Rollers

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
does using a trailer with rollers instead of bunks have any negative impact on aluminum hull boats .... while at a dealership a couple of weeks ago we were told to only trailer an aluminum boat on one with bunks .... they said the rollers cause pressure points on the hull which can cause problems with the rivets

Jim

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Rollers

Probabally depends on the boat. You see a lot of little tin fishing boats on roller trailers around here. What type of boat was the dealer refering to?

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Model 1850 Pro Tiller Crestliner aluminum boat that is rigged and will be used as a walleye fishing boat

Jim

oldjeep

Admiral

Well, a quick look at the local Crestliner dealer website shows almost every new boat they have for sale is on a roller trailer.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My local tinny dealer sells it either way. Just depends on how much you want to pay. If you want a boat that is fun to use and easy to launch, and don't mind the extra $, they will sell you the roller trailer. If you're cheap, and don't care about breaking your back and getting the tailpipe of your car under water, then the rollers are for you.

Of course, it all depends on the facilities you have to launch at, because some are more user friendly than others.

If a roller trailer makes dents, blame it on the dealer for his setup, or its just a cheep trailer with an insufficient number.

Personally, if I couldn't buy a roller trailer, I'd build one myself or buy a dock....LOL. My 2009 tinny has no dents yet, and my 1964 still has a smoothe hull. Both came from the factory with a roller trailer. But then again I set them both up myself.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Well, a quick look at the local Crestliner dealer website shows almost every new boat they have for sale is on a roller trailer.

interesting .... the boat I mentioned was being purchased by my brother-in-law who lives in Minnesota .... we were visiting with them and I went with him to take a final look at the boat where I overheard the comment mentioned in the opening post .... we left for home prior to him making a final decision, don't know what type of trailer he chose .... I guess it is possible that the recommendation could have been made based on what the dealer wanted to sell

Jim

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

back before they even had bunk trailers, tinnies sat on keel rollers with short bunks aft to stabilize.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

does using a trailer with rollers instead of bunks have any negative impact on aluminum hull boats .... while at a dealership a couple of weeks ago we were told to only trailer an aluminum boat on one with bunks .... they said the rollers cause pressure points on the hull which can cause problems with the rivets. Jim

I have a 1984 Lund S14 DLX that has been on a roller trailer it's whole life. Weighs around 800# when fully loaded and the bottom is straight and it doesn't leak a drop. As to the Crestliner dealer, aren't Crestliners all welded hulls? No rivets?

I have to believe the dealer was just trying to push the Brand/models that he franchises and was using that statement to tout what he has. Very misleading in my mind.

My opinion still is that I've seen some very fine roller trailers and the same for bunk trailers. At the same time I've seen some real junk in both styles as well.

I myself prefer roller or keel roller/bunk trailers because of the types of ramps I use. Which most are primative gravel types that w/o a tilt bed feature I wouldn't be able to use them.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

back before they even had bunk trailers, tinnies sat on keel rollers with short bunks aft to stabilize.

I can't remember ever seeing a bunk trailer under any boat until the mid 1980s. The big inboards and day cruisers were all on flatbed trailers sitting in cradles.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Yep, my 1970 14' Crestliner had a Spartan trailer set up just like what was mentioned.

Crestliner hulls have been welded for some time. Don't remember the year they switched over from riveted hulls...... I've had nothing but roller trailers, with no issues.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The force required to permanently deform aluminum is measured in 1,000s of pounds per square inch.

So...how much does the boat weigh? What is the surface area of the rollers? :rolleyes:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The force required to permanently deform aluminum is measured in 1,000s of pounds per square inch.

Must be why they build airplaines from sheets of aluminum and rivets.
How many here know how much flex there is in the wing of a Boeing B52 bomber between at rest and fully loaded in flight?