Rough guess on the amount of "sheeple" in the USA

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Guys, I read this article last week and it made me think.<br /><br /> http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_poll_062504,00.html <br /><br />"The CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll found that 54 percent of people say the war was a mistake, up from 41 percent who felt that way in early June. "<br /><br />Ok, that means 13% of the USA population changed from Iraq war "good idea" to "mistake" in one month.<br /><br />IMHO, only "sheeple" would be able to change their mind this quickly.<br /><br />What do yall think? Is 13% a good guess on the amount of "sheeple"? Sounds a little low to me.<br /><br />FYI... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sheeple <br /><br />Ken

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rough guess on the amount of "sheeple" in the USA

I don't consider myself a "sheeple". I carry a concealed weapon (legally), fought in Vietnam and believe in military strength. But I think that the war in Iraq is a mistake. You aren't going to defeat terrorism by fighting and geting our people killed in Iraq. I was in one of these useless wars that got 58,000 Americans killed and after all that we pulled out and let North Vietnam take over South Vietnam just as they would have if we hadn't gotten involved there. If there's an enemy to fight and they threaten America then by all means CRUSH them. However with this fiasco we've gotten in in Iraq we have the politicians and lawyers running it. Looks like another Vietnam to me. I don't like Kerry but I sure am unhappy with Bush. Maybe for the first time in my adult life I just won't vote.... I'm sad to say.

gaugeguy

Captain

Yabut did you change your mind since the first of june? Those are the sheeple.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For almost a hundred years most of the American public believed that brave "General" George Custer and his 260 troopers had been attacked and slaughtered by a horde of Cheyenne and Sioux warriors led by "Chief" Crazy Horse on June 26, 1876.<br /><br />That's the media version which created the myth.<br /><br />The truth? Lt. Col Custer disobeyed orders, ignored his intelligence and attacked a village of Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapaho, intending to capture the women and children as hostages. He was counterattacked by a horde of enraged warriors, including a warrior named Crazy Horse and his 5 companies were wiped out.<br /><br />Sheeple tend to believe whatever spin the media put on a news story.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

130 Sheeple, but thats assuming they voted in the previous vote and voted the other way<br /><br />Lie , damned lies and statistics <br /><br />P.S What the hells a sheeple?

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

I think maybe most people notice i said people, who turn down a wrong road don't realize it's a wrong road when they first turn off, they stay on it a while and begin to figure out as they travel along that it's the wrong road. Some start turning around right away, some travel on for a ways, but the further you go down the wrong road the more likey you are to realize you need to turn around, the sheeple may be the last to realize they've turned off the wrong road and wait till they see it's a dead end to turn around. IMHO.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The point is that within one month, 13% of the people changed their minds.<br /><br />What the heck happened in the last month that was different in the previous months. Nothing significant. Battles raged, people died, etc. But not one "major" event.<br /><br />The war is not new. Did they think that the war will be over in 6 months, then all US military will be back in the USA? Did they set a time limit, 12 months is fine, but 13 months is too long? (I dont know how long the war has been going on, I just threw out a number).<br /><br />So the "sheeple" changed their mind for no real reason at all, other than a whim, or what they saw on the TV that day.<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

The evening news has become a source of pop culture entertainment, Washington DC as well. <br /><br />There will always be people that are confused with reality because the media has so much power over us. Its difficult for even the most educated people to decifer truth from fiction if using only the media.<br /><br />The only way to make a sound political judgment or opinion is to educate ourselves with facts that we aquire from bonified sources. Unfortunately, with our busy lives, there is never enough time to do that so we rely on the media. Polls are a direct result of media spin.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

No Gaugeguy.. I was against the Iraq thing from the beginning. I think as long as there are religions who hate christians and other countries who hate/envy America that there are going to be terrorist action against us. We can't go around just wiping out everyone and everything. BTW, I see your globe and anchor avitar.. I was an FMF corpsman... Semper Fi.

SCO

Lieutenant

Knobby, maybe were on a wrong road, maybe not. Nobody knows at this point, and to turn back too early insures failure...turns it into the wrong road. WRT Vietnam, fortunately communist expansion has collapsed under its own weight, so our efforts in Vietnam seem to have made no difference. THings only got better after we left. Highlight "seem" because maybe the effort contributed to the eventual demise of the USSR, a lost battle in the cold war. If the radical muslim threat is not countered will it collapse on its own? Whats the overall problem over there anyway? Answer: disaffected people. Turning Iraq to a democracy solves that problem in that big hunk of territory...it empowers the people like we are empowered by giving them a better life. THe disaffected people problem is not solved by dictators, warlords, kingdoms.... The problem will continue unless we win this thing IMHO, just delayed to another even more dangerous day. What if the entire middle east becomes a large radical Iran of the radical islam variety? Then what? We deal/reason with them? We're infidels to them. Let them have 10 tomes the power and resources and they will be 10 times as dangerous to us. We didn't declare them the enemy, they declared us the enemy. Pulling out will not change that...it will just prove UBL right.

oddjob

Commander

This aint Vietnam....silly comparison.<br /><br />We were attacked by terrorists and now were slaughtering them on there turf...all is secure you can go back to sleep mode....

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

yeah right oddjob.... "slaughtering them".. uh huh... you gonna slaughter literally millions of Muslims in countless countries? And you think that this is a silly comparison... just wait 10 years or so when we're STILL getting killed in the middle east.. then say silly comparison.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

This religious fanatical fighting has been going on for about 3 thousand years now(maybe more). How can we expect to put a stop to it just because we are now involved? They will continue fighting and killing all who disagree for another 3 thousand years. You can't win a war of religion. Their view of lifes worth is so much different from ours. <br />Who knows,maybe someday...<br />Like some English guy once said "Imagine all the people, living life in peace"

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

SCO, good points, taken well, I can't see any other reason so many are turning around now, unless they believe now it's a wrong road, but they didn't think that to begin with, that's all I'm saying.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

well stated as usual SCO :) agree 100%<br />dave a., the crusades ended and so will this...<br />not soon though I fear.

salty87

Commander

some of the freedoms that our brave soldiers are fighting for over there are the rights to disagree and to change your mind.<br /><br />once we start pointing the finger at our own people and being devisive, we've taken a big step back. americans have the right to do these things even though you may not like it. with so many lies and mistruths being spread by media, govt, and military....i can't see placing blame on those with an opinion.<br /><br />our rights are being legislated away, let's not censor each other too.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The current battles in Iraq would certainly be happening elsewhere in the world if the Iraq invasion had not happened. Iraq is now a magnet for the terrorists because that is where the action is for those guys - that's where they get to take on the US troops.<br /><br />What is important is that finally the US and the western world is fighting back and keeping them on a downward spiral. In previous times the terrorists had freedom to plan, build up and train their forces... - those were the times when the most damage was done IMHO.<br /><br />So, the fighting in Iraq is definitely not in vain - it's clearing the world of terrorist scumbags - and it had to happen somewhere.<br /><br />There's too many "sheeple" in most parts of the world (including NZ), but it's hardly surprising when the left wing have such a strangle-hold on the news media & entertainment industry. Left wing propaganda is more common than spam these days....<br /><br />( So lets all be on guard against the woolly stuff ourselves... :eek: )

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's one way to help win this war. The middle east need more commentators like this guy:<br /> Middle East Jerry Springer?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

it's only a 1 time poll folks... :rolleyes: <br />one thing I like bout GW is he won't change his<br />course because of some stupid poll. he's doing<br />what he believes in his heart is right and don't<br />give a lick about this crud... <br />is one reason why he'll get MY vote ;)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

All of the news which we are fed comes from the "media" which in turn are controlled by their corporate masters, however it is up to each and every one of us to individually decipher the "mombo jombo" and interpret the facts for ourselves and not according to the bias of the many editorialists.<br />With one in every five inhabitants on this planet being a muslim, and that number is growing at a phenominal rate, it will take alot more than bombs and bullets to win this war.