roller trailer versus bunks

dmweyrauch

Cadet
What kind of trailer do you recommend, I have a 21' open bow deep V 5.7fiberglass boat, now my trailer is a single axle roller, I need a bigger trailer want a double axle, what are the benifits of each kind of trailer bunk boards or roller. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: roller trailer versus bunks

Your question will certainly spark a very long discussion and in the end you still have the same question. I've had both (many of each) and to this day I prefer a roller trailer for the ease of launch and retrieval -- especially at shallow ramps. The discussion will certainly turn to "point contact" of the rollers can dent or damage the boat. That is utter nonsense. An improperly set-up trailer is what damages hulls and it doesn't matter if its a bunk or roller trailer.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your question will certainly spark a very long discussion and in the end you still have the same question. I've had both (many of each) and to this day I prefer a roller trailer for the ease of launch and retrieval -- especially at shallow ramps. The discussion will certainly turn to "point contact" of the rollers can dent or damage the boat. That is utter nonsense. An improperly set-up trailer is what damages hulls and it doesn't matter if its a bunk or roller trailer.

Ditto.... wish I still had my roller trailer... :(

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I love my roller trailer, as mentioned especially on shallow ramps. I admit t's left some war wounds on the bottom of my 18 foot aluminum Sylvan, there are some roller marks on the bottom, mostly because it wasn't set up right from factory, and my dad failing to pull the plug during storage. An extra couple thousand lbs of water will do that to a boat with bunks or rollers.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I'm right there with the rest of you guys......

jkust

Rear Admiral

To me this is like asking if a horse or a fully functioning car is faster on the open road. Have had both and the roller trailer is superior in usability, ease of use in difficult conditions such as shallow ramp, inappropriate tow vehicle, short courtesy dock, heavy wind, poorly maintained ramp, etc for my needs. I have a full Shorlandr roller trailer for my Chaparral and can't count the number of times it has made my life at the ramps easier. This weekend, we had the way too short courtesy dock, sustained 40mph winds gusting higher blowing straight at us and bad ramp all at once while pulling out and the roller trailer saved us from certain dock rash. It was our most challenging ramp experience ever but our resort time was up and we had to go. I am always suprised there is even a question on this. Roller's are to me better technology. For every upside there is always a down side and yes you do have to at some point maintian/replace rollers which is as simple as can be.

Brewman61

Ensign

I've dealt with both, but prefer my roller for reasons already mentioned.

But I'm seeing way more boats around here on bunks than on rollers, not sure why. Cost?

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I'll be that guy. I use both. Rollers down the center and bunks on each side. I like the idea of having solid support under my gunners, while traveling. Since the tongue of my trailer is long, I have no problem either way (short or long docks). I can see how rollers would make things easier on a person though. It's more of personal preference.

Bifflefan

Commander

My boat has had a roller under it for 26 years and has no damage from it at all.
I love it and like stated its easy for load and launch.

While im not like most, I have not had a bunk in the past, all 3 of mine have been rollers.
The only down side may be the expense of buying non-marking rollers. But there are things that cost with a bunk also.

Just a side note, I also have a 21' and a tandem axle. Boat with gas, no gear and trailer weighs just over 4000 lbs. and tows like a dream.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

To me it all seems like a matter of preferance and agree with the statement that no one trailer is better than the other if properly set up.

It also seems to me that Full Bunk trailers came into vogue about the same time as Bass Boats and Professonal Bass Fishing and their practice of Power Loading. As before that all that were ever seen around here were keel roller bunk trailers along with a few all Roller trailers. I make this statement as I've been around the waters of the Fox Chain o Lakes sense 1960 and have seen alot of boats over the years! Some even sitting on the same trailers for years w/o any damage.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My first 2 boats were both on roller trailers. That was used as a selling point at the time. When I bought my present boat 26 years ago I had an option. The dealer tried to sway me to bunks because he was going to sell that trailer cheeper. I insisted on rollers and have been happy with it since.

I can understand why some people want a bunk trailer, but I just don't understand why they defend it. Sure its cheeper and maybe less maintenance, but where ever you go you see people with the car half in the water and them up to their knees trying to launch. I NEVER get my feet wet. EVER.

Three years ago I bought a new bass boat and it already had a bunk trailer under it, so I accepted it rather than wait for a special order trailer. Launched it twice, then replaced the bunks with roller bunks and added keel rollers. Works perfect now.

Just for grins and giggles and after reading all the horror stories here, I recently pushed both boats back on their trailers and inspected the bottoms. No dents, deformation or roller induced problems. Like I said, the one is 26 years old.

45Auto

Commander

Boston Whaler has been making high quality boats for a long time. You may be interested in what they have to say about bunks vs rollers:

http://www.whaler.com/Page.aspx/pageId/45622/page.aspx

CHOOSE THE CORRECT TRAILER

Depending on the size of your boat and the conditions in which you launch and retrieve, there are two styles of trailers.

1) Float-on bunk style trailer - Bunks should be as long as possible and conform to the shape of the hull to provide good fore and aft support to spread the total weight. For larger/heavier models, you may want to look into two sets of bunks. One set to cradle the keel and another further out for support. Keel rollers or guards can be used on the trailer cross members to provide additional support or protection. A float-on trailer is easier to maintain and works best in boat ramps with deeper water.

2) Keel roller trailer - Keel rollers must be adjusted so they support the keel and bear ALL THE WEIGHT of the boat. Side bunks should be used to balance the weight on the keel rollers. A keel roller trailer works out best in shallow water ramps.

Boston Whaler does NOT recommend using an all roller trailer. Side rollers can cause a ripple effect on the fiberglass. This could disrupt the bond between the fiberglass and the foam core, causing potential hull problems.

I have both, I prefer bunks.

To launch, back in until back of boat floats. Unhook strap while stepping onto trailer then into boat. Idle back off trailer.

To load, idle onto trailer until boat stops. Hook strap while stepping out of boat onto trailer. Winch boat last foot up to bow stop. Pull away from ramp.

The roller trailer won't hold the boat in place like the bunks. The boat won't stay in place for you to shut down, step off and hook up the winch strap.

Neither me or my truck ever come close to the water with this technique. Only places I've ever launched in the last 40 years are Florida and Louisiana, so if you have shallow ramps rollers may be better.

This guy wrote up a little article on it with his views of the differences. The way I use my trailer is what he calls the "Kentucky Ramp" except there's always a dock by the ramps I use:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trailering/twoSchools.html

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I am sure Whaler knows their hulls and their building methodologies and what is right for their product. But then again that is only one manufacturer who states what is reccommened for that product. Other builders use different methods which I am sure require different solutions.

I can understand Whaler as they use foam as a structural element in their building, others do not.

Personally the ramp I use is so shallow that the only way in is with a tilt bed trailer. Even at high water levels.

Disclaimer, but it's also the only free ramp on the lake and it's only 4 houses down the street.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Boston Whaler has been making high quality boats for a long time. You may be interested in what they have to say about bunks vs rollers:

http://www.whaler.com/Page.aspx/pageId/45622/page.aspx

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/trailering/twoSchools.html

We fall into the Michigan ramp except most have such a short courtesy dock that even an 18 foot boat goes 8 feet beyond the usable length. So if you don't power load and there are no bumpers on the dock as most are long gone and only your amidship fender is of any use the roller trailer lets you both retrieve and launch with at least some length of dock. I can say with certainty that the benefits roller trailers offer help tremendously at the ramps I frequent in MN. If I had a tinny or a lighter boat or boat I cared less about I may not have the same thought process. For a state with more than 10,000 lakes, many of our ramps are woefully inadequate or undermaintained. In a perfect world roller trailers would be a waste of extra money over a bunk. I suppose I can sum it up and say ramp life is easier with a roller trailer in Minnesota. You don't need one but you will be at a disadvantage without one, not all the time but some of the time. I experience roller envy all the time at ramps from bunk owners see me whisk on and off in the best and worst conditions. I bet I see 10:1 bunks to rollers at the ramps.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Whaler certainly makes a high quality boat and their trailer writeup seems to be spot on. I'm sure that the disclaimer re. all rollers is just a legal way to PTA.

If you look at the all roller trailer offerings you'll see big differences in the designs. I can't believe some of the ones on the cheep end - some of the models designed for 18-19' boats only have 4 roller assemblies and only 4 rollers per assembly. Just do the math and see how much weight each roller is supposed to carry.

IMHO, the right trailer under a Whaler will do no damage.

My little bass boat has 33 rollers under her. I can turn each one by hand. I don't mind the extra maintenance, but I sure like the one finger push to get her off. A bunk would work, but since my local ramps are neither deep nor steep, and the fact that my towcar is rear wheel drive, if I had to back far enough to float her off, my drive wheels would almost certainly spin in the slime at the water's edge.