Root Canal...

gaugeguy

Captain
Woke last night with a screaming tooth/headache. Got an emergency appt to see the dentist this morning, cracked tooth that got abcessed and requires a root canal. They can't do it till tomorrow, so they gave me a prescription for antibiotics and painkillers to get me through.<br /><br />Anyone got any experience with this or any other dentist horror stories?

Carphunter

Commander
Re: Root Canal...

Guageguy, I had a root canal last year when an old filling fell out and revealed a bad cavity underneath. The root canal itself was virtually painless, really. I had heard all the horror stories and was expecting the worse, but it wasn't bad at all.<br /><br />Problem with me was, the root canal cost $500.00 out of my pocket, then they wanted $600.00 to cap the tooth. Lets just say, I still haven't had it capped yet. :eek: <br /><br />Probably gonna have it pulled.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Wow I too woke up with a terrable toothache last night.....GGRRRRRRR.....Dont have insurance till april so Im bumming. :( :( :(

gaugeguy

Captain

Luckily, I do have dental insurance-after the deductible I'm looking at $240 out of pocket. I would have thought about the "yank it" option, if it was a molar, but it's a canine and I need that chopper.<br /><br />A root canal cannot be any more painful than what I went through last night. Probably pleasant in comparison, it was really brutal.

Homerr

Commander

I've had a few root canals when I was younger.<br />I will NEVER have them done again! <br />Not so much because of the pain, but the expense... Totally ridiculous.<br />Ok, I might have one done IF it was on a front tooth. Other than that..NO WAY! <br /><br />All but 1 of the teeth I had a root canal on, still ended up needed pulled out years later.<br />Total waste of money in my opinion.<br /><br />And I don't care what they say... Root canals are very painful. However... I may just be more sensitive in that area.<br /><br />To heck with root canals... That's what they make false teeth for! :D <br /><br />H.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

unfortionetly I know the pain your speaking og personally :( Last night was almost unbearable. I have in the past dislocated a shoulder,broke afoot bone and a bone in my hand. It was by far more pain then any of those and I gotta wait til april..........

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Had a couple of root canals before I had all caps installed.<br /><br />Painful? I don't really know. <br /><br />I fell asleep during both. :D :D

gaugeguy

Captain

How does a little tooth cause so much pain? I was ready to take the ice skate to my tooth last night like Tom Hanks in "Castaway".

LadyFish

Admiral

ewwwwwwww I will never forget that scene. That makes me think of biting down on aluminum foil, gives me the goose bumps.

18rabbit

Captain

And I don't care what they say... Root canals are very painful.
They don’t have to be. Dental technology has changed a lot and root canals, depending on the practitioner, can be virtually painless. I had one done by an MD that left me wondering when it was all going to start. Upper molar…only the tooth was anesthetized (thank you, spell checker!). Never felt it. I have also experienced one that had me wondering when it was going to end. I had no idea the tooth nerve is connected to the toe…I swear I felt it all the way thru my body.<br /><br />How to pick a dentist: starts with needlepoint…ever see a man doing it? Good dental work is going to come from someone that could also do good needlepoint work. Also, women have the advantage of little fingers…and if I’m going to have them in my mouth I want them small. Not so important now, but except for some of the women on Harleys, women typically don’t have hair on their knuckles. :) Everyone wears latex gloves now.<br /><br /> I have exploding teeth. It’s genetic. I can crack a tooth on a soggy noodle. There is no excuse for dental infections. You had to have ignored it. The root canal cannot start until the infection is under control. Depending on the infection, you may have to wait as long as a week.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Iv'e had them drilled, pulled, chipped, capped... the only thing that I require is multiple injections untill I feel no pain and then the happy gas, breath long and deep. Gas is the only thing I look forward to. How about those people that can handle the drilling without any pain killer, that amazes me.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I made the big mistake of ignoring a broken (back) tooth a number of years ago and by the time I finally went to the dentist it needed a root canal. If I'd had it seen to earlier, the root canal wouldn't have been needed :rolleyes: <br /><br />That was expensive enough...except that a couple of years later an infection developed at the end of the root canal - and so the whole tooth and root canal etc had to be removed. Removing the root canal was even more complicated and expensive than having it done in the first place! :eek: <br /><br />A year or so later I had a titanium implant put into my jaw and an artificial tooth bolted onto it....even more expensive...but so far I've had several years without any more problems... :rolleyes: <br /><br />I still can't believe how much cash I spent on one measly broken tooth! :( Lesson: - get to a dentist quickly if you break a tooth....

LadyFish

Admiral

gaugeguy, you really should stay away from sweets.
loli.gif

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Carphunter,<br />You should really try to get a permnent crown on that root canal. I know they're expensive. When I was a starving student I had two root canals done on two molars right next to each other. I couldn't afford the crowns so I didn't get them. Eventually the temps fell off and the tooth gradually crumbled away. I finally had to have them pulled. Now I wished I had borrowed the money for those two teeth. Implats are way more expensive than a crown.

Carphunter

Commander

joew94th, I was gonna get it capped, but I realized that I got a bunch more of them suckers in my mouth. :p <br /><br />Mine has already broken, and it is one of the back molars, so pulling may be my only option now.<br /><br />I have another tooth capped, and I have had more trouble with that tooth then all the other teeth, (which for me is only 15). :eek:

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I experienced my one and only root canal last summer. Dentist was awesome and made that side of the mouth completely numb after many injections of that deadening stuff( Is it still novacaine?). Had the music and all. Capped it and only a little stab of pain every once in awhile now. None lately though. I think its adjusted itself. One problem is I ended up with a case of TMJ( Temporal- Mandibular- Joint) syndrome. Felt like a bad earache for two weeks. It was from having the mouth open for so long. I hope never to have another one. Just yank the tooth is my only option.<br />Bassy

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />gaugeguy, you really should stay away from sweets.
loli.gif
Wasn't sweets (don't have a sweet tooth :D ) I cracked it somehow. Don't even know how, probably biting something I shouldnt have (fishing line). They'll be drilling in about 4 hours, and I can't wait.<br /><br />I thought I was gonna get percocets yesterday, they gave me tylenol 3 w/ codeine, might as well have given me M&M's with peanuts :mad: <br /><br />That was "sweet" of you though ;)

LadyFish

Admiral

I've only had one root canal and had to take valium before and gas during. My Mom was a dental hygienist and I think she practiced on us kids. Everyone of us has a fear of the drill. I can't even stand to hear it while I'm in the waiting room. I guess thats one way to get your kids to brush.
brsh1.gif
<br /><br />You'll be out of pain soon.
hlp.gif

gaugeguy

Captain

Can't wait, LF. My worst experience with a dentist was in Korea. I had to get a tooth filled while in the field. All the dentist's tools ran off of generator power and I think that it couldn't put out enough juice. The drill couldn't get up to full speed, probably not even half. I could actually feel every RPM of that thing, it was horrible.

tylerin

Commander

Just tie a string around your tooth attached to a doorknob and slam the door. End of story ;)