riding around with the bimini top up?

jprice

Seaman
Ok, let me preface this by saying that I've owned my boat for all of four days, and only had it out on the water twice.
Yes, I'm a noob.

So anyway, my seadoo speedster came with a bimini top. I still haven't put it up. I guess I've envisioned it as something to put up while casually lounging around. Kind of like a beach umbrella.

My question is, can this thing handle me tooling around at 50mph?
In my mind, I visualize somebody with an umbrella in a hurricane. No match.
Are the bimini tops meant to be used/open when riding around, or should they only be put up when hanging around?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: riding around with the bimini top up?

What condition is it in??

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depends a lot on the quality of the bimini and the fabric. We have a seven year old Sunbrella top with three SS supports--still in good condition. But I won't go over 30 mph w/o stowing it. The load on the fabric at 50 mph is nearly three times that at 30. Besides that it raises hell with your gas mileage.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

My top has two front and two rear straps, so I have no prob cruisin at WOT with it up. ;)

MRS

Commander

If it is tight and the straps do not slip mine is good to go at 40mph......:D

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

My top has two front and two rear straps, so I have no prob cruisin at WOT with it up. ;)

yep, me too. we leave it up all the time, from the time we launch til the time we leave. its held up great for 4 years now.

jprice

Seaman

Don't know the model/type, but as far as I can tell, it looks brand new.
Guess I'll put it up and take it slow for a while, see how it goes.
If it rips loose, it'll give me a good story to post back here... :eek:

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, let me preface this by saying that I've owned my boat for all of four days, and only had it out on the water twice.
Yes, I'm a noob.

So anyway, my seadoo speedster came with a bimini top. I still haven't put it up. I guess I've envisioned it as something to put up while casually lounging around. Kind of like a beach umbrella.

My question is, can this thing handle me tooling around at 50mph?
In my mind, I visualize somebody with an umbrella in a hurricane. No match.
Are the bimini tops meant to be used/open when riding around, or should they only be put up when hanging around?

Yes, most are, we run ours up at all speeds in all conditions with no harm. Stainless versions are much stronger than aluminum and the top must be secured and the stays set correctly.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had mine going close to 50 with the top up. Really forgot it was up and when I realized it I slowed down to about 40. Seemed fine though to be honest. Just didn't think it was a good idea to go that fast with it up, but I cruise at 35-40 with it up when we do use it. I don't use mine very often though.

45Auto

Commander

We cruise in the 30's and 40's all summer with the top up and a 100" tube strapped to it. Ran it up over 60 a couple of times without thinking about it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I run 50 into the wind often with mine up. I've also had a strap fail though . . . not pretty. Let's just say I subsequently needed a tubing bender and that stainless tubes are a biotch to straighten :eek:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If I am going to run more than a couple of minutes I close it and secure with bungees--I have solid stays in the front/straps in the back, so it remains up and out of the way when folded. Helps the mileage; why stress it; won't stop rain; don't need the shade when you have the breeze! But the bottom line is don't sweat it, use your judgment, consider the risk of failure at high speeds. Personally I'd fold it up if I were going to go over 40.

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some manufacturers will put a label underneath the top indicating the speed you can go with the top open. Ours is 35 MPH.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I run around at 45 all the time with mine up but now you guys have me worried.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I have a sugar sand tango with a factory sunbrella bimini top (very similar to the OP's boat/top) There are numerous warnings not to do full throttle with the top up, which is mid 50 mph. It isn't just the wind forces, but you can hit some pretty serious waves in a small, light boat at 50 mph!

and it really screws with your top speed and mpg. if you want WOT you don't want a top slowing you down!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have had our boat now for a month. Purchased New. Ran the boat with the Bimini up (sometimes not fully opened, other times fully opened) and had no problems until this last weekend. Launched with it up but still stowed in the zipped up cover (as in the photo below) and as I got onto plane the middle post, starboard side, attach point at the lower end of the windscreen pulled out (screws just stripped out) and pole flopped around and gashed my arm. Boat is under warranty so I wrote a "nice" email to Hipp Marine - Newport Beach and Maxum. Tech is coming out to re-install attach point. I was told though that it was ok to run her at speed with the bimini up. Long story short - I guess it depends on the quality of the workmanship in the installation.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Our Sunbrella Bimini has a max speed label of 35mph. I have only used my top one time and never went past 35. If you plan to go fast which it seems a lot of people do, put a twist or two on the straps and they won't flap nearly as much.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I guess it depends on the quality of the workmanship in the installation.
And the quality of the materials, and the age of the straps, and the adjustment of the bimini, too loose, front too high, too low . . . just right . . .