Rotting form bottom up-1984 4winns

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it common for stringers and the keel board to rot from the bottom up? I took off part of the sole and the ski well floor to see what things look like. The sole and top areas of the stringers/keel are perfect (except for the area I know leaked), but the lower parts of them are wet or black mush! <br /><br />How does the water get into stringers from the bottom--through the glass that connects them to the hull? <br /><br />I removed some foam also, and the hull surface looked kindof wet. Does the hull get wet inside-please tell me this is not common.

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rotting form bottom up-1984 4winns

Rhadley,<br /><br />Fiberglass w/polester resin which is what 99% of boats are constructed with is not waterproof. Moisture will wick through it. I'm not at all surprised to hear your description. <br /><br />Since rot spores need moisture to feed, they will begin at the most optimum point of moisture, and travel through the wood as moisture and temperature permit. Based on your description, the stringers "weakest" point was at their contact with the hull and the rot has spread from there. <br /><br />As to the hull seeming wet where the foam was, that's identical to what I experienced, and it actually took several days to dry. Again, with fiberglass it's not waterproof w/polyester resin, but the foam is trapping it. <br /><br />Sorry, pretty normal description from all I've found and read. Join our little restoration club, glad to have ya! ;) <br /><br />Regards,<br />Roger