Rigid-tubed RIB alternatives

nclex2011

Cadet
Hey guys...

I was wondering if anyone knew anymore boats like these...
http://www.dinghyus.com/rigid-boats-info/sport12

I've done alot of research on RIBS and rigid boats. If I could have something in between that would be great, unfortunately the link above is the only manufacturer I've seen that offers a fixed noninflatable collar which has all the benefits of a RIB without the need of dealing with the ridiculous expensive replacement cost of the tubing.

I'm wondering if anyone could point me to any other existing/future manufacturers of such a boat like this.

Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Rigid-tubed RIB alternatives

I believe that boat comes with it's own Kool-Aid supply...The design has been around for ten or 15 years and has never become "popular". I would suggest you read their own comparison guide and then separate reality from fantasy.

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

From the comparison of RIBs "Rib inflatable boats are heavy for their size. As an example a popular 11' 10" rib inflatable weighs in empty at over 450 lbs.

Add a 30 hp motor a few options and you will approach 650 lbs. total weight."

The Titan is 370cm and weights 130 lbs so this is BS.

"Most ribs have multiple air chambers; however, if one is punctured and deflates, it's unlikely the boat will get you home."

Again BS according to the book by Jim Trefethen in almost 30 years of boating with an inflatable he has always been able to get to shore. When a chamber goes down it mostly doesn't all deflate. Even when a friend managed to get a fishing hook into the boat he was able to fix it simply and get home.

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Description: Sport 12
Length: 11 ft 10 in.
Beam: 5 ft. 4 in.
Interior Width: 37.5 in.
Transom Height: 20 in.
Tube Diameter: 17 in.
Draft: 10 in.
Approx. Weight: 335 lbs.
Capacity: 750 lbs.
Maximum HP: 40 HP

Capacity of 750 lbs is almost almost half of the 1452lbs the Titan can carry.

If my boat got swamped I'd rather be in a RIB

JimXeod

Seaman Apprentice

My opinion is either get an inflatable, or a hard dinghy. Do not try and get something that claims to be both! Inflatables are great, but one of it's limitations are less interior space due to tube size. In appears on this boat your are getting the same space, with none of the advantages of a true inflatable, which are many.

As for their claims of inflatables durabilty and safety limitations, they are way off base. I have seem them log some pretty heavy work, stand up to a lot of abuse, and still manage to do their job. I worked a LOT out of of inflatables as a Navy diver, and we beat the tar out of them, couldn't always store or maintain them well and they still performed. They survive drops out of aircraft, being tossed around in vehicles like rag dolls, drug through brush and over pavement, and being ridiculously over loaded. Oh, and over motored, but that is a whole other story ;)