <br />2003 90 HP YAMAHA<br />2003 VENTURE TRAILER $13,900.00 :) :)

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is not an advertisement at all and I have no affiliation, just a personal reference for those of you in the NE area. If you are around Rhode Island, go to Don's Marine in Tiverton. Absolute professional and courteous attitude/help, whether you're there for a couple gaskets or some big stuff. I even purchased some lower end oil once along with some other things and the salesman says "you need these too" and throws in the drain and vent plug O-rings for free. BTW, the prices totally shoot West marine and all other competitors in the area to shame. Again, I'm not affiliated in any way, just think that good people deserve some praise.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Temperments at dealers run with the seasons. Around these parts (New England)...they love you in January and February at the boat shows, in March and April they'll give you right time of day and schedule repairs, completing them before Memorial day. They're only rude in May, June and July when 15 hour work days make them irritable. By the time August rolls around they're friendly and want to take you out for a test drive and hope you'll be willing to help unload their leftovers. They just can't wait to winterize the early withdrawals in September, then complain everyone wants theirs done in October. In November they've gone south for a vacation, and in December they're your friend again...you can tell when you get their Christmas card inviting you to the boat show as a valued customer.

RetNav

The trend seems to be nationwide. Here in Valdosta the three local dealers are to busy to help on small purchases. As an example, one of the local dealers just completed rebuild of powerhead, crank and rods were reused as they were good, the total cost was close to $5000. The "mech" spent two days trying to figure out the firing problem after he got it together, random miss on different cylinders, only to fix it by putting in new battery. Of course I was charged labor for those two days of scratching his a.. and trying to fix it by ching out parts. I now drive to Thomasville, about 45 miles, to get answers and parts from a one man shop that is people friendly and reasonable. Does not get impatient, rude, and is always helpful with your problems. If you need something and are close go to Bellamy Boats, He will help any way he can. :D

ethelwright

Seaman Apprentice

I am a new boater and a woman so one could say I am ripe for the plucking but I am lucky to deal with a wonderful dealership. I recently bought a Grew FG with an 80 hp Merc to start my boating dream . I was having problems with it and it was diagnosed with a bad switchbox so it was changed . Took the boat out and it still did not run properly . I took it to Norm's yachts and they took it out for 1.5 hours and tested it at no charge . It turns out I was trimming too far in and the exhaust relief holes were below the waterline . They gave me detailed instructions on how to run it properly and both the mechanic and the parts lady called me at work to explain what I was doing wrong.They have all been super to me , teaching me what I need to know . It is the happiest place to work , the employees are always polite , friendly and helpful .They tease eachother , joke around and laugh.Just like the Nissan dealer here , the service has been exemplary so my 4x4 goes to Nissan and my beautiful boat goes to Norm's yachts.

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

The funny thing is, these people spend[ collectively] many millions of dollars on advertising- and then proceed to wipe it all out by two bit attitudes.Word of mouth is the best advertising and it works extremely well- either way, good or bad.One guy tels another,if he ahs got a good deal, or a bad deal.The other guy is is apt to put way more stock in his buddies experiance than a full page ad.Too bad these guys don't figure it out.However, the silver lining is for the good guys, as stated here, people will go miles out of their way to do business with them.Bad dealers are good dealers best friend.It takes years to build a good reputation and minutes to distroy it.

Ralph 123

Captain

johnnybigrigger - I hope I did not insult you that was not my intention. I am just trying to figure out why things are the way they are. It is in my nature especially when it comes to business matters - I spent too long as a management consultant and engineer and now I'm messed up for life :p I too am a DIYer so we are in the same boat (pardon the pun).<br /><br />See, there seems to be a common theme: local big dealership won't give you the time of day, drive outside the area to small shop and they are great. The only expliation I can come up with is the one I've postulated. Now, given that, maybe some people will save time, energy and frustration and drive straight to the small shop or buy on-line to begin with or they can be prepared to deal with the big shop by looking more like the kind of customer they want.

Ralph 123

Captain

bomar76 - here is why I think he asked you those questions and what he was really asking:<br /><br />1.Did I buy the boat there? <br /><br />Are you a past customer I have made money with? should I treat you good based on past business?<br /><br />2.Where did I buy it?<br /><br />Do you buy new boats? Do you have the potential of being a customer for a new boat someday soon?<br /><br />3.What make? <br /><br />Do you have money? Do you have a nice boat? Will you be a boat buyer someday?<br /><br />4.Wanted every sn# on the boat so he could "look it up" <br /><br />I don;t want you as a customer based on answers to questions 1 - 3.<br /><br />5.Then factor in him stopping to answer phone to talk to wife, waiting on 2 other customers that came in AFTER me, repeating the above idiotic question, lecturing me on "no returns if it's wrong" ...ad nauseum<br /><br />I Really don't want your business. Please don't come back

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live in a small town in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. We have a boat shop here called Ken's Marine, They are just about the most rude people I have ever met. See they are the only shop for some twenty miles around these parts. Most of the people here are on an average of 60 to 70 years old. Not that there is a problem with that. Its just known By Ken that they are not going to drive twenty miles to shop elsewere. The moment he has to get off his rearend to come help you, It pisses him off. All he wants to do is sit on his computer all day and play games. He works the parts counter and nobody else. There will be ten people standing around, and plenty of other employees around to help. But he insist on talking to each and everyone of them so he can insult there intellegence. I dont know how these people stay around in business?<br />All it would take is to open a shop near him and treat your customers with respect...and he would be out of business in no time.<br /><br />Suzki40

DBenja4148

Cadet

Boy! Can I identify with you and some of your readers. I bought a Chaparral 260 Cruiser back in April (brand new) and mind you Chapparral builds one nice boat however during the next two months were a nightmare. As soon as I made the payment service from the dealership stopped cold turkey. They rushed the commissioning of the boat, missed a number of things that should have been checked including no power steering fluid and when we picked up the boat to take it to our marina took only 10 minutes to go over the engine and boat itself. We had batteries go dead twice in the first month, etc. Everytime I'd call their service dept. I would get the same old sob story that its spring and we are backed up trying to get everybody's boat out. Next time I buy a boat I will be holding retainage for the month so they take notice. Overall, things are now alot better. The boat is great and the Volvo engine is excellent but Chaparral needs to address their dealerships for this type of problem.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I visited a local marina a few miles from home for the first time a couple weeks ago. The parts department was like a warehouse, the floor-to-ceiling shelves stuffed with everything you can imagine. I was like a kid in a candy store. The counter guy was chatting with a customer he obviously knew. I collected two or three things that came to about $15 then went to check out. The guy was real friendly, even asking me if I needed more time to look around because he didn’t want to rush me, asked me if I found everything I needed. He even spent several minutes finding the price of a couple-dollar item for me that didn’t have a price tag, the whole time remaining friendly and cheerful.<br /><br />This is a lot different from a lot of the stories here, but I’ll tell you that this guy has snagged himself a repeat customer because he treated me like a king on a penny-ante sale. Too bad more retailers don’t take a lesson from him, because we’ve all been on the receiving end of the other kind!

D

DJ

I agree that many of the people in boat dealerships have the personality of a troll.<br /><br />Yet, we need to put some of the blame on ourselves. Especially, the seasonal mood swings.<br /><br />Many people do not do a bit of maintenance on their boats either to winterize or get ready for summer. Yet, when it doesn't work (tried the night before) it's someone elses fault and I need it fixed YESTERDAY. And, I going to chew some #$# until I get satisfaction.<br /><br />Sometimes, it works both ways. You reap, what you sow.

Northern Eclipse

This post is getting lots of attention ralph and rodbolt your opinions are bang on, But I must say that I' have dealt with some bad outfits, as a matter of fact one such place just closed its doors for good last week, Finally ran out of customers I guess, But I would also like to mention the 2 dealers/parts /service places I do use are both top notch service with a smile and always give me the lastest tech news, Because they know I'm a DIYer and I will buy my parts from them and if I get into a real big mess then I will spend my money in there shop, The one Tech who happens to be the Only Fountain Boat Dealer up here, actually gave me about an hour of his free time and gave me some good pointers about installing my thru hull exhaust, When I offered him to cut the holes out of the transom, He told me how to do it, and since they have seen other work I'v done he was sure I could, therefore I did, and needless to there are still some good guys out there .I know these Guys value their customers, They always seem to remember my name, and my boat, and I am not a big dollar customer but I am a customer and I always recommend them when asked by fellow boaters you have had enough being ripped off and diss'd.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

On that note I do have to say that I have had work done by The Prop Shop @ Indian Lake Ohio and Grant (owner) and Chad (mechanic) are super! They always remember me and give me top notch service.<br />Kind of a Mom and Pop type place but they are great.