Rodbolt or Philip A.? - HELP: adjusting new Cobra transom shift cable

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Installed a new transom shift cable on my '89 4.3L Cobra. I've got the OEM service manaul, a clymers manusal, and all of Stuarts stuff printed out. <br /><br />Thought I did everything correctly but then I put drive back on & tried to do the 5 point Engine Shift Bracket Adjustment. After setting forward gear enganement (step 2) found that gears weren't releasing to neutral when I shifted back into neutral at the helm.<br /><br />Gonna take the drive off again and recheck, but after looking all my materials over I realize that I might not be clear on correctly positioning the shift cable guide at the transom housing before setting the 7 5/8" measurement at the casing guide in the engine compartment.<br /><br />I don't have a Cobra alignment plate, so used the old instructions and a straignt edge to set what I thought was the lower vertical edge of the guide tab flush with the pivot housing gasket surface. But now I'm not sure I was aligning the right thing. Basically, I put the straight edge against the casing just under the shift cable guide & pulled it out until what I thought was the guide tab hit the straight edge. But Rodbolt & Phillp A. both mentioned using a T square to set the bellcrank at a 90 degree angle to the machine surface. Is this an alternative and easier way to set the cable guide in the right position than using the 'guide tab' on the cable guide? <br /><br />I know I'm probably overly complicating something, or missing someting obvious, but really want to get it right (was smart enough to buy an extra gasket, but only 1 extra so need to get it correct this time).<br /><br />Couple of other questions if I might:<br /><br />1) Didn't refill the drive with oil yet, would that make any attempt to adust shifting much more difficult if it's dry?<br /><br />2)Biggest problem I had (other than above) was when connecting the 'cable nut' to the back of the pivot housing after I had replaced the cable. Basically, seemed like the entire cable jacket needed to turn inside the rubber when tightening. Very tough to get it lined up to start (I had the pivot housing off & no helper) and even if I did get it started cleanly, it seemed like it would be difficult to tighten with the cable already installed, and create the possibility of introducing kinks in the cable since it would be spinning around in the hose so many times. Is that how it's supposed to be? I found it easier to pull the cable back out, connect it to the back of the pivot housing (which was itself disconected) and then rethread the now attached cable from the back of the transom into the bilge. Did I miss something there?<br /><br />3) Didn't have an adapter to measure the torque on the 6 lock nuts when I reconnected the outdrive to the transom. I followed the correct pattern (as per manual) and tightened in several stages, but cranked it down pretty tight with my box wrench. Is it possible to tighten those bolts too much (I can see the gasket squeezing out a bit between the drive & the pivot housing casing)? <br /><br />Thanks for any help, I'd really like to get this fixed today. On my way to repull the drive right now.<br /><br />(btw, I did split the drives & measure the shift rod height; it was correct)

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Rodbolt or Philip A.? - HELP: adjusting new Cobra transom shift cable

Bump 'cause I'd really appreciate input from one of you who experience with this before I put the drive back on again. Might it help if I posted a picture of what the pivot housing looks like now with the drive pulled? <br /><br />I pulled the drive again, next time I'm going to put it back without the new gasket at first to see if I can get the shifting correctly adjusted (won't put it into the water at that point). Once it seems to be correctly adjusted I'll reinstall the outdrive with the new gasket and then test it in the water.

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a carpenters square on my bellcrank and it worked great. I've had a smooth shifting cobra for 2 summers now thanks to this forum and Stuarts page. Sorry, I don't know about the problem with the cable nut because I didn't remove the pivot housing. I only adjusted my cable, didn't replace it. BTW, I did mine without refilling the oil and I didn't have any problem disengaging the gears. Are you doing this by yourself? Is it possible someone might need to slightly turn the prop while you are disengaging? It would be turning while you're in gear with engine running.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the whole key is to insure the cable bracket end at the bell crank is correct. the lock bolt must be set correctly. I cant type it but I can do it. after that setting the treaded cable guide in the engine end of the cable must be done correctly. after that the measurement from the cable ancor center to the center of the adjusting trunion must be correct.. anytime your shifting you really should have someone turning the prop. wont matter coming out of gear but can be damaged if the dogs dont line up going into gear.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What exactly is being lined up with the t-square? I know I'm supposed to line up the long side of the t-square to the pivot housing casing edges, but what am I lining up at 90 degrees? An imaginary line through the center of the body of the bellcrank? It doesn't seem like one could use either the top or bottom edge of the bellcrank because it's not symetrical (slightly fatter at the back end than the front end), which would knock you off 90 degrees.<br /><br />I know this is probably very simple. And I swear I'm not learning disabled, just a bit discombobulated at this point.<br /><br />I first tried to use the old OMC guidelines, which sets the position of the shift cable guide (and therefore the bellcrank) using a straight edge to line up the pivot housing casing edges with "the lower vertical edge of the guide tab". If I was correct as to what I thought was the lower vertical edge of the guide tab, then that didn't leave the bellcrank at a 90 degree angle to the casing. I like the idea of using a t-square on the bellcrank instead if I can figure out exactly how to do it that way. <br /><br />I've got the OMC service manual, and it seems like if I can get the bellcrank set in the correct position, the rest of it should be pretty straightforward if I just follow the procedure they lay out (famous last words, eh?). <br /><br />BTW, I did have someone turning prop shaft when I tried it. (when I first tried to adjust before changing the cable, it was only me so I rigged up a ski handle to a prop blade & attached enough rope so I could pull the prop while shifting from the drivers seat...much easier the second time around when I had a helper turn the shaft while I was shifting, lol). <br /><br />Oh, and Rodbolt, was I correct about attaching the transom shift cable to the back of the pivot housing (i.e., turning the nut that attachs the cable turns the entire cable at the same time?) <br /><br />Thanks for your replies, hopefully I'll get this thing yet. I think I'll post a picture with some arrows on it. That might make it easier for me to understand.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

<br /><br /><br />ok, here's a pic. the yellow arrow points to what I take to be "the lower vertical edge of the guide tab", which is what the old OMC procedure tells me to line up with the casing.<br /><br />if i use the t-square instead, am i supposed to make an imaginary line through the middle of the bellcrank (like the red one pointed to by the blue arrow) and line it up 90 degrees to the pivot house casing? If not, what am I lining up with the t square?<br /><br />Thanks for sticking with me.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ok, I finally got the pic to work.

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I've been out a lot. It appears that you are doing it the way I did it...however, I'm no expert! I've only done one, that being mine. Have you tried it yet to see what happened?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

marunr, <br /><br />Thanks for getting back, thought I'd been deserted for awhile, lol. I had it almost set to attach the drive when a big storm rolled in and I had to scurry to get my tools put away & the boat covered. Rain was blowing so hard it was even getting in the raised boat some, let alone the outside transom area. (I've got a covered boat house with a lift, but it's open on the sides. I ran some 2x6s across the slip and put some 3/4" plywood on that so I can work on the drive/ boat right in the slip.) <br /><br />One more question: since the bell crank sticks out some and there is that pin on the port side of it, one really has to eyeball the 90 degree setting against the body of the bellcrank from an inch or two away since you can't put the square right up against the bellcrank body, correct? Just want to make sure I'm not missing some method that would allow me to use the square a bit more precisely. <br /><br />Gotta go out of town for a couple of days so won't be able to try it again till next week. Gonna dry fit the drive first (without gasket, or probably using the same gasket), do the inside adjustments, and if adjustments seem to be ok, pull the drive once more & apply a new gasket before putting it in the water . <br /><br /><br />btw, I made a drive holder using old 2x4s from a design someone else posted for a merc. Had to adjust dimensions for a Cobra, & put those teflon sliders under it instead of rollers, but it works great. I slide it under the drive, drop the lift, undo the nuts, and slide it out. Puttig it back on was almost as easy (just me, no helper). If you get the correct height you should be able to do the same using your boat trailer. If you pull your drive regularly to grease the ujoints and think the holder might be worth building (very easy, btw), let me know & I'll post a pic and the dimensions to fit a Cobra (the orignal posters was for a Merc).

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> <br /><br />One more question: since the bell crank sticks out some and there is that pin on the port side of it, one really has to eyeball the 90 degree setting against the body of the bellcrank from an inch or two away since you can't put the square right up against the bellcrank body, correct? <br /><br />
That's what I did, yes. And I would love to see the designs for the drive holder. I've been thinking of making one myself and wasn't sure how I would go about it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ya want to make the horizontal centerline of the bellcrank pin(red mark) perpendicular (90*) to the vertical plane of the bell housing gasket surface. I cant remember the procedure for setting the shift slide and the lock bolt but it must be followed exactly. I have found over the years that after those two steps are done its faster for me to install the drive at that point and finnish the installation of the engine end of the caple. unless you have the tool OMC made to hold the bell crank.that way the shifter in the drive will hold the crank while you finnish the engine side.

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lakelivin<br />Sorry I haven't replied but have been away.<br />Now I am not a pro mech by no means but I will tell you how I did cable replacement.First make sure that the bell crank area is clean and that it is well greased so it pivits easly.Later models have a grease fitting to do this.I used a thick square and adjusted bel crank so it was lined up thru the pivot pin,where your red line is, and yes there is room for slight error there.<br />For the rest of adjustment I found for me it was easier with someone up on top at engine while I tightned up the nut at bottm and made the top adjustment.Make sure you have your drive out of gear while doing all of this.The next critcal adjustment is the adjustment at engine end,I don't have my notes with me now but I believe it calls for 7 5/8 inches and that is plus or minus 1/32,this is critical.The next thing to do is get the brass trunion screwed in or out to fit in the pocket it goes in on engine end.Also be aware of the rubber boot that the cable goes thru at engine end,fits over tube cable comes up thru,this is there for a purpose,keep water out of boat.Like rodbolt said,it is something hard to explain without doing it in person.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.<br /><br />I've got the detailed instructions on what to do, think I just needed to be more exacting on getting the bellcrank at 90 degrees and keeping it there. You've verified how I think is the best way to do it, just wish there was room for a square to fit right up against the crank to improve precision as to the 90 degrees.<br /><br />I'll retry it when I get back in town & let you know how it came out. Guardedly optomistic at this point, lol.<br /><br />marunr, I'll also post some pics & the dimensions of the drive holder I made. REALLY simplifies taking off & putting the drive back on. Easy for 1 person to do.