Rub Rail Restoration??

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you pull all the rub rail off the boat, do you run the risk of the cap popping loose from the hull while working on it? In my profile pic you can see the boat with the hardtop but I have removed literally everything from the deck including the windows and both levels of the hardtop. So, there is no real weight on the deck except its own weight. Is there a way to secure the cap until the rail goes back on? It doesn't look like there are any rivets underneath the aluminum rail to just hold the cap to the hull.

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to say for sure with your boat, but in all cases I've seen, there are a small amount of rivets under the rail. The cap is lapped over the bottom so it shouldn't pop off it there were none

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks, I think I will pull off one section to see and if it isn't riveted underneath then I will put in a few rivets to hold it with the rub rail off...

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
1 additional idea...
I didn't see anyone list this 1.
rather than the 4' piece across the transom.
now I also have heard allow extra for shrinkage with time..
But you could do 2 pieces with the break at center of bow and center of transom, so 2 pieces 28'
just another way.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I pulled to rub rail off this weekend and there are screws holding the cap on.. So, after pulling the first section I went ahead and pulled it all off.. Now just have to decide on paint, powder coat or replace it...

Thanks for the note on the breaks.. I would have to figure out a cap over the bow splice....

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
1 additional idea...
I didn't see anyone list this 1.
rather than the 4' piece across the transom.
now I also have heard allow extra for shrinkage with time..
But you could do 2 pieces with the break at center of bow and center of transom, so 2 pieces 28'
just another way.
Sorry,
My math was off, I don't know what I was thinking.
for 52' it would be 26' not 28 and the sweet spot for extra would be 27'x2 now I'm rambling.
I realize its a podge together or border line "hack job"

Seems someone should sell the uncut full length you need.
you are not the only person needing +50'

But in addition, I never did really find rub rail I needed for a previous project.
It was slim pickings.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm sure they make 50 foot but it would go to manufactures that need a lot of it. No way to ship just one piece. Look for boat or other kinds of manufactures that would use aluminum/stainless extrusions in your area. Might be able to buy one from them, but then the problem would be how to get it home

There are house boat manufactures within distance near me, maybe there are something similar within distance near you