Roast Beef Recipe anyone?

ndemge

Commander
Cooking about a 8lb roast tomorrow, anyone have any SIMPLE methods? <br /><br />I will be cooking it in an oven, so don't worry about the wonderfull 10 hour smoke'n.... :)

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Roast Beef Recipe anyone?

My wife does it like this:<br /><br />She buys an oven roasting bag, puts the roast in it, along with lots of nice cut up veggies such as carrots, potatoes, onions, and maybe some green beans or green peas, or maybe even both (all the veggies in it are going to be so deelishus), and just follow the instructions that come with the bag. I am telling you, there are lots of ways to cook a roast, but if you season that roast and cook it in that bag, there ain't a more tender and scrumptions roast available!!! Other ways are just as good, but you asked for simple :) You gotta belileve that someone from the deep south knows what he is talkin' 'bout!!!

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll second the bag, and add a can of cream of mushroom soup to aide in the gravy mess left behind, along with a tablespoon of flour I believe. My wife cant make a PB and J without instructions, but she makes a fantastic roast in a bag. "she's blonde also" No offense LF, but I'm still laughing about the license plate.

ehenry

Commander

I like to rub a roast with garlic powder and put in on the grill. You want to get it out of the fridge, depending on the size, about 3 to 4 hours before you cook it so the meat wont be fridgid when you start to cook it. You will want to sear it on all sides over the fire when you first put it on then set if off the fire and cook 18 to 20 minutes per pound for medium rare doneness. While its cooking I will baste the roast with a mixture of Wishbone Italian dressing and worchesershire sauce (Rooster Sauce). You want to keep your grill around 350 to 400 degrees. I dont use a gas grill I use charcoal and wood...oak, pecan, chessnut, hickory...any fuit bearing tree is good wood to use to cook. I've use apple and pear before.

spratt

Lieutenant

Grand, I forgot the cream of mushroom...definitely add that, or mushroom, either...but I know my wife uses the cream of mushroom

LadyFish

Admiral

This would be for a 3 pounds beef eye of round roast. Bring meat to room temp by letting it set out at least an hour before cooking.<br /><br />I rub my meat too. First with olive oil, then kosher salt, freshly cracked pepper ( a lot of it) and onion powder, then cut slits and insert garlic gloves.<br /><br />Roast in oven on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.<br /><br /> 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). If roast is untied, tie at 3 inch intervals with cotton twine. Place roast in pan, and season. Add more or less seasonings to taste.<br /><br /> 2. Roast in oven for 60 minutes (20 minutes per pound). Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.<br /><br />The secret is bring it to room temp, don't overcook and be sure to let it rest before carving. :)

D

DJ

Simple but effective.<br /><br />1. Rub the roast, liberally, with Liptons dry French Onion Soup mix.<br /><br />2. Sprinkle the rest of the roast with another bag of same.<br /><br />3. Toss in a couple cups of water, and various assorted vegatables of choice, in a baking bag.<br /><br />Note: Potatoes and carrots may increase baking time. I like onions-sliced thin (Vidalia-sweets), mushrooms, carrots.<br /><br />4. Roast until done.<br /><br />You can stick the meat thermometer through the bag without losing the effect.<br /><br />This works for pork roast too.<br /><br />Yummmmmm!

one more cast

Captain

I buy the cheaper cuts of beef so here is how I did my last one..<br /> rub roast with salt, pepper,and garlic and brown all sides in a pan with oil on top of stove. Put roast in roaster or dutch oven. Add a cup of good red wine(by good I mean one that you like to drink)and a cup of beef broth,and a bay leaf or two. cover tightly and roast at 350 until roast is fork tender.If fork has any resistance cook it longer.( I went about 3 hours) This is not a recipe fore prime cuts of beef because it will be W-E-L-L done. remove roast, heat juice on top of stove and add a package of brown gravy mix.If not thick enough add a tablespoon of flour mixed with a little water. Bring to a boil and serve with beef, mashed potatoes and baby carrots sautéed in butter and brown sugar.

brother chris

Commander

Well, here is one of my favourite ways to cook a roast.<br />Take a jar of minced/crushed garlic and put a coating all over the roast(1/4" thick). <br />Place in roasting pan.<br />Add 2 cups of water.<br />Pour worteshire(sp) sauce and soy sauce over the roast.(approx. 4tblsp of each)<br />Add fresh(or dried) thyme and oregano on top of roast. <br />Put lid on pan and cook in 350 degree preheated oven for an hour. <br />Take out of oven and flip roast over so the dried/cooked spices are now in water. <br />Add desired vegies(carrots and potatoes) to pan.<br />Cover pan and cook for another 45 minutes.<br />Remove roast and cook vegies longer(if needed).<br />Make gravy out of the remaining juices in pan.<br />Enjoy.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Ahh! Now that's a meal that says "Home". Yum! Drool!Drool! Now I gotta go out and buy a roast tomorrow. See what ya did? :D

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Another good recipe for an inexpensive roast it this. I take a chuck roast, trim off the excess fat, put a heavy pot on the burner and heat it up VERY hot. Then I drop the roast in and sear it on all sides. Meantime I'm heating the oven to 325. After searing it I put a lid on the pot and stick it in the oven for 2 hours. Remove from oven, slice it. Mix 2 cups water and about 1 1/3 heaping tablespoons of flour and add to the juice in the pot. Put in sliced meat, cover and simmer on the stovetop for about 30 minutes. Very tender and tasty. Add onions , mushrooms, etc while simmering if desired.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Real simple:<br />1. Go to store & buy roast<br />2. Bring home & give to LF to do what she said above.<br />3. Open beer & watch TV 'til it's done.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br /> Real simple:<br />1. Go to store & buy roast<br />2. Bring home & give to LF to do what she said above.<br />3. Open beer & watch TV 'til it's done.
11.gif
<br />Hey MrLF, why do YOU have to go to the store?

ndemge

Commander

Thanks for all the replies... the roast is in the oven, should be done about lunch time :) <br /><br />Cooking this without a trip to the store this is what I went with:.... seemed that the big thing in everyone's reply was to keep it covered and keep the juices in<br /><br />In a covered pot in the oven, It is rubbed with an entire small jar of chopped garlic and heavy on the pepper.<br /><br /> I dumped an entire bottle of Italian Salad dressing on top of the roast.

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br /> Real simple:<br />1. Go to store & buy roast<br />2. Bring home & give to LF to do what she said above.<br />3. Open beer & watch TV 'til it's done.
Spratt: He dosen't ALWAYS bring home the beef. I can't always trust him to get the right cut of meat without specific instructions. Heck he brought home walnuts for pecan pie at Thanksgiving. And some kind of 'light' butter. :eek: I kinda think he opened the beer prior to his trip to the store. :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />
Spratt: He dosen't ALWAYS bring home the beef. I can't always trust him to get the right cut of meat without specific instructions. Heck he brought home walnuts for pecan pie at Thanksgiving. And some kind of 'light' butter. :eek: I kinda think he opened the beer prior to his trip to the store. :D
AND??????? :D :D :D

aspeck

Staff member

i know, too late for you, ndemge, but just did a hind quarter of venison this way and it was yummy! Will work for any piece of beef also ...<br /><br />Took meat and placed it in a ziplock bag with kosher salt, cracked black pepper, about 4 oz of honey, and enough apple juice to cover all the meat. Worked it all together in the bag and let it set in the refrig for about 30 hours. Took it out, popped it in a roaster and added more apple juice (about 30 oz total) and covered with another 4 oz of honey. Cooked at 200 degrees for about 13 hours, then upped temp to 350 for the last 45 minutes of cooking (so the meat would be warm till it was time to serve).<br /><br />Meat fell apart, melted in mouth, guests couldn't tell it was venison, and everyone said it was the best roast they ever et. Enjoy.

cjones4@hvc.rr.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

aspeck - that sounds good. How big a roast did you do? I have a freezer full of venison and would like to give your recipe a try. Most of my roast cuts are kinda small (2 pounds maybe). The 13 hours might be overkill for roasts this size... what do you think?

one more cast

Captain

mooner, You could tie two or three roasts together with kitchen string to make a bigger roast.