Roll and tip VS Spraying - Cant Decide!

sbv16

Cadet
Hello!

I have a 15 foot fibreglass runabout which I am wanting to paint completely. I have purchased some Hempel 2pak polyurethane boat paint, both the top coat and epoxy primer.

I have also been reading through these forums about the roll and tip method of painting as well as the spraying method. I have access to a safe area to spray the boat as well as appropriate respirator etc. I do not however have the air compressor or gun and have never sprayed before.

I need to do the entire boat, underneith as well as sides etc. I guess I feel confident enough to try to roll and tip the underneith of the boat and sides, what worries me is the inside parts of the boat, the dash, splashwell and spots where using a roller is going to be very difficult. I want a good finish and I really dont want to have brush marks all over the place.

Spraying is not easy and there is a fair cost involved in getting a big enough compressor and decent spray gun to do the job. Can those with experience in the roll and tip method offer any advice on whether spraying is worth the extra investment??? Is the roll and tip method that simple? and can it be used in areas where a roller is not accessible?

Cheers

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Roll and tip VS Spraying - Cant Decide!

hi !
spraying is allways better than roll and tip.

however, only if done by a good spray man!.....if you dont know what you are doing with a gun....you can and will sag it....run it...and generally make a mess out of things.

roll and tip is a great method that works for most people.

as far as the "inside" of the boat what is in there that you need a mirror paint job on?
if you are having a really hard time getting into places......there are disposable paint guns that are powered by a areosol can......just add your own paint.....cost about 10 bux....that will get you into hard to reach places and give good coverage.

cheers
oops

moki

Cadet

I've painted more cars than most people have driven, spraying has one basic rule...2-3 light coats are far better than 1 heavy coat. IF you spray a heavy coat, it most likely will run. IF it runs and you catch it soon enough, you can lift the run off with a loop of masking tape, just touch the sticky part of the tape to the run and pull it off. Spray paint in directions, side to side, up and down, diagonally to hide any overlap lines.

You will get a mirror finish spraying, where rolling will leave the 'orange peel' look. You will use more paint spraying. The size of compressor is not that big an issue, the quality of the spray gun makes a good paint job. The guns included with most compressors are 'poor', go to a auto body shop, and ask what guns they use, talk to a painter. A 'good' spray gun (i prefer Binks) can be found on e-bay for under $100.

On my boat, a 17ft MacGreggor sailboat, I wanted to get it in the water quickly, so I rolled the topside. It came out 'ok', but I am a perfectionist and will sand and spray in the fall after enjoying it all summer long. The inside looks fine rolled.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if you did roll it on and got a good heavy coat or coats you would have enough buildup to be able to color sand, buff and polish to a pretty darn good finish. A good gun would be of utmost importance to get a good job, but never having done it before it would be a challange both the spraying and the gun setup, correct tip, pressure, etc for exactly what you are spraying. Continue to search here for finished roll and tip projects there are a few that are unbelieveable, as in the finish is perfect.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just sprayed my boat, 22ft four winns, and it was the first time I ever picked up a spray gun and it turned out pretty good if you ever used a spray paint can your half way there. I did have a few small runs but I wasnt worried about them. The paint has all the information on the lable you need as far as how to thin and spray. I used a scrap sheet of ply wood to practice on to figure out how the gun worked and all its adjustments and what not and the best distance to spay from for a good finish. I used 4 quarts of white to completly white the boat out with 4 coats. I then sprayed black detailing.

I will say that it is faster to cover the boat vs rolling but will make your figures sore.

Think of it this way, if you want to learn a new skill spray it, worse case once its drys you have to do some sanding and touch up...If you just want it done and your not worried about a perfect smooth finish roll it.

foobash

Cadet

I just sprayed my boat, 22ft four winns, and it was the first time I ever picked up a spray gun and it turned out pretty good if you ever used a spray paint can your half way there. I did have a few small runs but I wasnt worried about them. The paint has all the information on the lable you need as far as how to thin and spray. I used a scrap sheet of ply wood to practice on to figure out how the gun worked and all its adjustments and what not and the best distance to spay from for a good finish. I used 4 quarts of white to completly white the boat out with 4 coats. I then sprayed black detailing.

I will say that it is faster to cover the boat vs rolling but will make your figures sore.

Think of it this way, if you want to learn a new skill spray it, worse case once its drys you have to do some sanding and touch up...If you just want it done and your not worried about a perfect smooth finish roll it.

What brand/type of spray gun(s) did you use? Are the Harbor Freight ones any good?

Thanks,

Richard

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Harbor freight guns work fine. You'll want to make sure that you get a cup style gun as opposed to a gravity feed; that'll make your life a bit easier. Remember that you'll have to match the aperture of your spray tip to the manufacturers recommendation. Also, the most important thing when ordering a harbor freight gun is to make sure that if you aren't using a pressure regulated air source, that you order an in-line pressure reg as well. You'll need to step down the standard 120 PSI to 15-20

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you can spray, go for it... Do some test work first, on something other than the boat, just to get a little practice. I used a HVLP turbine gun on mine, and it turned out VERY nice. I had limited spray experience. I sprayed my trailer and some things around the house before I attempted the boat.

Be VERY careful with safety equipment. You already said that you had access to the correct respirator, etc- Just make sure it's right and USE it. I used a single part paint, which is nasty enough, some of the multiparts are downright deadly if not used with adequate protection.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Ok lets think about this for a minute...The cost of the sprayer....cost of compressor...tips...solvents...hoses....that would be expensive... what 400 or more??? save that thought.

95% of your paint is going to be prep....Now depending on your nature painting a boat...errr prepping a boat might take 60 hours...or 120...:eek:...What it takes that will be your biggest investment.

Now then...then there is the matter of controlling your product flow...tip sizing....Then you have to add a pressure regulator for uniform flow..add to the cost again....Then there is the matter of being able to fan the gun in a controlled manner so you wont get overlap or to much product...aka runs or flashing...the list is endless....Ohh taping and masking time lets not forget that...:D

Or you roll and tip...errr roll and roll....;)

Interlux perfection is about 70 a quart...x2 gets 140....2333n is about 30 thats 170... Closed cell foam rollers are what $5 for 5 of them....175.....add another 25 for cups and what ever.

The big difference here is your spending money on "one" of the best paints avaible. Its gloss is only matched by its durability. It has been formulated to flow and LEVEL flat most paints are not setup that way....Dont worry about tight corners or compounded curves you have the time to correct over or under applictions....remeber your laying out the paint and you can correct what youve done as you go along.....Spraying thats not a option once laid its there.

It generally takes about 3-5 layers to build up to a finish and with each application you become more aware and more compentent of how the paint flows...it just keeps getting better as you go along

Now as to time it takes about 30 minutes to roll out a boat of that size..outer hull that is the inner the same. So if you have 50 hours into something whats another 4 or 5 and trust me if you take your time and ask questions you should be able to acheive results that will amaze you and a finish that is as hard as nails.

Heres a pic of perfection...i still am amazed at this paint. Notice those reflections are from 18 to 100 feet away its almost a mirror finish..And you can bump a dock pretty damm hard and not even a blemish...Umm no nails hit yet....:D

JAmi016.jpg

So in the end your about 200 out of pocket and if you take your time you should be quite happy with yourself....That paint job would probably run about 3000 and Perfection is as hard and durable as it gets.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I've painted more cars than most people have driven, spraying has one basic rule...2-3 light coats are far better than 1 heavy coat. IF you spray a heavy coat, it most likely will run. IF it runs and you catch it soon enough, you can lift the run off with a loop of masking tape, just touch the sticky part of the tape to the run and pull it off. Spray paint in directions, side to side, up and down, diagonally to hide any overlap lines.

You will get a mirror finish spraying, where rolling will leave the 'orange peel' look. You will use more paint spraying. The size of compressor is not that big an issue, the quality of the spray gun makes a good paint job. The guns included with most compressors are 'poor', go to a auto body shop, and ask what guns they use, talk to a painter. A 'good' spray gun (i prefer Binks) can be found on e-bay for under $100.

On my boat, a 17ft MacGreggor sailboat, I wanted to get it in the water quickly, so I rolled the topside. It came out 'ok', but I am a perfectionist and will sand and spray in the fall after enjoying it all summer long. The inside looks fine rolled.

Moki i at one time would have agreed with you....You need to see how Inerlux Perfection works....Smiles it things change....