reverse goes forward

imperial184

Cadet
Hello i am new here and just bought my first boat. its an 88 imperial with a 3.7 inboard/outboard mercruiser. it would not start for me so i began playing with it and found the points were bad. so i cleaned em up with sandpaper and she started up but ran a little odd so i cleaned up the spark plugs and headed to the river. it seems it doesnt go into neutral. unless the prop is supposed to spin slowly in nuetral, any how it stalled a few times half way to full throttle. and when i put it in reverse it just continues forward. any help, ideas or advice Highly appreciated

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: reverse goes forward

Possible bad lower shift cable.
Or way out of adjustment.

imperial184

Cadet

thanks any way for me to check it. like i said first boat, never even been on one before today

Bifflefan

Commander

Well, in my opinion you have a good motor there. Alot of people will say different, but they probably have never had one.
They are bit of a challenge to find parts for, but they have good power and are really good on gas.

BTW, try this.
Boat on trailer engine off, put in forward gear, prop should click one way and lock the other. Go to reverse and it should click the other way. In neutral it should spin free with maybe just a slight ticking noise, or not.
If you cant do this, try adjusting the lower cable.
One piece of advise, get a manual and read it 5 times cover to cover. Then read the section your working on before you do anything.

imperial184

Cadet

well i believe it was in nuetral when i tried to spin it and it only went, I believe clockwise, and didnt notice any clicking. the other direction was not happening i didnt try shifting though and as far as a manuel goes, i doubt it i cant seem to find any info on these boats through google unless its an advertisment but i will continue searching. thanks

imperial184

Cadet

btw. for the whole 20 mins i had it out tonight it did seem pretty powerful and fast, but then again, ive never been in another boat before. I am happy with it other than this little problem. I think i got a good deal its in good shape and only paid 2000 for it with a 91 eagle trailer

dubs283

Vice Admiral

you're gonna need another points set - sandpaper will ruin the contacts

probably want to do a full tune-up - see this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=335302

as far as the shifting, just replace the shift cable, its probably due for one - this will also give you a chance to inspect the transom assy/bellows

if you post your drive model/serial number there are folks here who can direct you to a website where you can download the OEM manual

you may want to start a new thread asking for a manual for that

fwiw: you may want to do a search on iboats here for "470" to see some info on your engine

imperial184

Cadet

thanks. i will do that. but it will have to wait for tomorrow because there is no way to park my boat at my house in the dark by myself. i droped it off by my dads. and i plan on replacing the points. i just had to put it in the water i been anxious waiting all day to get her running and try er out. Im sure you understand. lol

cpt ron jc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like the shift cable was put in wrong i had a 18 searay well make a long storie short i had someone service the drive he put the shift cable in wrong,same thing forward boat went reverse it should be an easy fix get a manual or have someone who knows look at out drive,i would do a tune up ,plugs ,rotor,ect to do this y need a timeing light one of the main things is the timeing if its off the motor will run lousy or not start at all.

Bifflefan

Commander

as far as a manuel goes, i doubt it i cant seem to find any info on these boats through google

I didnt say google, I said a manual.
NAPA carries them them in stock or can have them the next day.
Its not the boat you need the manual for its the engine and out drive.

The manual is right here, Click this link.

imperial184

Cadet

thanks. i think i may just be retarded lol, today i called a marine shop about some points (10 dollars) and asked about my situation. here the whole time i have been pushing a throttle button before i shift. so today i forced it with out hitting that button and the cables on the passengerside of the motor moved. so i might have reveres. but i tried to spin the repellar in each gear and it will only turn clockwise

imperial184

Cadet

well thank you guys for your help and advise. i called a shop and they said i was lookin around 300 dollars to get it fixed so i decided to tamper with it and got all gears working. the cable was corroded up or somthing it wasnt sliding inside the sleeve so i took it out and tried adjusting it untill i had all three and sprayed it with carb and choke cleaner. runs much better but still needs new points installed.but it does lean to the left any ideas on that. I will start searching the forum but thought id get your opinions too.