reword old?

Stassson

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '85 Evirude 175V6. It has low hours but sat many years unused, about 8. I Full thortle it and it takes awile for the engine to catch up to the WOT once it does it runs great. I seems I have to nurse the throtle up to 4000RPM once there the boat plans nicely. BUt I have to work the throtle up slowly. The motor runs 5100RPM WOT I was told that it should run 4900. ALso told that if I move upto a 19 pitch prop I will gaine MPH.And bring down the RPM to where it should be. Its a heavy '85 Chapperal 20'c/c. It runs 48 mph now checked by 3 differnt bpats next to me plus my GPS. Nothing has ever been done to the motor itself or to the wireing like coils or power packs. JUst plugs. I am replacing the wires this weekend. Should I replace coils and things like that?n Any help would be great thanks

NathanY

Commander
Re: reword old?

It sound as though all that motor needs is a good cleaning. IE carbs, fuel pump, plugs, and some fresh gas. If it where my motor, I would not change the prop. You just dont have to run it at WOT to achieve max rpm's and that is better on the motor.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I believe the full throttle range on that motor is 4750 - 5750 RPM. I wouldn't do anything to lower the top RPM as you will start lugging the motor. The best thing for O/B's long-term is for them to be propped to operate in the top 1/4 of the range.

Stassson

Seaman Apprentice

Jack are you saying it's afe to run that thing all the way to 5750 RPM. My tach goesto 5500. I was wondering if the 19 pitch would give me more top and I know it will lower the RPM wich I have been told should max out at 4750 to 5100 dont want to lose off the line performance should I just leave it well enough alone right now the bpoat does 48 MPH I was told the 19 will make it faster on the top and about 55MPH. But also dont want to hurt the life of the motor new ones arent cheap thanks for the hlp