Routing Transducer cable

ronatim

Cadet
Hi all,

just bought a Lowrance x135 finder and planning the wiring layout at the transom.

Does anyone know how far away from the engine wiring that the transducer cable need to be to avoid interference? I have a Lund rebel freshwater boat and it doesn't have much option when it comes to wiring..

Also can i wire the power cable for the x135 along the same path of the rest of the boat wiring or does it need to be away from them also?

thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Routing Transducer cable

You will get all sorts of comments about interference but how you run the wiring depends on what type of boat you have. If this is a side console you get power for the locator at the console fuse panel. If its a tiller steered boat you can wire directly to the battery. The transducer cable can be routed down the starboard side of the boat and generally the cable is shielded so it doesn't matter if it runs with engine wiring. Besides, the only interference causing wire in the engine harness is the kill switch and it has low voltage pulses on it which will not bother anything. Be more concerned about where you mount the transducer so it doesn't get any air bubbles in the water stream and as far away from the prop as possible.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You will probably be ok running it along existing wiring.

As far as the power is concerned, if you aren't just hooking it up at the helm, you can run a twisted pair pack to the battery and hook it up there through a fuse. Chuck two wires into a drill and have a helper hold the opposite two ends. Run the drill until you get a nice twisted pair.

Expidia

Commander

Ya, what they said already.

I have a Lund side console and ran the transducer wire along the same route as the cables that came pre-wired with the boat to a Hummingbird 797 with no interference. I used a few wire ties along the route to clip it to the existing wires.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Silvertip is correct about the transducer being shielded, so running the cable with the boats existing wiring, engine or boat systems, should pose you no problems.

As far as the transducer mounting itself, Airmar recommends at least 18" away from the keel on a single O/B boat on the starboard side. If installed with counter-rotating twins, mount along or as close as possible to the keel...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm running a 1kW sounder. The transducer cable is run inside the starboard rigging tube with most everything electric. The most common problemwith FF is feed back thru the power and ground cables.