Roll and Tip Interlux Brightside Paint

nastyquedawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK this is my first time ever painting a boat. I sanded the boat, cleaned the area and attempted to roll and tip but had a few problems. I used a foam roller and a foam brush to tip, but when I began tip it seemed to drag the paint. I dipped the foam brush into the paint, took a cloth to remove the excess paint from the foam brush, and tried it again. Still did not work. I gave up and finished rolling the area and I can see where the roll marks are. Knowing that this is the first coat I believe I can eliminate the roll marks with the second and third coat. I plan on doing the tipping again but will be using a purdy brush(non foam) in hopes to achieve the desired rults. I also purchased some brush thinner(interlux 333) but am unsure how much of it to add to the paint? I also will use 320 grit sand paper to sand between coats. Should I go with the 220 or 320? I plan on doing the 2nd coat tomorrow morning.

redfury

Commander
Re: Roll and Tip Interlux Brightside Paint

You can't use a foam brush for the tipping aspect. You want to use the finest closed cell foam roller you can get to roll the paint on and a good quality brush is essential. Ultimately, you'd want someone else to roll the paint while you do the tipping.

However, there are ways to make the paint more manageable. Different solvents will retard or speed up the dry time of the paint. Generally you don't want to go over 10% thinner by volume...and you really shouldn't need to. I painted the topper on my boat by rolling only. Now that it is cured I plan to sand and buff it smooth. That is an option you can exercise if you have troubles.

Here's the best piece of advice I can give you though. Don't allow yourself to leave ridges when you roll...they WILL show through the paint. For a first time painter, the best thing is to get the first coat on thin...don't expect to get a solid color of paint the first time out. I made that mistake and had a lot of sanding and starting over to do because of ridges and smallish imperfections. Work the paint job methodically. You want to look at the section you are going to paint and get a game plan going before you even think about uncorking that can of paint.

Make a plan of attack and then work the plan. I coat hardwood floors everyday and that's the only way I can get a clean coat down consistantly...work the plan, but plan the work first before I bring in any equipment. Survey your work surface and try to anticipate problem areas and figure out how you are going to conquer them now...improv and painting rarely go hand in hand.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I have posted many times before on this subject of tip and roll...err roll and tip.

Ok you can torture yourself with a roll and tip method if you like. After all we have our opinions. But you can make your life much eaiser using a roll and roll method.

See my Wellcraft face lift in final builds.It really is just to damm easy...;)

nastyquedawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it possible just to use a brush to get better results. I am only painting a 12 inch section under the rub rail around the boat?

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

Roll 1st and then use a very fine quality brush to tip it out rather then just brushing it on.

redfury

Commander

the idea behind roll and tip is to use the roller to evenly apply the paint and the brush to lightly tip the paint smooth. You don't want to use the brush like you are painting the boat with it, you are just skimming the surface to knock the stipple effect down.

A second clean roller can do this also as previously mentioned. You need to keep the brush/roller clean for the tipping part.

bzajdek

Seaman

Cab someone explain clean? do you want it prerolled in paint or thinner(slightly moist) or dry or the amount of paint normally used on a brush or roller. Sorry Im not trying to hijack this thread!

ravej50

Seaman Apprentice

The easiest I've found was to roll the paint on and then use another roller to get rid of the bubbles and smooth it out. The 2nd roller you use to rid the bubbles and smooth it out should be a clean roller meaning barely or no paint on the roller or at least dried clean roller. Clean meaning no dirt or lint on the roller.

tallcanadian

Captain

the biggest thing is your sanding. make sure the surface is smooth. a foam roller is fine but do many thin coats. don't try and put on too much with the roller. i used a badger hair paint brush to tip with and had great results. sand between coats. two to three coats should be sufficient. i did my boat this way. good luck.

drewpster

Commander

Some conclusions. Painting with polyurethane paints is a challenge because the techniques used to apply them directly effect the look of the dry paint.

It must be applied evenly. This is normally done with a very short nap roller or a closed cell (firm) foam roller. Apply thin coats.

When applied, the brush or roller will leave surface defects that if not smoothed out will remain in the paint when dry. As the paint is applied it must be tipped (smoothed out) using a second tool. This is normally done with a quality fine bristle brush that can be used with solvent based paints. A firm closed cell roller can also be used for this. The tipping tool is used dry (not loaded with paint). In fact it is best to clean your tipping tool periodically during the work. Some people pre-clean their tools (roller and tipper) and leave a small amount of solvent in the tipping tool.

Weather effects the paint.

If it is warm out (above 75 deg or so) and you have to paint outside it is much easier to have a helper apply the paint while you tip it off. If it is very warm (above 80) then you may have to add thinner to slow the flash drying effect warm temps can cause. Too much thinner can cause the paint to flash even more quickly so be conservative. (no more than 10%)

Wind is your enemy!

Even a slight breeze can cause the paint to flash off making tipping it impossible. Paint indoors if at all possible. If you must be outside then paint in the early morning when the wind is calmest.

Leveling the paint

The paint has leveling agents in it that will help it to smooth out as it dries. The effect of this is limited but you may be surprised how well it works. The point here is not to spend too much time trying to tip the paint perfectly smooth. Remove any bubbles and try to skim the paint lightly and evenly. If you make a mistake that will not smooth out simply keep moving and come back to it after the paint is dry. You may find that your mistake is far better than you thought. Tipping is time sensitive. Keep moving and work only in wet paint. If your tipping tool starts to drag or the paint on it starts to feel dry, clean it and move on. I keep two tipping brushes handy. I have my helper keep one clean at all times. As my tipping brush gets loaded with too much paint I simply switch to the clean one and move on.

Enlist Help

All the techniques and advice on this subject can be carried out by one person doing the painting. If you are doing the work in less than ideal conditions and you have a large area to paint, get a helper. It make things go more smoothly. If they can roll while you tip, that's great, and a big help. I personally would not attempt painting a large area outside without a helper doing the rolling. If you must work alone paint and tip smaller areas at a time. Roll an area perhaps 2' x 3' and tip it immediately. then move to the next 2' x 3' area. The trick will be to keep a wet edge from one section to the other. If the line from one section starts to flash before the next is rolled on, lines or ridges can be seen in the dry paint. This is a big problem when painting alone. The paint must be kept wet from one area to the next.

hope this helps
poly paints are a pain compared to house paint but the results are spectacular! you just have to overcome a slight learing curve.
If you have prepped properly then you are used to sanding by now. If you make a mistake, sand it and re-do it, simple huh? :D

Urbina

Seaman Apprentice

thank you very much.
I myself am working on painting my first boat and decided to do a little research on how to apply paint using the roller and tip method

jpormen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did a roll and roll method, first time doing it and it turned out pretty well for me. My advice is to not paint on a windy day if your outside, i spilt prolly more paint on the ground than i got on my boat :facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

This I did with roll and roll . I used 2 high dens foam rollers 6" .I would roll the paint on about 2 or 3 sq ft thin coat then the other roller get it wet then squeeze out most all of paint. Roll over the paint with light strokes just work it till it starts to flatten out. Once you do it a little you will get the hang of it. But I used enamel with hardener . Not sure how it would work with your paint..
DSC00136.jpg

BTW keep your tipping roller in a plastic bag while not in use..

JDA1975

Lieutenant

also a good idea if the paint starts to flash on you, skip the tip on that section...its easier to sand down the rolled portion than it is to sand the mess the brush will make on flashing paint...it wont tip smooth but more like drag a bunch of paint together...use the right thinner also...faster evaporating thinners are good in colder weather, but during warm weather you want to slow it down