Rouge Idle - 90hp Merc 2 stoke

StuartT

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 2, 2008
Messages
33
Model year is 2000. Just bought it used on eBay so no history to offer other than it was on a pontoon boat. Runs outstanding above idle, lots of power and smooth.

It idle, it seems to spit and stumble more than I think it should, but this is the first OB I have owned over 15hp, so I am not that I am not just over reacting.

I tried adjusting the idle jets with no success. In the water, as soon as you add even a little power, it smooths right out.

Boat is a 16' Starcraft fiberglass bow rider.

Thanks for your thoughts.
 

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
710
Re: Rouge Idle - 90hp Merc 2 stoke

I have a '99 Merc 90hp and it is also my 1st semi decent sized 2 stroke outboard. (I have owned a ton of I/Os). It does not idle super smooth, especially on muffs with no back pressure. There is also one throttle setting sorta of a slightly fast idle speed where it chugs a bit. From what other boating friends with outboards have told me it is pretty normal. You might try a tune up and de-carb (do a search for "sea foam". That helped my idle smoothness slightly.
 

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
27,468
Re: Rouge Idle - 90hp Merc 2 stoke

These engines have the reputation of being the worst idlers in the entire outboard history... :D My brother has one, from new out of the box, and it has never been a smooth idler...

Chris.......
 
Top