Rough operation of timing advance rod or is this normal?

Captndrydock

Seaman
I was replacing a broken trigger control rod end piece this evening and while I had everything disconnected I noticed that the control rod for the timing advance wasn't particularly smooth in its operation. Is this normal?

See video below...

Attachments

• DSCN4072.MP4
    30.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Captndrydock

Seaman
It could probably use some lubrication on the parts that slide???
One of my favorites is Spray White Lithium Grease.
I use 4-5 cans a year.
Just shot some spray white lithium grease and it smoothed it out brilliantly! It did occur to me, but it felt so clunky that I thought nah. Thanks so much, I was about to remove the flywheel!

The Force power

Commander
Just shot some spray white lithium grease and it smoothed it out brilliantly! It did occur to me, but it felt so clunky that I thought nah. Thanks so much, I was about to remove the flywheel!
Just want to point out; it might be a good idea to secure the wiring so it does not get "rubbed" against by the moving trigger-assembly to avoid any wiring issues

Captndrydock

Seaman
Just want to point out; it might be a good idea to secure the wiring so it does not get "rubbed" against by the moving trigger-assembly to avoid any wiring issues
Yeah, I worked on that today for a while. Not much to work with though, as the wires are just pushed up and held by nothing. I did get it to where nothing is rubbing. Probably need to keep an eye on it, since it could slide down again. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Captndrydock

Seaman
tied straps work great
I did strap the wire to another to hold it up and hold it tighter. But that was a compromise because it began to rub at the end location. It's the travel around the stator/ base of the flywheel that needs support. I didn't see anything to tie it to. It seems to be fine at the moment, but with bumps and vibration, who knows?!

Last edited:

The Force power

Commander
I did strap the wire to another to hold it up and hold it tighter. But that was a compromise because it began to rub at the end location. It's the travel around the stator/ base of the flywheel that needs support. I didn't see anything to tie it to. It seems to be fine at the moment, but with bumps and vibration, who knows?!
You kinda have to manipulate the wires together in such a way that they are free floating where it can not be tied-off to something what help is having multiple wires twisted together and tied together

Captndrydock

Seaman
You kinda have to manipulate the wires together in such a way that they are free floating where it can not be tied-off to something what help is having multiple wires twisted together and tied together
Yeah, they seem to be holding in place well enough. Thanks for the tips!

Captndrydock

Seaman
I went ahead and dotted two spots with silicon to hold the wires, stuck a spark plug in there to wedge them up and it seems to be holding them nicely. Just a little extra assurance, since they're essentially just levitating there with no real support.